So, how's your team doing?

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Dinsdale
Lord Google

So, how's your team doing?

Post by Dinsdale »

Mine rocks. I've watched almost every game, and this upperclassmen-laden team is the real deal. They've often "plaed down" to the level of the competition, but that problem seems to be fixed. 7 very good players.

Split the 2 games with UCLA. Blew Zona out of the building (to add to the longest home-winning streak in the country -- been over 2 years).

Dillon Brooks will be the PAC12 Player of the Year (with Lonzo Ball a close second -- he's really freaking good).

This March (or does it bleed into April these days?), the Ducks could well be cutting down the nets. Recognize, beyotches. And Altman hasn't been loading up on thugs of late... which is nice. Just canadians (3 of them).
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Re: So, how's your team doing?

Post by Goober McTuber »

Seems like every time I go to the tournament when it's at the Bradley Center, Oregon is there. Pretty sure Wisky knocked them out of the tourney 3 years ago. The Bradley Center is one of the very oldest NBA arenas, yet they got first round games in 2010, 2014 and 2017. Something like 6 times since 1992. With a new arena being built, pretty sure we'll see the NCAAs back in town again within a few years.

Wisky is underachieving big time this year. Probably one and done, and might not even make it to Milwaukee.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I think Oregon is good enough that they'll get the #2 in the West for a change, now that the openers aren't in Portland. Unless a whole bunch of crazy stuff happens, and they get a #1 elsewhere.

Wisky is 27 in the RPI -- they'll be in. Or is the 2nd round in Milwaukee?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:I think Oregon is good enough that they'll get the #2 in the West for a change, now that the openers aren't in Portland. Unless a whole bunch of crazy stuff happens, and they get a #1 elsewhere.

Wisky is 27 in the RPI -- they'll be in. Or is the 2nd round in Milwaukee?
I'd call it the 1st and 2nd rounds. I think the NCAA even gave up calling the play-in games the "first round".
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Just saw a projection (that's likely worthless) that Wisky could play Kal in the 1st Round in the East.

Haven't seen much Wisky. Kal is big, tough, and slow. If they get you in a slowdown game, they're very good at it. If you run on them, they struggle.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Update:

My team is doing OK.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Stick a fork in mine. :oops:

The writing was pretty much on the wall when the Big East, as a football conference evaporated. UConn had one hope, getting pickup up by the ACC who rescued BC and the 'cuse. UConn got left out in the cold and had to join the Island of misfit NCAA programs, the AAC or whatever the fukk it's called.

This doomed their BTPCF aspirations completely and it seems to have also taken out, what was one of the most successful BTPCBB programs of the past 20 years.

Ollie, who was looking good a few years back when he led them to a title in his second season, is dead coach walking.

Not sure he could have stopped it really. NCAA hoops is all about recruiting these days, or crossing your fingers that a core of players hang around for 3-4 years. When the Big East went away and the ACC told them to piss up a rope, they were as good as done.

At this point, it would be best to pretend the football program never even existed and see if the Big East, which still has basketball cred, will take them back. But, I doubt that will happen. Looks like they are content being a small private catholic school. basketball program.

I do see one hail mary pass they might make to at least get some attention and who knows, maybe a few recruits and that would be to ask Geno to take a break from stockpiling women's titles (11 and counting) and take a shot at coaching real basketball. He has already proven he is a master recruiter and motivator, and that is half the battle. It would be fun to watch and if he could pull it off, he would go down as posibly the best damn college coach in any sport, of all time. Maybe it would fail mierably, but at this point, they have nothing to lose.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Solid take, bro.

Sin,
Butler, Xavier, Gonzaga, Villanova, Cincinatti, Wichita State, and the University of You're An Idiot
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

There are programs that have some success despite their conference, but of that group I believe Villanova is the only one with anything in the trophy case. The rest are a bunch of close but no cigars.

Does Ollie suck shit as a coach?

Maybe a national title out of nowhere was a fluke. And it was done with a Jim Calhoun recruited team.

The bottom line is that despite the Gonzagas of the world, the team that cuts down the nets at the end of the season is almost always from one of a few elite conferences.

Could UConn have maintained its position as an elite program post Big East?

I guess, but it became more difficult being part of a cobbled together conference that makes no geographical sense. It is the island of misfit toys conference. It is where you go when you don't get invited to your regional power.

Had UConn gotten into the ACC along with the other Big E orphans, BC and Syracuse, Ollie's job would have been easier.

Doesn't much matter now as every one if Ct is calling for his head on a pike.

Too bad it isn't the UConn prez on the way out the door. It was her job to shmooze the ACC and get an invite. Instead, about that time, she threatened to take another gig and they gave her a few hundred K raise.

Can someone 'splain to me how a State U prez is ever worth more than a few hundred a year? WTF do they do other than mundane administrative BS?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

There are a few programs that have some success despite their conference, but of that group I believe Villanova is the only one with anything in the trophy case. The rest are a bunch of close but no cigars.

Does Ollie suck shit as a coach?

Maybe a national title out of nowhere was a fluke. And it was done with a Jim Calhoun recruited team.

The bottom line is that despite the Gonzagas of the world, the team that cuts down the nets at the end of the season is almost always from one of a few elite conferences.

Could UConn have maintained its position as an elite program post Big East?

I guess, but it became more difficult being part of a cobbled together conference that makes no geographical sense. It is the island of misfit toys conference. It is where you go when you don't get invited to your regional power.

Had UConn gotten into the ACC along with the other Big E orphans, BC and Syracuse, Ollie's job would have been easier.

Doesn't much matter now as every one if Ct is calling for his head on a pike.

Too bad it isn't the UConn prez on the way out the door. It was her job to shmooze the ACC and get an invite. Instead, about that time, she threatened to take another gig and they gave her a few hundred K raise.

Can someone 'splain to me how a State U prez is ever worth more than a few hundred a year? WTF do they do other than mundane administrative BS?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Yeah, I guess a team needs to be in a Power5 conference to win.

How has that worked out?

- UNC. Yup, plays in the big boy basketball conference.

- Villanova. Plays in... wait for it... the Big East.

- Duke. ACC. Teams from that conference do indeed win a lot.

- UConn. Apparently, not being in a top conference didn't hurt. And as we Trailblazers fans say: Shabazz is The Man (local ad campaign).

- Louisville. "Old school" Big East.

- Kentucky. Makes my point -- the SEC is traditionally a horrifically bad hoops conference, which is a two team battle to see who wins it... Kentucky or Florida. Yet over the last couple of decades, the SEC is disproportionately represented in the Champions column.

The point is, that since the ACC poached a few teams from the BE, it hasn't seemed to hamper the Big East's ability to cut down nets.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

And if UConn was still part of the Big E, they might still benefit from some BE mojo.

But they ain’t.

They’re currently parked in the island of misfit toys, aka the American Athletic Conference. This conference is pretty much the Div 1 orphanage. It’s where you go when your local P5 conference doesn’t want you.

At this point, UConn should give up in the BTPCF charade and go home, to the B.B. only BE. The BE and Jim Calhoun made them into a B.B. powerhouse. It would benefit the BE as well, because currently, Villanova won’t be able to keep the lights on indefinitely all by themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

The only time U Conn was any good was due to Calhoun. Prepare to now suck eternally.

Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Goober McTuber wrote:The only time U Conn was any good was due to Calhoun. Prepare to now suck eternally.
^^^This.

Don’t blame the conference for UConn’s shortcomings, ‘holic. North Carolina struggled until they nabbed Williams. Duke struggled when Krzyzewski took a two year hiatus, Indiana wasn’t the same after Knight was forced to leave. Look at Houston. They’ve got a good coach in Kelvin Sampson turning this program around.

Your shitty conference has nothing to do with it.

Sent from Screwey's Lint Filter
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

AAC > WCC

Yeah, a shitty conference is just killing the Zags.

Hint: It's easier to get a ticket to The Dance in a shitty conference.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:AAC > WCC

Yeah, a shitty conference is just killing the Zags.

Hint: It's easier to get a ticket to The Dance in a shitty conference.
Tell that to the Big 10.

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

One PAC team down. Didn't even make it through the play in.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Bonaventure takes down UCLA
Cuse takes out Arizona State
The mighty University of Buffalo Bulls take down four seed Arizona

Western New York 3
PAC 12 0
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

BSmack wrote:Bonaventure takes down UCLA
Cuse takes out Arizona State
The mighty University of Buffalo Bulls take down four seed Arizona

Western New York 3
PAC 12 0
And the coup de grace, that powerhouse UMBC, BLOWS OUT #1 UVA!!!!

Finally a 16 gets it done.

And a free rack to anyone that knew what UMBC stood for. I did not.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

smackaholic wrote:And a free rack to anyone that knew what UMBC stood for. I did not.
I was hoping it stood for Unleashing My Black Cock. :|

-Stanley Q. Pikkkle
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

UVA just isn't built for the tourney, it would appear. I had them losing in the S16 for that reason. You can't be that one-dimensional. You have to be able to play multiple ways. Granted, that one dimension is really, really good, but when a team like UMBC totally throws you off your game plan, you have to be able to adjust, and Tony Bennett only knows one style of ball.

Losing their 6th man didn't help either, but I don't think it would've mattered since they pretty much got ass-blasted.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Go Coogs' wrote:Look at Houston. They’ve got a good coach in Kelvin Sampson turning this program around.
Live it up, UH will be on probation in a few years. That's what Sampson does to programs.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:UVA just isn't built for the tourney, it would appear. I had them losing in the S16 for that reason. You can't be that one-dimensional. You have to be able to play multiple ways. Granted, that one dimension is really, really good, but when a team like UMBC totally throws you off your game plan, you have to be able to adjust, and Tony Bennett only knows one style of ball.

Losing their 6th man didn't help either, but I don't think it would've mattered since they pretty much got ass-blasted.
Losing one of your 2-3 best players can sink many a college team, especially in today’s game where most anyone worth a fukk is one and done. But when a 1 loses a 6th man and gets run out of the fukking gym by a not really D1 16 seed, that is one fragile ass program. That coach really does need to come up with a plan B. A plan C and D might be a good idea as well.

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

From what I saw over the weekend, the NCAA brought in NBA refs to work the tournament. Unable to sort out charging vs blocking calls (they single-handedly took out one of Xavier's best player and probably cost them the game), unaware of what constitutes travelling, 3 seconds, etc. Just horrific to watch.

A few years back NCAA BBall was my favorite sport to watch. Now, it's just more of the NBA with a little less talent and $$.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Traveling, IMO hasn't been called since short shorts went out, maybe longer. All this "crossover" dribble bullshit, is what we used to call traveling or "carrying". You couldn't even get away with it on the playground, where fouls that didn't involve a trip to the ER weren't even called.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

How's my team doing? Sweet 16 baby. Yeah I know it's a total freaking fluke and probably won't continue after they run face-first into Duke.

Duke is a matchup I don't think they can win because Duke plays zones too. Syracuse is nothing that Duke hasn't seen before on their own practice floor. That said, Duke is still the center of all evil and I will be happy as fuck if Cuse somehow manages to get by them.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Danny Hurley takes UConn job.

Well, hopefully Hurley proves me wrong and turns around the Huskies.

He did a nice job at Rhoadie, but Rhoadie is not BTPCBB.

There is an interesting connection. His big bro, Bobby is easily in the top 5 most hated list among UConn fans. Chrissy Laetner, his team mate being number one.