Kentucky

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Kentucky

Post by Dinsdale »

If Kentucky was an NBA team, they'd have the largest starting frontcourt in the league.

And while Kentucky is indeed an excellent team, they also benefit from playing in an extremely weak league (sup Gonzaga).
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

While UK is obviously the best team in the country, coasting past the dregs of the SEC every week isn't doing much to test their mettle. They will still reach the Final Four, and who knows what happens after that.

And let's slow down a bit on the Skip Bayless type hyperbole when it comes to legacy. They still need to seal the deal, and while they are excellent defensively, they are still just average offensively.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Sudden Sam wrote:No one even close to their talent level.
WTF else do you expect from the NBA's feeder system? Best team money can buy.
I dare say, though, that the SEC is a helluva lot better than most folks think.
Most folks think it's a mediocre basketball conference, which is exactly what it is.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Most folks think it's a mediocre basketball conference, which is exactly what it is.
Uhm, no.

I'm pretty sure "most folks" think it's a horrifically weak conference, which is exactly what it is. They'd need about 5 more teams that don't trip over their own shoelaces to be "mediocre."
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sudden Sam wrote:Should an SEC bottom dweller beat the 2nd best team in the Big 12 in the Cyclones gym?
Uhm, checked the B12 standings lately?

A very bottom-heavy conference, in which ISU holds the 5th spot.

And you're citing one game... in hoops?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Dinsdale wrote:I'm pretty sure "most folks" think it's a horrifically weak conference, which is exactly what it is. They'd need about 5 more teams that don't trip over their own shoelaces to be "mediocre."
I was feeling generous.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Sudden Sam wrote:South Carolina, 5-11 in the SEC after their win today, beat Iowa State. In Ames.

Just sayin'...

Yeah, yeah, it was 10 games or so into the season, but so what? Should an SEC bottom dweller beat the 2nd best team in the Big 12 in the Cyclones gym?
They also lost to Charlotte and Akron. It's college basketball, they play 30 games plus conf tournaments. Almost everybody loses at least a couple games to teams they should beat. CBB is a funny sport. You can have a clear talent advantage but still lose if the other team has a crazy hot shooting night, or sometimes you just get out-hustled because it's hard to bring it every single game since the importance of the regular season is watered down.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

So, they're not ranked 2nd in the standings, nor second in the polls, nor in the RPI, but because some tard told you they were the second best team (didn't realize BSH extended to that train wreck you call a basketball conference), that was all you needed?

Thanks, actually. I'm starting to get a glimpse into how SECBSH can act such the fool, and this certainly lends some insight.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Jsc810 wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:(didn't realize BSH extended to that train wreck you call a basketball conference)
The SEC will have more teams in the Sweet 16 than any other conference.
Are you retarded?

Kentucky will likely be there (be pretty shocking if they weren't).

Who else?

Arkansas? They suck.

Georgia? Suck.

LSU. Beyond suck.

I'll let you in on a secret -- they don't have ties in CBB. That means one team has to win those shitty league games. Rack up OOC wins against nobodies (not the damning accusation that it is in football), then win a bunch of conference games in a crappy conference (might as well be the WAC), and that doesn't make you good.

It ain't the ACC, B1G, PAC, or any other decent hoops conference -- it's the SEC. It's not Kentucky's fault their conference sucks, and that has no bearing on whether they're an excellent team or not (they are), but... it's the SEC. And even some of the traditionally-better SEC teams suck this year (Florida, Mizzou).
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Jsc810 wrote:We won't have long to wait. :popcorn:
Exactly. March 19 and 20 will mark the departure of most SEC teams from the tournament.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Are you retarded too?

Newsflash -- UCLA has a good chance at making the Tourney, Bama has about none.

I can't see more than 2 SEC teams making it out of the first round (or whatever the fuck they call that round these days). Can't see Arkansas going very far.

It's basketball, dumbass. Would you like a list of upsets from either the NCAA or NBA that makes the very idea of you invoking the Transitive Theory so laughable, that you should probably throw your keyboard out the window?

I mean, the Transitive Theory is stupid enough in CFB (usually cited by SECBSH, oddly enough... and M2, which puts you in good company, eh?), but citing it in basketball?

Dude, I'm, embarrassed for you.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Sudden Sam wrote:I admit SEC b-ball ain't exactly the most stimulating thing to watch, but I think come NCAA tournament time, some folks in here are gonna be mighty surprised at what happens to their "superior" conference teams at the hands of the pitiful SEC boys.
What does that even mean, "mighty surprised?" Are you saying we'll see multiple SEC teams make deep runs in the tourney because a couple of their bottom feeders played a couple good games back in Dec/Jan? This logic makes sense in your head? You do realize this happens in basically every conference, right?

And I know Wichita State has a good program right now, but the fact one of your key selling points is, "one of our teams almost beat a Missouri Valley team", says enough about where the SEC is at, which is to say, the same place it's always been: bad to average.

Since you're a football guy, I'll help you out here. Cherry-picking games, especially ones played before the new year, is an absolutely worthless exercise in college basketball. There is an all-inclusive metric called "RPI" that is the most commonly used piece of data to provide a general overview of teams/conferences. Right now the SEC is rated 5th as a league... which is actually a spot or two better than where I thought they'd be. But in terms of "power" conferences, that puts them in a below average tier.

Granted, the tourney is still a huge crap shoot and nobody knows who's going to get hot. It's certainly possible we could see a few teams from the SEC, with the right match ups, make some noise in March. But if that happens, it certainly wouldn't be based on anything we've seen up to this point (Kentucky excluded).
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sudden Sam wrote:How many good teams are in the PAC12?
Subjective, but 3... which is 1 more than the SEC(maybe 2 more).

The Big 12?
One could make a case for 5, and not be too far out of line.

LSU, Georgia, Texas A&M, and Mississippi have pushed Kentucky hard. Check the scores.
Dear god, you're trading it up.

Yeah, and Oregon state beat Arizona, so that makes them totally awesome, right? (Even though they're NIT-bound.)
Believe it or not, there are a few good teams in the SEC.
No, there aren't.

Dude, the third best team in the SEC is #35.

They'll be competitive with anyone from any other conference.
It's basketball -- the teams that get hot going into the tourney generally do well. Only the 2 top teams from the SEC haven't faded down the stretch.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Sudden Sam wrote:LSU, Georgia, Texas A&M, and Mississippi have pushed Kentucky hard. Check the scores.
You mean Division I scholarship college basketball players are capable of being competitive? Wow, color me shocked. What a dominant league you've got there.

I've seen Kentucky play several times this year. It looks like they're sleep walking through a lot of these games, and of course their competition is playing their hearts out cuz it's big bad Kentucky. But in the last 5 or so minutes of the game, UK puts the clamps down and cruises to victory. You'll notice when they "get up" for bigger games, they pretty much destroy the competition. See the Kansas/UNC/UCLA/Arkansas games.

What makes a good conference is having multiple good PROGRAMS on a year in/year out basis. Wake me when somebody other than UK or Florida becomes relevant. Your run of the mill dickslap teams like LSU or Ole Miss playing a good game here and there proves nothing.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

I am sure matchups had nothing to do with it :doh:

stay in your lane sam... :grin: :grin:

btw...Kentucky will not cut down the nets...yes you can hold me to that

it's all about matchups in march...period (and to a point talent)...but Kentucky will not cut down the nets
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Sudden Sam wrote:Or maybe it's the great competition every week that's made it possible for Kentucky to make the final 2 of the last 3 years.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Great competition in practice you mean, going against future NBA first rounders every day. I'd agree with that.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

buckeye_in_sc wrote:btw...Kentucky will not cut down the nets...yes you can hold me to that

it's all about matchups in march...period (and to a point talent)...but Kentucky will not cut down the nets
If Kentucky is locked in every game in the tourney, I can't see why they wouldn't win it all. But if I got UK or the field, I'd probably take the field. I'd like to see a UK/Wisky rematch. Virginia could give the Cheataparis some trouble as well. Beyond those two teams, I don't see anyone else beating them unless a team full of chuckers shoots 70% from 3, however, Kentucky's length on the perimeter prevents teams from being able to do that to begin with.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Well is there anyone in the SEC that doesn't play for Kentucky that is as talented as say Kaminsky? No...so I'd like to see how Kentucky reacts to say being in a close game against a Wisc, Duke (Okafor could give them some trouble), VA, or even a Nova...teams with much better talent than say Bama, Miss State, Auburn, etc...and the rest of the SEC drekk

get in a close game with a top tier team and see what happens...

I'd love to see a Wisconsin/Kentucky game...as much as I hate fucking Bo Ryan and that band of flopping Buzz Cuts...I'd have to cheer for them right?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

How can anyone hate Bo Ryan?
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sudden Sam wrote:Then they got into the SEC schedule and had an OT game and a 2OT game.
You claim you've been watching CBB for a long time?

It sure doesn't show.

So, when the conference schedule starts, and they play opposing coaches who see them twice a season, they get in tighter games?

That's the premise you're using to declare the SEC to be anything but a bad league?

You should reallyreally quit while you have at least a shred of dignity left... seriously. It's been one dumbassitude after another for you here.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Sudden Sam wrote:Y'all are way too easy to fuck with.
Dude, this isn't CdS. If you post a sports take in a sports forum, people are going to respond accordingly. Stand behind your point and quit going to the "I was just trolling you" card whenever your shit takes get lambasted.

Anyway,
The SEC ain't nuthin' to brag about, but I don't see too many good teams this year in the PAC12 or B1G either.
In what is a down year for the B1G...it's looking like they will still send 7 teams to the dance. But might be only 6 if Indiana loses today.

I can't argue on behalf of the Pac 12. Dins, if you want to take a run at that one be my guest. :lol:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

BTW, if Joe Lunardi's "bracketology" holds up, Michigan State would draw LSU in the first round.

Yes, please. :)

http://espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Hmmm, Izzo in March vs that college basketball powerhouse from Baton Rouge?

Yeah, my money's on Izzo.

I wouldn't count on it anyway. Lutardi doesn't seem to be very good at predicting the actual match ups.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, ok.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

I thought SEC football fan was whack. SEC b-ball fan is totally unhinged.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Sudden Sam wrote:If you and/or DIns think you can just blow off the fact that Kentucky absolutely destroyed Kansas and UCLA while SEC teams have pushed them to OT...do so at your own risk.
I believe I already addressed that. Cherry-picking a couple almost-wins is not proof your league is any good. If anything it makes your argument sound more desperate. It's conference play. Nobody is going to win every game by 20+. Too many games to get up for. Again, look at RPI.
Michigan State vs LSU? I respect Izzo, but this Spartan team doesn't intimidate anybody. In that matchup, should it occur, I'd go with the Tigers.
This post would imply LSU does intimidate people? Based on what, their rich basketball tradition? Their deep runs in the tourney every year? Their projected double-digit seed? Help me out here.

MSU is not great this year but there is still an "Oh shit" factor when you draw Izzo in March. LSU could certainly beat them but they would not be favored to do so.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Congratulations, LSU.

You got beat at home AND in the SEC tourney.

By Auburn. :lol:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Well, MSU didn't draw LSU but rather Georgia. Since they played Kentucky tough I guess the Spartans are screwed, according to Sam Logic.

Not too thrilled about a second round rematch with Virginny.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

What is the deal with the Kentucky player with the god-awful neck tattoo?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Sudden Sam wrote:You, and every pundit has already penciled in MSU against Virginia. It was like a joke to the commentators...not even worthy of mentioning the game.
The talking heads always go straight chalk.

I don't consider Georgia a pushover. MSU is too inconsistent for me to be automatically penciling them in over anybody. UGA is actually pretty similar to MSU in what they do. They can defend and rebound. However, offensively they rely more on their bigs and MSU is more guard-oriented this year. If Trice and Valentine play well I expect State to win but won't be shocked if they lose.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: The talking heads always go straight chalk.
Same with Obummer.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

So, how's that SECSECSEC! thing that you morons claim to not engage in working out?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Papa Willie wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:So, how's that SECSECSEC! thing that you morons claim to not engage in working out?
Fuck YOU, MOTHERFUCKER! I'M PULLING FOR THE GOD DAMNED DUCKS THE REST OF THE WAY!
Let me know how that worked out for you. :mrgreen:

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Sudden Sam wrote:In case you've failed to notice, the SEC is the prohibitive favorite to win its 12th NCAA basketball title.
So what happened to all your dick swinging and bold predictions about the SEC fucking people up in the tournament? As expected, Kentucky is the only SEC team left standing after the round of 32.

How does it feel latching on to Calipari's slimy sack just to wave the SEC banner? Don't you feel gross?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

You really think Marshall is going to Alabama? :lol:
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

I don't believe Marshall will leave WSU for the time being (especially to go to Bama)...my gut is he'll either go ACC, Big 10, or Pac 12 when it's all said and done...

based on the current basketball landscape Alabama would be a lateral move if that...and more than likely a step down...

you got to admire the SEC though going after re-tread coaches that fell from grace (sup Bruce Pearl/Ben Howland)...I am sure some SEC program is dying to get on the line with Jamie Dixon when he flames out at Pitt...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I just can't see it. I doubt Marshall would leave WSU for anything other than a top 1 or 2 tier gig. He's already turned down better jobs than Bama, and I just don't think the extra dosh would be enough incentive. His base salary would be higher at Bama, but he's already making $1.8 mill at Wichita St plus bonuses for things like winning his conference and graduation rates, so the net difference probably isn't substantial enough to leave a great thing. When I hear Marshall speak it sounds like he has an ego larger than the average Bama fan's waistline, so I can't see him wanting to play second fiddle to a football blue blood. He could make the tourney every year and Bama fans would still consider basketball an afterthought. In Wichita however, he's treated like a god, has access to a private jet for recruiting, and all their home games sell out.

If I'm wrong you can serve me up a heaping helping of deep fried crow, but I don't think I am.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

I am with MGO...

I was getting the MBA at Winthrop (go ahead and laugh)...and one of his players sat next to me...this is when he coached at Winthrop...raved about him...I believe NCSU was hot after him then...he'll go Tobacco Road or something like that...

LOL at Bama thinking they are getting him...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sudden Sam wrote:

How many good teams are in the PAC12? Not many. The Big 12? Same.

LSU, Georgia, Texas A&M, and Mississippi have pushed Kentucky hard. Check the scores.
Just wanted to revisit this bit of SEC Stupidity.