MSU-Alabama

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: MSU-Alabama

Post by Mikey »

They just need to give Henry the ball twice as many times.
Shouldn't be a problem.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I'm not a big season stats guy. Too many variables and unbalanced schedules to draw anything definitive from the numbers. I care more about the health and performance of teams going into their bowl games. November MSU was much healthier and playing much better than September/October MSU.

I think this is one of those games in which both teams probably view the other as an ideal match-up. Both teams look to run the ball and stop the run. Both teams prefer the opposing QB to be white and relatively slow.

I can't remember the last time MSU's defense really got worked over by a pro-style offense. They struggle more with up tempo passing attacks. Maybe Wisconsin in the 2012 B1G ccg, but they had an elite dual-threat QB to compliment their smash mouth running game. Jacob Coker is no Russell Wilson. But, Henry is a monster the likes of which MSU hasn't seen...so we'll see how that works out.

When MSU has the ball, they will look to open things up a bit more than Bama. They'll mix in a combo of power run, zone-read, jet sweeps and various trickeration with the man in motion, and a traditional passing attack. MSU doesn't run a lot of screens or dink and dunk type stuff. Most everything is down field into tight windows which is one reason Connor Cook's completion % is rather low. Also expect to see a couple head-scratching wildcat plays with a backup QB or WR and Cook lined up out wide for a very hard fought 1 yard gain. If my remote survives the game as a result of these calls it will be a minor miracle.

Biggest concern for me is just Bama's depth on the defensive line and MSU's ability to move the ball with any consistency on them. Cook will have to extend drives with his arm or it'll be lights out. When Bama gets the ball back they'll just look to bleed MSU to death. Those 2 and 3 yard runs in the 1st quarter eventually turn into 7 and 8 yard runs in the 4th when Bama's able to dominate TOP.

Basically, if Cook is money on 3rd down like he has been most of his career, MSU has a great shot to win. If not, they most likely lose. It's pretty much that simple for me.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:But, Henry is a monster the likes of which MSU hasn't seen...so we'll see how that works out.

Facts can be your friend.

Royce Freeman had about the same yards-per-game, and it took way less carries to get it, ergo a much better YPC, and was just about as effective at trucking fools up the middle.

And my memory tells me MSU's defense did a very good job of limiting him.

And lart I checked, that Ezekiel Elliot guy is kind of a beast (who also clowned Henry in YPC, while playing a similar style). But I've (INTENTIONALLY) forgotten which team he plays for... but I think they might have played MSU, as well.

Since when did you become such a SECBSH?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:But, Henry is a monster the likes of which MSU hasn't seen...so we'll see how that works out.

Facts can be your friend.

Royce Freeman had about the same yards-per-game, and it took way less carries to get it, ergo a much better YPC, and was just about as effective at trucking fools up the middle.

And my memory tells me MSU's defense did a very good job of limiting him.

And lart I checked, that Ezekiel Elliot guy is kind of a beast (who also clowned Henry in YPC, while playing a similar style). But I've (INTENTIONALLY) forgotten which team he plays for... but I think they might have played MSU, as well.

Since when did you become such a SECBSH?
You're forgetting that Henry won the Heisman. That puts him somewhere between God and Matthew McConaughey on the celestial scale.

You did watch the 90 minute presentation show, didn't you?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Part of my comment had to do with Henry being a guy that could get the ball 87 times.

Freeman and Elliot are great but they aren't really work horse backs. Not to say they couldn't be, they just aren't asked to be.

The all around combo of Henry's talent, size, and the attention he commands (seeing as he is basically his team's entire offense), puts him in a separate category imo.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

McCaffrey should have won the Heisman, but Henry's an absolute beast. He'll get his, but I think MSU still ekes out the win 3-2.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Goober McTuber wrote:McCaffrey should have won the Heisman, but Henry's an absolute beast. He'll get his, but I think MSU still ekes out the win 3-2.
That will result in a 4.5 hour game. Commercial breaks after each of 19 combined punts.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Florida is a joke. Saw them twice and they are horrific.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Sudden Sam wrote: The Gators' D is exceptional. As good as anyone's.

Their offense is as bad as anyones' I've ever seen.
Meh. They gave up 30 something to LSU, 20 something to Tennessee, and high twenties to FSU and Bama. Only one of those was at the opponents place. Hardly performances that I would call exceptional.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

SEC!SEC!
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Sparty has as good a resume as anyone and much better than bama.

Sparty vs OU in the 'ship.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

WolverineSteve wrote:Sparty has as good a resume as anyone and much better than bama.

Sparty vs OU in the 'ship.

^^^^ This. I might be a B1GBSH, but I think Alabama is going to get absolutely stuffed by Sparty's front 4 and decent LB corps. That will force them to throw the ball which may be their only hope vs Sparty's secondary. That said, 'Bama's DB's will get sodomomized when MSU goes vertical on them, IMHO. We shall see. Tired of eSECpn's schtick.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Sudden Sam wrote:Methinks y'all might be surprised at how good a QB Coker is. One, he's a brutish runner. He'll put a lick on a LB. Two, his TD pass to Mullaney against Florida was fit into an NFL-size opening. Can't find a decent video of it.
Coker's fine. He's in the mold of your typical Saban QB -- an efficient game-manager who can make some throws, and has some athleticism, but isn't going to wow you with anything in particular.

If this game falls on Coker's arm, that's good news for MSU. That'll mean the Bama run game is getting stuffed for the most part. Otherwise, Coker's just gonna be asked to put the ball in Henry's belly and toss some short stuff with the occasional deep shot.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'll bag on State for not controlling a game from start to finish but they've been good at keeping it close a finding a way to pull it out in the end. They didn't lead at any point against Michigan or Ohio State but set themselves up to have a chance to win on the last play. If it's within a score heading into the 4th quarter, Dantonio has the Tide right where he wants them. Burbridge quietly had a strong year...one of State's most reliable receivers I can remember.

That being said, this one is definitely going under...I'm picturing Alabama edging them out 17-13.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i like Sparty in this one. not sure THIS Bama team knows what to do when another real front 7 shows up.

i haven't believed in this OU team all year. ain't going to stop now.

if i'm clemson, i'm #1 seed, #1 ranked team and a vegas underdog? i'm whipping that card for all it's worth.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Sudden Sam wrote:
King Crimson wrote:i like Sparty in this one. not sure THIS Bama team knows what to do when another real front 7 shows up.
Wisconsin, Florida, Arkansas and LSU might ask what you mean by "real front 7".

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/24
with respect, i stick by what i said. none of those names are making me rethink it much. what Bama does to other people, is what MSU wants. LSU and Wiscy are ranked in the bottom five of the top 25. Arkansas lost 5 games. UF? South Florida is getting votes. if Bama wins, and they might, i'll be the first in here to congrats you Sam.

Where is our South Florida fan?
Last edited by King Crimson on Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

most teams are going to be afraid to play Alabama in a grind it out, let the play clock run, hat on hat sort of game. i don't think Sparty is that team.

i think Sparty does it all pretty good at all 22 positions.
"
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

In a battle of Good vs. Evil, my money is on Good. Go Sparty.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Sudden Sam wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:In a battle of Good vs. Evil, my money is on Good. Go Sparty.
Evil beat your Badgers. You can't let it go, can you?
We're counting on our big brother to even the score.

DIE, MOTHERCFUCKER!! DIE!!!

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Sudden Sam wrote:I was just pointing out that Wisky, in particular, has much better rushing defense numbers than MSU.
Stats are for losers.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Sudden Sam wrote:Is he really that universally hated?
I think I've understated the universal level of hatred and loathing that college football fans have for Saban.

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Sudden Sam wrote:So with Saban and Kiffen, all we lack is a Woody Hayes-type for a trifecta of reviled coaches.
Saban and Woody Hayes may be reviled by some, but they are coaches. Lane Kiffin is a guy living a charmed life in a dark world.
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Don't you mean "Joey Freshwater?"

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Sudden Sam wrote:So with Saban and Kiffen, all we lack is a Woody Hayes-type for a trifecta of reviled coaches.
Woody Hayes was a god.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Sudden Sam wrote: If MSU beats Bama, I'll be pulling for them to win it all. Always have liked the Spartans since way back.
Of course, MSU took your balck boys when you refused to play them.

Also, I like MSU +10. What an absurd line.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

On paper, looks like this will be a close game. But the big boys from Bama know this scene very well, much better than their counterparts.

Hope I'm wrong, but Tide rolls. 34-17.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

I think it's tight going deep into the 3rd, but Bama will wear Sparty down eventually. Connor Cook has to play like a first rounder in order for Sparty to win. He's just to inaccurate though.

27-16 Tide
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

MSU beat writer saying Cook's shoulder is "better" but still in pain. But, if he's cleared to play then no excuses. Won't be surprised to hear he's getting surgery after the season.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

This is pathetic.
Python
Elwood

Post by Python »

Severe SEC bias.
Python
Elwood

Post by Python »

THAT was the number 3 team in the country?
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Real hard to play offense when the other team can drop 2 safties back, cover with 5 and get consistent pressure with 4 rushers. It was men against boys out there.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Not shocked Bama won...that defense has gotten stronger as the season went on. They'll send the majority of those starters to the NFL.

I like the title game matchup...still have to like Bama though.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Props to Bama. That was a pretty thorough ass kicking. Not much else to say. Their defense was as good as advertised and prevented MSU from doing anything on the ground or in the air. All in all, it was a great season. Big Ten Champs with wins at the Big House and the Horse Shoe, so I can't complain too much. On to basketball...
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Congrats to Alabama and Sam. Enjoy the win and get ready for the big showdown on the 11th. Should be a great title game. None of which compares to the importance of the upcoming Rose Bowl. :)
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Python wrote:That WAS the number 3 team in the country.
FTFY.