England Miss Out on Euro 2008

No headbutting

Moderator: Nishlord

Canadian
canadianlattitude.ca

England Miss Out on Euro 2008

Post by Canadian »

Not good enough. Put mildly, that was the damning verdict of the English football national team, jam-packed with superstars who failed to deliver when so much was at stake -- the nation’s pride, and a place in the 2008 UEFA European Championship Finals.

Playing at the Wembley Stadium in London, England only needed a draw in their final game against the already-qualified Croats to book their spot for Euro 2008, and even this was a gift handed to them on a silver platter, considering how their 2-1 loss to Russia earlier in the month had put their destiny out of their own hands, or feet, for that matter. As it turned out, England was given a reprieve when Russia were stunned by Israel last weekend, thus placing the ball back in England’s court to grab at least the second spot in Group E. Alas, while they rejoiced at the help rendered to them by Israel a few days back, they forgot to help themselves on the pitch, putting on a limp show, as though hung over from celebrating Russia’s loss.
That sucks. I heard on the news this will cost the British economy 1.5 billion.......

I though England had a relativly easy schedule too.

I guess many will be drowning their sorrows in the Pubs tonight? I am but at home. ha ha

Read more here
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

They definatly had an easy group. A loss and a draw against the groups 2nd worst team (Macedonia) hurt their cause early. Midway through the group they looked like they might have turned it around but Croatia has been playing good soccer here lately and had their number. That entire area of Europe is playing much better soccer as a whole now days. The Czech Republic may be playing the best international soccer in the world right now. Turkey and Greece are definatly much more competitive as well. Israel being in the euro sections is difficult as well as they are a hard team to steal a win from and play for A LOT of draws.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

Nish, who do you want replacing McLaren?

I thought Martin O'Neill would be a good choice, but he removed himself from consideration. I hear Louis Van Gaal is interested. Dude was a disaster coaching the Dutch in '02 WC qualifying.