Why not a UK team at the world cup.

No headbutting

Moderator: Nishlord

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Why not a UK team at the world cup.

Post by smackaholic »

Well, another chance for england goes up in flames. Every other country on earth fields a single team. The brits break it up into 4 thanks to some silly boundaries that really haven't meant much politically speaking, for centuries.

Not that N. Ireland or Wales would have a hell of alot to offer. Scotland, on the other hand does make the tournament from time to time. There was one tourney where all four teams qualified. Seems to me that could have been a pretty damn good UK team.

I suspect that it doesn't happen because the english and scotch have too much fun rooting against one another. I mean, watching england loose has got to be damn near as fun to a scot as seeing their own team win and it's one hell of a lot more likely as well.

Nish, I'll be waiting on your take as soon as you are released from lockup for whatever hoolie activities you may be partaking in currently.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Why not a UK team at the world cup.

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote:scotch....Nish, I'll be waiting on your take

I would never be so bold as to speak for Nish, but I'll save him some trouble...

"Scotch" is a variety of booze. And a name brand of adhesive tape. For a citizen of Scotland to become "Scotch," it requires falling into a whiskey barrel.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I think the term scotch implies something from scotland, be it a footie player, hooligan, single malt whiskey or a chick that I very nearly shagged in benidorm spain in 1986.

So, when refering to the residents that inhabit the coldest and wettest part of that cold wet rock that is britain, I do believe scotch is an acceptable term.

and who the fukk are you kidding. You're bold enough to speak for god and Gawd his damn self.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

3 major factors

1.no goaltneding for decades. robinson and company are average. id be willing to say that team usa has 3-4 better goalies than england can offer up. future kirkland?? get the fuck out of here, robinson? james still has a shirt on their team??? james is shit.

2.sven factor, he doesnt give a fuck and he's a horrible tactician.

3.no true leader, and forwards are and have been overrated, shearer is still one of best english strikers. owen, rooney, couch, good, but highly overrated forwards. couch couldnt create a goal if it created him, hes a stiff who waits for garbage goals, he cant create.

i would of pushed gerrard up front, it seemed instead of going through the guy who was playing lights out(gerrard) before the cup, they went through beckham.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote: So, when refering to the residents that inhabit the coldest and wettest part of that cold wet rock that is britain, I do believe scotch is an acceptable term.
Then you believe dead fucking wrong.

Whiskey from Scotland is "scotch."

Objects from Scotland are "Scottish" (although this term can be applied to people too, it isn't preferred).

"Scots" are the People of Scotland.

But by all means, wait for Nish to set you straight.

BTW-Nish makes me laugh a great deal more than God does...BODE Nish.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

scotch (skoch) - n. the plural for the people of scotland.

http://www.answers.com/topic/scotch-1

there ya go mr smartypants.
Last edited by smackaholic on Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

smackaholic wrote:Well, another chance for england goes up in flames. Every other country on earth fields a single team. The brits break it up into 4 thanks to some silly boundaries that really haven't meant much politically speaking, for centuries.
Four countries......four teams. Seems about right to me.
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

T REX wrote:
smackaholic wrote:Well, another chance for england goes up in flames. Every other country on earth fields a single team. The brits break it up into 4 thanks to some silly boundaries that really haven't meant much politically speaking, for centuries.
Four countries......four teams. Seems about right to me.
The UK is a country in that it has a national government. There is no english olympic team. England is a province or state of the nation known as the United Kingdom. If an englishman wants to join the navy, he joins the british navy, not the english. Just because england and scotland were actually seperate politically, a millenium ago, doesn't mean they are today.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Have it your way.

I'll let the full-on Brit correct you, rather than you taking the word of this dual-national.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

And the correct answer is:

Scotch was once used as a contraction for Scottish, and meaning "of Scottish", however, it is used rarely - if at all - in modern english.

...or so that's what my internet perusings told me...
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I'll accept that it may not be the current favorite way of saying it, but, it is acceptable.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote: it is acceptable.
I suppose if your intent is to be laughed at and looked upon as an idiot, it would be about as functional as your posts here to that end.
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mike the Lab Rat »

Dinsdale wrote:
smackaholic wrote: So, when refering to the residents that inhabit the coldest and wettest part of that cold wet rock that is britain, I do believe scotch is an acceptable term.
Then you believe dead fucking wrong.

Whiskey from Scotland is "scotch."

Objects from Scotland are "Scottish" (although this term can be applied to people too, it isn't preferred).

"Scots" are the People of Scotland.

But by all means, wait for Nish to set you straight.

BTW-Nish makes me laugh a great deal more than God does...BODE Nish.
My wife's family is of Scottish descent (from "the wee village of Torrance") and dad-in-law gets p.o.'d when he hears someone use "Scotch" as the adjective in referring to his background. He also points out that "Scotch" is either tape or whisky (with no "e")...

As mad as he gets with the "Scottish" bit, you should see him go nuts when someone go for the "English, Scottish...same thing..." bit.
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Until very recently, a UK team would have consisted of 10 of the England team and Ryan Giggs.

The reason why there are 4 UK teams is because no-one - and I mean no-one - wants it any other way. Apart from FIFA.

And applying 'Scotch' to a person is wrong, wrong, wrong.
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Nishlord wrote: And applying 'Scotch' to a person is wrong, wrong, wrong.

particularly if said person is a known alcoholic. myself, I prefer top shelf vodka.

So, it's decided then. A bloke from scotland is a scot or scotish, but, if you call him scotch, he'll kick you in the bullocks.

Is scotch considered a derisive term or just an improper or outdated one? I have heard the description scotch-irish used in the US, to describe folks from that limeage. Usually aimed at '85 monte carlo driving white trash from georgia.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Haaaaaaah! He's being sucked in to the glorious world of Soccerball!
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

mvscal wrote:
smackaholic wrote:if you call him scotch, he'll kick you in the bullocks.
Bullocks are steers. Bollocks are what you might be kicked in.
English slang corrected by a wetback. I suck.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote:Is scotch considered a derisive term or just an improper or outdated one?

It's kind of the equivalent of calling an American "Bourbon."
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Or jack daniels? actually, I guess there probably are a handful of jack daniels walking about.