TCU to Big 12

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

TCU to Big 12

Post by Left Seater »

Reports state TCU has been invited to join Big 12.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Re: TCU to Big 12

Post by M2 »

My mom went to TCU out of high school (Hillcrest in Dallas)... thought the school was so shitty she bolted for Boulder and had to get a job in Yellowstone during the summers to pay for it.

Went on to San Francisco State then Stanfurd for her Masters and PHD.... so she batted around .500

Psst.... for those of us that don't get our news from ESPN.... we'll be watching a PAC 12 College Football game on TV tonight...
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

I really don't like this move but I also don't see many better options other than maybe BYU.

Dallas Television market is already in the Big XII footprint with Texas and OU. Not too mention TCU's overall athletic department is pretty abysmal.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
txangler74
Elwood

Post by txangler74 »

Not to mention the big 12 just got rid of one cry baby coach why add another.
Last edited by txangler74 on Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F-You man, I'll never go to Texas. I hated Texas from that point on.
-Eric Dickerson on his recruitment to the University of Texas
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i agree with SCS. TCU doesn't add much....except maybe baseball. and does increase whatever role the "Texas legislature" sees fit to appoint to itself in conference matters. We'll see where TCU is as a football program after the Patterson era? heck, after the Andy Dalton era.

keeping Missouri is the big thing if the "XII" is to be viable on it's own....moving forward.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

It would probably be ridiculously difficult, but now would be the time for someone to form a brand new conference.

I know it's unrealistic, but look at all the teams looking for a place to call home, and many of them are in a reasonable sphere of travel (some are a stretch as well).

ATM
BYU
Boise St
Misery
TCU

And if BE football is crumbling, maybe poach a couple of them. Since it would be a halfway decent conference, maybe some CUSA teams might come on board?

I dunno... just thinking.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

The Big 12 voted earlier Thursday to invite TCU into the conference and the school is expected to accept, according to sources. TCU chancellor Victor Boschini Jr. issued a statement..."These discussions with the Big 12 have huge implications for TCU," the statement said. "It will allow us to return to old rivalries, something our fans and others have been advocating for many years. As always, we must consider what's best for TCU and our student-athletes in this ever-changing landscape of collegiate athletics. We look forward to continuing these discussions with the Big 12."
How is that 6 team Big East looking right about now? Does this mean the Big East goes back to basketball only?

SCS, yes there are a ton of fans of UT and OU in the DFW metroplex, but TCU does add more punch to the TV contracts.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Left Seater wrote:How is that 6 team Big East looking right about now? Does this mean the Big East goes back to basketball only?
Latest rumor is that the Big East adds UCF and Temple for all sports, Navy for football only, and Villanova upgrades its football program to 1-A level. East Carolina remains a possibility as well. http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index ... _join.html
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:Latest rumor is that the Big East adds UCF and Temple for all sports, Navy for football only, and Villanova upgrades its football program to 1-A level. East Carolina remains a possibility as well. http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index ... _join.html
Stout conference you'd have there. :meds:

Big East should lose their AQ.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

IndyFrisco wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:Latest rumor is that the Big East adds UCF and Temple for all sports, Navy for football only, and Villanova upgrades its football program to 1-A level. East Carolina remains a possibility as well. http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index ... _join.html
Stout conference you'd have there. :meds:

Big East should lose their AQ.
As I understand it, that wouldn't happen until 2013, at the earliest.

In any event, it likely will matter little if Boise State winds up in a BCS conference, as the Big East champ will be in decent shape for an AQ bid (only needs to finish in Top 12) in that event.

From strictly a football standpoint, TCU is likely a bigger loss for the Big East than either Pitt or Syracuse was. Pitt and Syracuse have combined for only two BCS bids in the history of the BCS, and neither school has ever ranked higher than #15 in the final regular-season BCS rankings. Then again, TCU might not have left had Pitt and Syracuse not left first.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

SunCoastSooner wrote:I really don't like this move but I also don't see many better options other than maybe BYU.

Dallas Television market is already in the Big XII footprint with Texas and OU. Not too mention TCU's overall athletic department is pretty abysmal.
THe TCU was made because BYU isn't a certainty at this point.

If Missouri leaves and the Big 12 wants to stay at 10 programs, then Louisville is apparently next in line.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:

From strictly a football standpoint, TCU is likely a bigger loss for the Big East than either Pitt or Syracuse was. Pitt and Syracuse have combined for only two BCS bids in the history of the BCS, and neither school has ever ranked higher than #15 in the final regular-season BCS rankings. Then again, TCU might not have left had Pitt and Syracuse not left first.
You are correct in that it would be 2013 if Pitt and Syracuse stay for the full 27 month exit period. However, there has been talk among some Big East members about letting them leave early. Take their money and let them walk, why have two team around that don't want to be around? Seems this group is being led by PVD who would like to see the basketball end of the conf take back control. If Pitt and Syracuse can get out early, the Big East must be ready to add two teams the day before they leave because if at any time the conf only has 6 football members then the auto bid goes away instantly.

Funny that Temple is now back in the conversation after being kicked out a few years ago. Also, if other conferences come calling I think Louisville, Cincy, or South Florida would all jump in a heartbeat.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Left Seater wrote:if other conferences come calling I think Louisville, Cincy, or South Florida would all jump in a heartbeat.
Louisville and Cincinnati have been rumored to the Big 12 and WVU could be going top the SEC is Missouri stays put.

We're basically fucked right now.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

King Crimson wrote:i agree with SCS. TCU doesn't add much....except maybe baseball. and does increase whatever role the "Texas legislature" sees fit to appoint to itself in conference matters. We'll see where TCU is as a football program after the Patterson era? heck, after the Andy Dalton era.

keeping Missouri is the big thing if the "XII" is to be viable on it's own....moving forward.
TCU's baseball team has only been good very recently. Three years ago was their first ever trip to a super regional much less the CWS. Their basketball program is at best description pathetic; 2 trips to the tourny since it expanded to 64 teams and I believe they lost in the first round in both. The more I think about it the less I like it.

And no TCU does not add punch to the TV contract. Oklahoma and Texas Alumni associations dwarf that of TCU's and it is their home city. The number of Tshirt fans has to be even less than that.

MuchoBulls wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote:I really don't like this move but I also don't see many better options other than maybe BYU.

THe TCU was made because BYU isn't a certainty at this point.

If Missouri leaves and the Big 12 wants to stay at 10 programs, then Louisville is apparently next in line.
Actually BYU is pretty well off the table. Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State won't take them because they won't budge on the no Sunday games in any sport. creates havoc for the smaller sports that involve series like baseball and softball and is even more detrimental to television contracts for basketball and women's basketball, especially in regards to the CBS contract because they really push the Sunday college hoops in the late winter and spring. Looks like Louisville is the next if someone gets an offer and their are whispers of Memphis or even fucking Tulane which makes me physically ill to think about.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

King Crimson wrote:keeping Missouri is the big thing if the "XII" is to be viable on it's own....moving forward.
I'd like Mizzou to stay, you don't replace a century worth of rivalries at the drop of a hat.

Does TCU joining the XII influence the decision? I'm guessing the invite went out in a hurry to do just that, despite concerns over adding another Texas school.

Mizzou recruits Texas heavily, TCU would only help that cause.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

War Wagon wrote:
I'd like Mizzou to stay, you don't replace a century worth of rivalries at the drop of a hat.
Funny you say that cause aTm is running commercials here titled, Change is Coming. In the spot they mention multiple times tradition. My wife hates the spots because she thinks they are walking away from tradition.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Papa Willie wrote:All any of the teams are ever going to do is to cry about Texas and their TV deal. Sounds to me like Nebraska & A&M are the only ones to have figured that out so far.
:?
"Keys, woman!"
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

We're getting the band back together!

Sincerely,
The Southwest Conference.
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:
Papa Willie wrote:All any of the teams are ever going to do is to cry about Texas and their TV deal. Sounds to me like Nebraska & A&M are the only ones to have figured that out so far.
I laughed, even before I got to your post.
txangler74
Elwood

Post by txangler74 »

One aspect of this that puzzles me is the fact that OU was on board with this. In regards to football recruiting they by far will be the most effected. TCU already goes head to head with OU in the north and east Texas regions. Now having the Big 12 on their resume it should be easier for Patterson to land those kids.

Edit.....A&M will be the most effected, this should all but shut them out of North Texas.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:
what he said. all of the decent big12 programs have been unhappy about tejas.

and tcu wont get recruits. oklahoma gets first pick. oklahoma gets second pick. texas gets third pick. tcu gets the scraps that okie state and arkansas don't want.
why is my neighborhood on fire
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

and the Big 12 should invite Lakeland to join. Probably beat Iowa State.
txangler74
Elwood

Post by txangler74 »

Bizzarofelice wrote:and tcu wont get recruits. oklahoma gets first pick. oklahoma gets second pick. texas gets third pick. tcu gets the scraps that okie state and arkansas don't want.
Currently they do pretty well, that's playing in the Mt West. I imagine being in the Big 12 will help matters. You might have noticed they've been a top 10 team the last 3-4 years, it takes some talent to accomplish that.
minorthreat
Elwood

Post by minorthreat »

Bizzarofelice wrote:and the Big 12 should invite Lakeland to join. Probably beat Iowa State.
Blasphemy!
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Sudden Sam wrote:
txangler74 wrote:You might have noticed they've been a top 10 team the last 3-4 years, it takes some talent to accomplish that.
Not really. When you only have to play one decent team all season, it's easy.

See Boise State.

quoted for truth
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Left Seater wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:

You are correct in that it would be 2013 if Pitt and Syracuse stay for the full 27 month exit period. However, there has been talk among some Big East members about letting them leave early. Take their money and let them walk, why have two team around that don't want to be around?
From what I've heard, Marinotti wants to hold both Pitt and Syracuse to the full 27-month commitment. That would mean that they can't leave before December 2013, which in reality translates to July 2014. Not saying that couldn't change, though.
Seems this group is being led by PVD who would like to see the basketball end of the conf take back control.
If the Big East were to drop football (as you alluded to elsewhere), two possibilities exist, but both would be problematic from a practical standpoint.

First, the non-football schools could split from the football schools. The idea of a so-called "Catholic Conference" is nothing new; in fact, it was first floated as one possibility as far back as 2003, albeit under different circumstances until recently. Most likely, the non-football schools would poach a few additional schools from the A-10 -- I would guess the most likely possibilities, based on geography and on the Catholic affiliation of all members, would be St. Joe's, Dayton, Xavier and Saint Louis. For mens' baskeball, this would be a pretty solid conference, better in fact than any other conference not tied in with an automatic BCS bid in football. The problem is, it's not a very good conference for olympic sports, and for that reason, both ND and Georgetown have gone on the record as being opposed to such a conference. I suspect that if this is the route taken, both ND and Georgetown would look for other options first. Either one could potentially sink this conference by refusing to join. Both of them refusing to join almost certainly would sink the conference.

The second option is a bit more off the wall, but I suppose possible. The Big XII could absorb the remaining Big East football members under its banner, but for football only. That approach would have a few advantages and a few disadvantages.

Advantages:

- Assuming the Big East were to drop football (I don't think they''d have an alternative in this scenario), I see nothing in the NCAA rules that would prohibit such an arrangement.

- ND and Georgetown probably are both more likely to remain part of a Big East under this format, since the Big East would continue to include UConn, Cincinnati, Louisville and West Virginia for basketball, and better olympic sports.

- This format would allow the Big East football members to keep homes for all of their olympic sports. For example, each of the Big East schools in question fields a mens' soccer team (Louisville is a national power, in fact) and Rutgers fields a mens' lacrosse team. The Big XII doesn't offer those sports.

- The Big XII would become the nation's first 16-team conference, at least in football, and that might strengthen its long-term survival odds. By contrast, if the Big XII were to pluck, say, Cincinnati and Louisville from the Big East, I think they might actually endanger their long-term survival odds, since that would only increase their numbers to 12, and likely would hasten the demise of the Big East, at least as a football conference, in the process.

Disadvantages:

- I'm not sure the Big East would want to keep Rutgers and USF under this arrangement, at least not for basketball.

- It would require the Big XII to use some level of creativity as to divisional arrangements and scheduling. Likely Missouri and Kansas would be placed in different divisions. Imho the Big XII made a mistake by not making Nebraska-Oklahoma an annual contest, and I think they would have to do that for Missouri-Kansas in order to hold the conference together.

- This would require an unprecedented level of cooperation between two conferences. I'm not sure the Big East and Big XII could pull this off.

- This would force the Big XII into a hybrid status, which is uncharted territory for them.
If Pitt and Syracuse can get out early, the Big East must be ready to add two teams the day before they leave because if at any time the conf only has 6 football members then the auto bid goes away instantly.
Does that include the off-season as well? I thought that as long as they had eight teams in every season, they'd continue to retain Division 1-A status. Losing that, of course, is worse than merely dropping the BCS automatic bid, as all bowl tie-ins would go away.

As long as they can retain a minimum of eight members, I don't think it much matters when Pitt and Syracuse leave. As I understand it, the current BCS contract runs through the 2013 season, and as long as the Big East retains 1-A status as a football conference, it will have an automatic BCS bid at least through the end of that season.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Sudden Sam wrote:
txangler74 wrote:You might have noticed they've been a top 10 team the last 3-4 years, it takes some talent to accomplish that.
Not really. When you only have to play one decent team all season, it's easy.

See Boise State.
If it's so easy how come those are the only two "mid majors" doing it? Pure coincidence that the same two teams go 11-1 every year?