US in the Semifinals

No headbutting

Moderator: Nishlord

Post Reply
User avatar
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler
Posts: 3145
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:43 pm
Location: 'Bama

US in the Semifinals

Post by Mr T » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:55 am

US somehow backs their way into the semi's.

Next up for US is the #1 team in the world.


:hfal:
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.

User avatar
socal
Prepare to qualify!
Posts: 2784
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:04 pm
Location: The LBC

Re: US in the Semifinals

Post by socal » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:24 pm

It was quite a turnaround. They're going to need to bring the same level of intensity against Spain just to keep it close.

Italy got clusterfucked by the Brazilians. It could have easily been 6-0.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.

User avatar
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler
Posts: 3145
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:43 pm
Location: 'Bama

Re: US in the Semifinals

Post by Mr T » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:35 pm

USA couldve beat Italy if it werent for a bullshit red card.

Italy starting lineup is too fucking old for world championship play.
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.

User avatar
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper
Posts: 6343
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:07 pm
Location: Destin, Florida

Re: US in the Semifinals

Post by SunCoastSooner » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:56 pm

Mr T wrote:USA couldve beat Italy if it werent for a bullshit red card.

Italy starting lineup is too fucking old for world championship play.

USA 1
Italy 1
United States ExPats 2

Fuck Giuseppe "Judas" Rossi

Image
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.

User avatar
Mac22
Elwood
Posts: 525
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:03 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: US in the Semifinals

Post by Mac22 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:36 pm

I'm not too concerned about losing Rossi. With the new relaxed rules, it's going to happen to everyone. Germany is losing a player to the US team and he's already played 3 games for Germany. Even up to last year, that would mean he could only play for Germany.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/colu ... 199.column
Of the 23 U.S. players named to play in the FIFA Confederations Cup, which begins today in South Africa, six fit that profile. Jozy Altidore's parents were born in Haiti and Oguchi Onweyu's in Nigeria. Jose Francisco Torres' father is from Mexico and Sacha Kljestan's from Serbia. Freddy Adu was born in Ghana and Benny Feilhaber in Brazil.

The next in that line, it appears, will be German-American Jermaine Jones, 27, a midfielder for Schalke 04. Jones was born in Frankfurt and is the son of an American soldier. He played three friendlies for Germany, but told that country's federation on Friday that he will play for the United States.
edit: and you could lump Preki into that group as well.
Last edited by Mac22 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital."

If teachers made twice as much as rock stars, which would you rather be?

There are two motivations in sports... which one is yours?

Image

User avatar
socal
Prepare to qualify!
Posts: 2784
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:04 pm
Location: The LBC

Re: US in the Semifinals

Post by socal » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:41 pm

That's the reality now. I think if you're a second-tiered Brazilian player you can pretty much name the country to grant you citizenship in time for WC.

BTW, way too harsh on Rossi. (And it isn't because he shares his birthday with yours truly.)

Props to the US in outplaying Spain.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.

User avatar
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.
Posts: 3600
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:11 am

Re: US in the Semifinals

Post by Dr_Phibes » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:35 pm

They put in an amazing shift there, the back four were brilliant. Lacked quality sometimes but played their hearts out. Great game.

User avatar
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper
Posts: 6343
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:07 pm
Location: Destin, Florida

Re: US in the Semifinals

Post by SunCoastSooner » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:15 am

Mac22 wrote:I'm not too concerned about losing Rossi. With the new relaxed rules, it's going to happen to everyone. Germany is losing a player to the US team and he's already played 3 games for Germany. Even up to last year, that would mean he could only play for Germany.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/colu ... 199.column
Of the 23 U.S. players named to play in the FIFA Confederations Cup, which begins today in South Africa, six fit that profile. Jozy Altidore's parents were born in Haiti and Oguchi Onweyu's in Nigeria. Jose Francisco Torres' father is from Mexico and Sacha Kljestan's from Serbia. Freddy Adu was born in Ghana and Benny Feilhaber in Brazil.

The next in that line, it appears, will be German-American Jermaine Jones, 27, a midfielder for Schalke 04. Jones was born in Frankfurt and is the son of an American soldier. He played three friendlies for Germany, but told that country's federation on Friday that he will play for the United States.
edit: and you could lump Preki into that group as well.
socal wrote:That's the reality now. I think if you're a second-tiered Brazilian player you can pretty much name the country to grant you citizenship in time for WC.

BTW, way too harsh on Rossi. (And it isn't because he shares his birthday with yours truly.)

Props to the US in outplaying Spain.


A lot of our players weren't born in America... virtually none of them except Stuart Holden (who rarely sees the pitch or gets called up for that matter) played two nations against one another, grew up in the country they were born in, or their native lands even have a shot at ever making a world cup. None of them certainly give interview after interview claiming that they are truly a "such and such" native and intend to live out their days and retire there but play for another country... Adu does not speak about Ghana as his homeland but play for the United States, Altidore does not speak of his burning desire to retire to Port Au Prince in the end of his days as a Haitian citizen. Judas Rossi does these things about America while slapping our national team in the face with his services for Italy.

If you wanted to call out players Preki isn't a good choice... Regis would have been a much better one. At least Preki had a genuine connection to this country other than his wife that lived the majority of her life over seas (reference to Regis). Preki during the 2002 WC and qualifying. He is an American Citizen now, lives in America, and intends on retiring in the Kansas City area after his coaching career is over. Judas Rossi should do the same in Italy.

Possebon is really Italian as well I mean hell his great great great grand daddy was from Italy after all...

Italy, Scotland, and the Czech Republic are infamous for this shit and are simply headhunters. Screw them and their assassins. It's why I won't root for Scotland despite my ancestry and having lived there. Scotland is giving Stuart Holden the full court press right now to switch allegiances from the U.S. since he hasn't played in a senior team FIFA match yet but that may change since there is word he might get called up for the Gold Cup and then it is decision time for him as well.

Jones is another player that never has earned a capp in a FIFA sanctioned game on the senior team. He knows the German manager is not going to select him
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest