euro 2008

No headbutting

Moderator: Nishlord

SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Re: euro 2008

Post by SunCoastSooner »

One of the most exciting games I have seen in a good while for sure nish.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

I have tried hard to get into this and again have been turned off by the flopping. Where the hell are the cards for all of the horrible flops? Yes, some good games, but even those have horrible flops.

Perfect example is the German keeper in the second half against Portugal. Shortly before the second Portugal goal there was a gental collision between a Portagee striker and the German keeper. The replay shows the collision is about as hard as a hand shake and yet the keeper falls down. He quickly jumps up looking for the ball and as soon as the sees it crossing the end line, he is back down and looks like he has been shot. 10 minutes later after the training staff has rubbed ice and poured water on him he is fine and diving around with no ill effects. Horrible! Turns us casual fans away.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Left Seater wrote:I have tried hard to get into this and again have been turned off by the flopping. Where the hell are the cards for all of the horrible flops? Yes, some good games, but even those have horrible flops.

Perfect example is the German keeper in the second half against Portugal. Shortly before the second Portugal goal there was a gental collision between a Portagee striker and the German keeper. The replay shows the collision is about as hard as a hand shake and yet the keeper falls down. He quickly jumps up looking for the ball and as soon as the sees it crossing the end line, he is back down and looks like he has been shot. 10 minutes later after the training staff has rubbed ice and poured water on him he is fine and diving around with no ill effects. Horrible! Turns us casual fans away.
shit on someone else thread jerkoff
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Horrible game plan by Dutch, and too much me/me play by their players.

too many wasted kicks from 30-40 yards, they have ZERO chance of going in!

They won by playing the ball in from the wings, instead, they try to run with it and kick it from 40 yards out.

horrible play. this is typical dutch in Big competition. they didn't even get a chance to choke in pk's :meds: :meds: :meds:

Guus Hiddink is best international coach in game. Scolari is extremely overrated. He takes over teams with tons of talent, Guus takes over also rans, never haves, and gets them to knockout stages.

props to russia and to the Dutchman Hiddink.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Guess I shouldn't expect anything else from you. Typical.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Left Seater wrote:
Guess I shouldn't expect anything else from you. Typical.
and a typical shit post from you. Who would of thunk it.

PS hey jerkoff, there is a thread about soccer in this forum, you want to shit in there, so be it, don't tard this thread up.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

Once the Oranje became the tounament's betting favoites, we should've known the end was near :meds:

The were getting SO MUCH good press. I guess they forgot to heed the warnings of this man:

"Let's not start sucking each other's dicks just yet, gentlemen."

It's cliche' but true: Russia just "wanted it more." The Dutch seemed content for penalties there in the second OT.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Guus Hiddink is one of best International coaches going.

his record speaks for itself, especially with what he did for Australia,N.Korea, and now Russia.

Major props to Russia, they had their heart broken with Ruuds goal, but then decided they wanted it more in Extra time.

:evil: :doh: :doh:
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Right :meds:

I bring a take and instead of a response you wet yourself.

Thanks for explaining how that wasn't a flop or what I am missing that might help further my understanding of the game. Instead your typical dribble of curse words and name calling is all we get. Sad really.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Well it's not a John Wayne movie and nobodys dying with their boots on - you take a chance to gain an advantage. Watch Brazilian league, the more flamboyant and dramatic the dive, the more respect you gain - it's a bit of a 'fuck you', let's see what you can get away with - how sneaky can I be?
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

By the way, is there anyone alive not named Sean Hannity would won't admit that the Russians' have the World's Greatest national anthem, musically speaking? Perfect tune for a prelude to a big international sporting event.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

I'd just like to know who those guys in orange were on the field today and what they did with the Holland national team.

Russia completely outplayed them, especially in the midfield. How a team can go from complete world beaters to conservative, lackluster bullshit is beyond me. That's the worst game I think I've ever seen Holland play, in watching these major tournaments since '88.

Rack the Russians. They deserved the win, hands down.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Yeah. the Russians totally deserved it. Arshavin - where the fuck did he come from? There is so much money washing around in Russian football that they can afford to keep their best players in the country. They must be amongst the favourites for the World Cup.

Notice that the teams that needed to battle to qualify in the last game of the group stage have all beaten the teams who could afford to rest 9 or so players. Which means that Italy are completely nailed on for tonight.

(I always support Holland because they always end up playing like England)
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Genius article about Spain - Italy;
Jittery Spaniards prepare for their bete noire

After 88 years without a competitive win over Italy, Spain are already panicking about Sunday's quarter-final
Sid Lowe
June 18, 2008 1:09 PM

The newsreader put on his most earnest face, smoothed down his moustache, looked into the camera and read from the autocue. Never mind that this was TVE, supposedly the sober voice of serious, straight news. "Spain", he said, "will play Italy. The same old Italy; the Italy that never plays football but always wins." As the tape rolled, a voice testily told how the Italians, "champions of the world and champions of luck", had beaten France thanks to the fact that "destiny favoured them yet again". The Azzurri, agreed Marca, are the team with "seven lives".

No side provokes such distaste in Spain as Italy, whose football is derided as cynical, dirty and boring, somehow illegitimate. As José Ángel de la Casa, for decades the voice of the Spanish national team - a kind of tranquil John Motson without the obsession over his dinner, the sheepskin coats or those heh-heh moments - admitted with a hint of discomfort: "As a nation, we have always shown contempt towards Italian football." Not just because of the chance but also because of the "cheating". Now and over the next few days, that will become more evident than ever.

The Italians, declares this morning's Marca, "are experts in 'the other football', the maestros of time-wasting, of destroying games and subterranean play". The paper's cover runs with the photo of Luis Enrique, blood covering his shirt, after Tassotti smashed his nose all over his face in the penalty area at the end of the 1994 World Cup quarter-final, an elbow that "still hurts Spain". "If there is an image that sums up Italy v Spain meetings it's the bloody face of a crying Luis Enrique after getting an elbow that referee Sándor Puhl didn't see - or didn't want to see," Marca snipes.

"Italian cheating once again went unpunished, but at least they got what they deserved by losing in the final with two historic penalty misses from their great stars: [Roberto] Baggio and [Franco] Baresi", Marca continues, picking on two innocent men, while the front page headline warns: "Italy, we have not forgotten this."

They can say that again: as Roberto Palomar puts it, everywhere he looks he sees Luis Enrique and from now until Sunday's match there will be no escape as the telly goes into smashed-nose overload. "I go to fill the car with petrol and there's Luis Enrique vomiting blood behind the pump; I go to take a piss and there's Luis Enrique in the cubicle, doubled over, cleaning the blood off his disfigured face; I climb into bed and there's someone there next to my wife - it's Mauro Tassotti".

The same Mauro Tassotti who won that day - and that's kind of the point. Italy, as Palomar argued, is a ghost that haunts Spain. Despite the bravado, despite the implicit threat on Marca's cover, Italy don't just inspire loathing, they inspire fear too. Lots of it. There is a hint of getting your excuses in early about the Spanish media today. And there is little hiding the disappointment when they look at Romania - the speedboat Jim Bowen says they could have won - and then back at the Italians they've actually got. One headline this morning simply screamed "No!". "Italy, always Italy", sighed El País. And on the radio they were asking an uncomfortable question: "Are you shitting yourself?"

The answer was yes. Last night's result was the last thing the Spanish wanted: Luis Aragonés said it, the press said it and the online polls said it. José Vicente Hernáez signed off from yesterday evening's preview on Marca TV with a: "Do us a favour Holland, lose! Come on Romania!" Never mind the ethics, he spoke for everyone. Romania would have been perfect; a creaking France, just about acceptable; Italy, a disaster. "They're not the opponents we wanted, that's for sure," mumbled Aragonés. AS likens Italy to the beetle-tick that stalks the Austrian mountains, ready to deliver a fatal blow with a single bite. As Álvaro Arbeloa put it: "Italy are always the same: they scrape through and then win the tournament." Which would of course mean beating Spain.

On the face of it, Spain shouldn't be worried. In fact, they should be relishing the opportunity to bury those ghosts against a team that - as the commentators reminded us 37 times in the final 10 minutes last night - will be without Andrea Pirlo and Gennaro Gattuso. After all, after two games for every team, Spain had completed more passes than any other country, and a higher percentage too. They are No1 in attacks, No1 in shots and No16 (in other words the best) in shots faced.

Better still, for all the talk of short, precise, slow build-up and despite its visceral defence from the talibans of tiki-taka (pass and move), Spain have scored six goals this tournament - five from breaks or, let's face it, aimless hoofs; one from a set-play. This time, there's real pace, a cutting edge, a will and a way to do it differently. And a bit of luck too. Spain have some semblance of togetherness at last, a team Cesc Fabregas can't even get into, after Aragonés sensibly recognised that his five-man midfield didn't work, and consequently they have David Villa - the new kid on the block, the revelation of world football who's only been the best striker in Spain for four years.

And yet, apart from Cuatro TV - whose "come on!, yes!, yes!, yes!, you can do it!, go on!, yes!, that's it!, that's it!, good!, that's the way!, oh yes!" commentary sounds more like the soundtrack from a saucy film than five blokes narrating a football match - the Spanish have been strikingly calm about the tournament so far. Sure, they've been delighted with what they have seen. But so often bitten for once shy, there's been little of the tub-thumping from the last World Cup, when they promised to retire Zinedine Zidane three games before Marco Materazzi actually did and announced themselves the best side in the tournament after a single game.

Not least because there's a recognition of their failings. Attack may be the best form of defence but there are fears about the back four, about the weakness of Carles Puyol and Carlos Marchena and the huge dip in form of Sergio Ramos. There's concern too about the anaemic performances of Andrés Iniesta and an unusual recognition that, even as Spain prepare to play tonight's match with the rare luxury of fielding a team of subs, they've not actually won anything - the message conveyed by players and press alike. The real stuff starts here; the very point at which Spain normally end.

If Romania awaited, they might now have begun to believe. But it's Italy. And as the editor of AS put it: "Italy don't scare me, they terrify me." Italy. Spain's bete noire (even if their last competitive game was that one 14 years ago). Italy. The side seemingly best equipped to undo Spain's technical yet lightweight midfield. Italy. In the quarter-final. On June 22. The team they have not beaten in a competitive match for 88 years. At the traditionally insurmountable hurdle, the stage they have not passed in 24 years. On the same date that they have been knocked out for each of the last three tournaments.

Happily, there is one, big difference this time. Not the absence of Tassotti - after all, the man with the razor-sharp elbows will be on the bench on Sunday - but the absence of the other sadly decisive man from that day in the US. This time, Spain have David Villa and Fernando Torres, not Julio Salinas.
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Awful game. Passing backwards, passing sideways.... I've seen more movement from a constipated man sitting on the toilet than this bunch. Russia were a joy to watch last night, full of running, pace and movement. All comfortable with the ball.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

The germans here say fuck Italy.. I would prefer to watch the grass grow.. but the penalty kicks were fun lol
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Why do you bring on Del piero, and then not use him as one of your first 3 PK takers???? horrible move.

noone gives a shit about the 5th kick, you make sure your first 3 are your best Pk takers. Most pk's are lost in the first 3 kicks.

I'm not rooting for Italy, but that seemed like a dumb move!
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

That was horrible, but it got rid of Italy. Russia-Spain should be a bit tasty.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

I was going to watch some soccer yesterday, but fortunately my neighbor just finished painting his shed.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

I was geeked about the Spain-Italy matchup, but what a fucking yawner.

But this is what Italy does, when they are overmatched, they just flood the backfield.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”