Strategy

No headbutting

Moderator: Nishlord

Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Strategy

Post by Uncle Fester »

Saw a few minutes of France vs. Spain.

Whenever Spain had the ball, they'd advance it a few feet and when pressured, kick it backward to one of their teammates.

There were openings to just take off on a mad dash toward the opposing goal, but they seemed to want everyone to go down the field together.

So the ball went:

forward
back
forward
back
forward
back
etc.

When they finally got the whole clump of soccer players about halfway downfield, they'd kick it back to the defenseman (or whatever you call him), and then that guy would BOOT THE BALL FIFTY YARDS DOWNFIELD TO THE OTHER TEAM.

ALL OF THAT DINKIN AND DIVING ONLY TO GIVE IT UP FOR A FLOATING FIFTY YARD PASS.

GODDAMMIT IT ALL TO HELL, JUST RUN THE SILLY THING DOWNFIELD AND KICK IT IN THE GIANT NET.

IT'S A MADHOUSE, A MADHOUSE!
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

You forgot about the time a defender kicked the ball away and the guy rolled around on the ground for five minutes was taken off on a stretcher and promptly sprinted back into the "action".
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I'm with you, fester.

I don't dislike the game, I'm just confused by it. And since I don't fully understand it, I try not to knock it. But SERIOUSLY! Why do they spend so much time moving the ball backwards? Are they conserving energy? Are they trying to set up the triangle offense?
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

More often than not teams pass back in order to retain possession. You're also making the defending team chase the ball which lowers their stamina for an attack. There are no downs, no shotclock, no backcourt violations, so use the whole field.

Fester, not every play in the NFL is here I come, three yards and a cloud of dust. Does a QB not drop back in order to pass forward? Not every UFC psycho goes straight ahead, full-throttle. Do you not first pull the tab on your precious Hamms back in order to open the can and sample its sweet elixir? Why begrudge soccer?
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

socal wrote:Do you not first pull the tab on your precious Hamms back in order to open the can and sample its sweet elixir? Why begrudge soccer?
Word.

Or take from the back that can of Hamms that's just a few degrees cooler than the poor, innocent tins of silver in front that have been disregardingly warmed by the casual opening and closing of the fridge door by visiting second-cousins from North Dakota. Elemental, friends, elemental.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

the words hamm's and sweet elixir should never be contained in the same post, never mind same sentence.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

smackaholic wrote:the words hamm's and sweet elixir should never be contained in the same post, never mind same sentence.
I shivered and tingled as I pulled out and drained my sweet elixir onto her two hamm's high in the air.

Back to the topic at hand...
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

More often than not teams pass back in order to retain possession.
Yeah, I get it. So why work your ass off to retain possession for five minutes just so some yahoo can ultimately punt the ball 40 yards downfield and LOSE possession? It makes no sense.

All that endless diddling around and then the goalie or defensive guy just boots it into the air. Ponderous.

Soccer has got to be the most maddening and frustrating sport to watch of all time.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Try playing it.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

A heart attack would ensue. Me thinks Fes will stay on the couch and drink Hamm's.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

I have played soccer. It's something to do I guess and it's better than watching it.

I'll take the argument, "You should watch soccer because the players have good cardio," under advisement.

Sounds a lot like something I'd hear from the old Ultimate Frisbee troll.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Fess, in your battering of "proper" **snicker** football, you have yet to bring up the point that Hamm's consumption during the game, is really rather difficult, whereas real football, though not as beer friendly as say bowling or softball, can still be done.

I need to go into marketing. I am convinced an advertising campaign extolling these virtues would have everyone on that miserable cold damp rock from nish to the queen herself, wearing a wrist thingy and paying a months salary on one of them hopped up al lou minny um bats.

It only makes sense. The english are known primarily for their considerable drinking talents. Why, they are at this moment drinking germany dry. This is some feat as the gerries, no drinking slouches themselves, have been trying to do this for centuries.

Actually, there is an exception to this rule as there usually is with most rules. He's called the goalie. You can't tell me that the english net tender doesn't have a few pints somewhere down there behind one of the posts. Were I him, I'd have a 30 pack, atleast. I'd say goalie is second only to wednesday night beer league dude in the beer friendly category. Softball right fielder is a close third.

What would be the least beer friendly position in the sports world? I'll go with formula 1 driver. neckcar dude isn't even top ten except maybe at bristol or a road course.
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

I once waterskied barefoot at night wearing an empty 12-pack box on my head. I was not able to hold actual beerage in my hand at that point as I was going 40 mph, but the box seemed an adequate homage.

The Walter's Brewery (RIP) of Eau Claire Wisconsin was still in business at that time. Sigh.

I remember also drinking something called "Red Dog" during that weekend and being subsequently nicknamed that by some of our bikini-clad female companions.

What a weekend. I made a step-off wearing only a swimming suit, which can be hard on the nuts, and my friend did a two-ski barefoot bombout wearing an orange fukking lifejacket in front of a pontoon boat full of girls.

Those were the days.

You So-Cal fukkers don't know what you are missing in Northern Wisconsin.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Uncle Fester wrote: You So-Cal fukkers don't know what you are missing in Northern Wisconsin.
hypothermia and women in real bad need of a shave?
Louis Cyphre
Elwood

Post by Louis Cyphre »

smackaholic wrote:the words hamm's and sweet elixir should never be contained in the same post, never mind same sentence.
You beer snobs crack me up!

sin,

War Wagon
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."