I'm now a soccer ref

No headbutting

Moderator: Nishlord

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

I'm now a soccer ref

Post by indyfrisco »

Never reffed before, but I've played soccer 25 of my 30 years on this earth.

Looking forward to reffing and the exercise. 7th and 8th graders is a good place to start reffing. Competitive but slow enough that I can get the hang of it without too many fuckups.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Cool. I was kind of a substitute ref as an adolescent. Funny thing was, I generally reffed adult games...ponderous.

My advice, when reffing kids that age, is to be pretty strict about tackling from behind, and charging between kids with big differences in height. Not a bad idea to be kind of a jerk early when it comes to the charging and tackling, to set the tone early. This won't come without repercussion from soccermom, but to heck with her. They're kids, and no one needs to get hurt, and tackling from behind and headbutts during charges are easy ways for that to happen. Actually, it kind of violates "purist" thinking, but the youth game could probably live without charging altogether. Seems like back then, that's where the problems were.

Good luck, BrotherIndy.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

My neighbor is the middle school athletic director. He's seen me kicking the soccer ball with the neighborhood kids before. He's the one who asked me to ref as a favor since he procrastinated finding refs and he is in a pinch.

Did I mention I am getting paid $50/game to ref? I can't believe that. The game, including halftime, lasts about 1 hour and 15 minutes and I do 2 games a night, twice a week over 5 weeks time. Not a bad little thousand bucks (untaxed) I'll earn in 5 weeks. i can finally justify paying the $1300 for the Callaway Fusion Irons I've been dying to buy but refused to pay that much. Now, they're basically free considering I'm doing this as a favor and for the exercise.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote: Did I mention I am getting paid $50/game to ref? I can't believe that.
Damn. When I was like 13 or whatever, the only compensation I got was my Dad's buddies sneaking me beers.
i can finally justify paying the $1300 for the Callaway Fusion Irons I've been dying to buy but refused to pay that much.
Yeahhh, buddy. Never hit a Fusion, but I understand they're pretty sweet. Just saw a very nice set of X-14s for like $150...thought about it for a while, but not in the cards right now. Also passed on a brand new set of Silver Scots for $125. Armour makes some darn nice clubs for the dough.

Damn, I wish they had a golf forum up in here.

Now, they're basically free considering I'm doing this as a favor and for the exercise.[/quote]
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

You get paid? Rack. I've refereed perhaps a hundred AYSO games since 1997 for the grand sum of squat.

Have fun, Indy.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
Mac22
Elwood

Post by Mac22 »

socal wrote:You get paid? Rack. I've refereed perhaps a hundred AYSO games since 1997 for the grand sum of squat.
that's because AYSO is horrible, and is exactly what is wrong with american soccer... once we lose the AYSO mentality we'll be better off. don't get me wrong, it's cool for the little kids and for someone who may just want to play... but to build the mentality that we need to win at a higher level, AYSO is holding us back...

btw, i played AYSO because it was the only thing available to me... and i now believe i could have done so much more

anyway, back on topic... i have 3 different licenses now for officiating soccer (USSF, NFHS, NCAA) and it is my summer job. and by summer job, i mean that i can pull 1,500 down in the high school season alone (2 months). been doing it since i was 16, and is a great way to may some cash, progress in the game, and get exercise all at once. all total, i probably make 4,000 a year just from reffing games at different levels.
"Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital."

If teachers made twice as much as rock stars, which would you rather be?

There are two motivations in sports... which one is yours?

socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Mac,

It's what's wrong with American soccer? I wouldn't draw conclusions that the U.S. National team's disappointing anemic goal scoring and miscues in Germany are directly tied to AYSO. But I understand what you're saying to a degree that some policies might be detrimental to the game as a whole. "Quarter breaks" and no offside calls until they're 8 years old just to name two. But there are plenty of good things with AYSO. Giving everyone a minimum amount of play is a good thing especially at young ages. To get better you need to play. AYSO has its place as a developmental/introduction to soccer. The organization is changing slowly in response to creating a higher level of play and competition with its Plus program, essentially an all-star team that competes year round insulated from their less talented peers.

Besides there are plenty of AYSO alternatives at the club level which are more competitive. At least in southern Cali there are.
R-Jack wrote:
Yes, that just happened.
Mac22
Elwood

Post by Mac22 »

i'm not directly relating it to the failures of the national team... but just the idea as a whole. for me growing up, it wasn't like that for basketball or baseball or any other sport i played growing up... we had little league all star teams that traveled, and i come from a town of 700... you hit it with the quarter breaks, etc... and actually packwin_13 can attest to this as well... but in our entire region, slide tackling was not allowed, even FOR U19'S.

that is one of the things that actually bothers me about the NFHS rules as well... 40 minute halves? i understand the concept of increasing playing time... but why are you changing the rules of the game? a u16 club team can play 45s, but a varsity team of 17 and 18 y/o's can only go 40? no comprende.

the one nice thing about moving down here, is i can actually have coaching contact in the off season with my girls. in wisconsin, the rules are extremely restrictive
"Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital."

If teachers made twice as much as rock stars, which would you rather be?

There are two motivations in sports... which one is yours?

socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

I didn't play growing up but for one year when I was all of 11. Hell, AYSO was founded the year I was born.

<----:geezer:

I didn't know jack shit about soccer until my kids started. Guess who was the coach?

And the ref.

Yup. That's what make AYSO the way it is. It's too big for it's own good.
R-Jack wrote:
Yes, that just happened.