FINAL - ITA-FRA

No headbutting

Moderator: Nishlord

RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

FINAL - ITA-FRA

Post by RadioFan »

As Nish mentioned in the other thread, the two teams faced each other in the Euro 2000 Final. At the time, the "golden goal" was in effect, meaning sudden death OT.

Italy was up 1-0 and was trying to just hang on, with France on the attack for much of the second half. They finally got the equalizer late in regulation, then scored again with only seconds left in OT.

It was a classic example of a team (Italy, in this case), playing simply not to lose, instead of attacking, and they paid for it, dearly. Not to take away anything from Italy's marvelous goals on Tuesday, but in 2000, they did sort of like what Germany did late in OT in Tuesday's game.

France is, without a doubt, the story of this tournament. Few, if any, thought they could reach the quarterfinals, much less beat Brazil. And even the most myopic "Les Bleus" French fan would no way in HELL have predicted this team -- with a handful of crusty veterans mixed with young players -- in the Final.

Forget about the country and just look at the players on the field. And how this team started gaining momentum after the first round.

Right now the French look to be a team of destiny. Unless there's an injury to a key player, it's difficult to see them losing the Final.

I'll call a repeat of the Euro 2000 Final: France 2, Italy 1, in OT.

If France can pull this off, Zidane will go down as one of the greatest players in history ... approaching Pele's status, imo.
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

Italy's defense has been staunch and Canavarro has been the player of the tournament. They haven't given up a goal to an opposing player yet and ther is no reason to expect they will in this game.

Italy 2 France 0
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

See You Next Wednesday wrote:Italy's defense has been staunch.

Italy 2 France 0
Yeah, I guess an entire game, no, tournament of playing keep away could be called staunch. I hate the way those greg looseanus divers play, but, seeing as they are playing the frogs, and I am half dago all I can say is I hope the azzurri put a serious beatdown on them frenchie faggits.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

See You Next Wednesday wrote:They haven't given up a goal to an opposing player yet and ther is no reason to expect they will in this game.
Yes, it's precisly because they haven't given up a goal to an opposing player that they're due. Besides, had there been another ref on the field, the U.S. would have officially scored on them. :wink:
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Re: FINAL - ITA-FRA

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

RadioFan wrote: Right now the French look to be a team of destiny. Unless there's an injury to a key player, it's difficult to see them losing the Final.

I'll call a repeat of the Euro 2000 Final: France 2, Italy 1, in OT.

If France can pull this off, Zidane will go down as one of the greatest players in history ... approaching Pele's status, imo.
I agree with you on Zidane. Win this and he goes from the second tier of greatest players of all time; Cruyff-Benkenbauer status, to the top tier with Pele and Maradona.

I think Italy is the team of destiny though. An opposing team has not scored on them, and their offense hasn't been this good since the Baggio days. Apart from the USA and Australia games, they have played brilliantly. The 2000 team knew they were out-manned against both Holland (shameful effort by Italy, shameful penalty taking by the Dutch) and France. This team is playing with more confidence and is more comfortable going forward. France conceded many chances to Portgugal today and I expect Italy to capitalise on a few.

2-0 Azzuri.
RadioFan

Re: FINAL - ITA-FRA

Post by RadioFan »

Q, West Coast Style wrote:I agree with you on Zidane. Win this and he goes from the second tier of greatest players of all time; Cruyff-Benkenbauer status, to the top tier with Pele and Maradona.

I think Italy is the team of destiny though. An opposing team has not scored on them, and their offense hasn't been this good since the Baggio days. Apart from the USA and Australia games, they have played brilliantly. The 2000 team knew they were out-manned against both Holland (shameful effort by Italy, shameful penalty taking by the Dutch) and France. This team is playing with more confidence and is more comfortable going forward. France conceded many chances to Portgugal today and I expect Italy to capitalise on a few.

2-0 Azzuri.
Interesting. I don't agree with parts of it, but RACK that take.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

I hate both teams, but the disgusting flopping fish of Italy must go down....I'm sure they'll twist and moan on the ground like they do every match. Pathetic. Their game of soccer is just terrible. Faced with two evils France or Italy, I'll take......
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

The Gators aren't in it, T Rex.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:The Gators aren't in it, T Rex.
Hey, if Duke could send their best basketball players and FSU could send their best football players, it would be one GREAT game.

-- Cicero
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

No....I'm going for the hairy stinky french over the greasy fish floppers.
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

RadioFan wrote:
Hey, if Duke could send their best basketball players and FSU could send their best football players, it would be one GREAT game.

-- Cicero
RAC...errr...wait a minute.. :evil:

Zidane is unreal. Too bad he's a Frenchie...

Italy 0-0(4-3) in a huge game of keep away from the tall, bald frog with precision feet. Man, I hate France but that guy is hard to cheer against...
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I'll leave the analytical predictions to you guys.

I've got some Italian lineage, so I'm pulling for them: Italy 1 France 0
Zyclone
HTTR

Post by Zyclone »

Since im 100% Italia im going with them. There D is sick and they know how to score when need be. If you look back at this tourney so far they have one goal against them and it was from within.

That being said I hate the frogs but Henry is my all time favorite phootball player.

Imma be wearing my Totti jersey all week!

Italy 3 Frogs 1!

Rack Zi he is a warriot but Azzurri will prevail!
Sharif dont like it! ROCK the Casbah, ROCK the Casbah!
My Home Page
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Zyclone, why the fuck do you have a link to your myspace website on here? Do you think all the 40somethings here are really interested in checking out your "stats" and viewing pics of your "bros"?

I thought the only purpose of that site was to lure 12 year olds to super 8 motels.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Fucking amazing matchup, for who isn't there as much as who is.

France, although stuttering through the group, have taken out Spain, Brazil and Portugal - all in 90 minutes, and arguably the hardest knockout sequence since Italy did for Brazil, Argentina and West Germany (the last three winners, for fuck's sake) in '82. I totally agree that Zidane is on the verge of joining Pele and Maradona.

Italy, who are undergoing absolute crisis in their domestic league, have been Quiet Storm, and are peaking right about now.

I want France to win, for the storyline. I think Italy will win it, because they're just too good. I don't care who actually does, as long as it's a classic.
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

And let's not forget that most of the Italian team might be playing for their jobs on Sunday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 150352.stm
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

This is the matchup that will be great to see. The Euro 200 game was a classic. I cannot think of 2 teams that I hate more. That being said, I have to go with the French.

1-0
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I'd like to see the obligatory 90 minutes plus OT of nil-nil keep away followed by the dreaded PKs during which an enormous lightning bolt strikes the pitch, killing everyone.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Though I have some Italian lineage, Italy has met its match. Zidane is playing out of his head.

France 1 Italy 0
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Italy completes the tournament shutout...1-0 over France. Totti will get the goal.

Portugal over Germany 2-1 in the third place game...the Krauts won't recover from Tuesday's loss.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Won't France just surrender?

Just sayin'.

But if Harv says the French, then who am I to argue with him when he has been so right on in predicting these things.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Left Seater wrote:Won't France just surrender?
Nahhh, they'll just try to get the guineas to switch sides half way through the match.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

YESSSSSSSS!

The best thing that could happen.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Certainly is!

Thanks for the link, much better than the technicalese fifa's official site uses.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

EQUALISER!

This is a corking game, thank God.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

a powerful game, this sahkah. Even has the board heathen, nish, finding religion.

Christ, if England were in the final, he'd be speaking in tongues.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Heh.

We need another France goal before half-time.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Nothing like watching the Spanish feed...they are showing the crowd doing the wave...that was fresh in.....oh 1984
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Wow. Fan Smack.

Actually, I'm inclined to agree with you. That's what happens when you have a massive ticket allocation for corporate cunts.
Deckard
Crack Whore

Post by Deckard »

Italy is dominant on set pieces ( as long as Totti is not taking them),I can't see them giving up another goal and as France seems to tire as the game goes on their one hope is to take it to penalties. Sub out totti for de piero and Italy wins it in 90. I wish there was a way they both could lose though.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Yeah, agreed. Zizou and Henry are gonna have to carry France from here on in.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Where is the penalty on that?!?
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Henry is finally playing like he does for Arsenal. This game is hotting up nicely.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Nishlord wrote:Wow. Fan Smack.

Actually, I'm inclined to agree with you. That's what happens when you have a massive ticket allocation for corporate cunts.
Here in the colonies, we have skyboxes to keep the CCs seperate from the actual paying fans. You ought to look into it.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Totally agree. We have 'executive boxes', but not enough of 'em.
Deckard
Crack Whore

Post by Deckard »

Zidane is still playing???
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Taking lessons from the WWF Zidane?

Geez, how brutal.
Deckard
Crack Whore

Post by Deckard »

...or not, that was ridiculous. Props to the italian video crew for that and getting Frings kicked out for the Germans.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

They showed the play on the jumbotron before the officials ruled on it? DUMB