No headbutting

Moderator: Nishlord

Shoalzie
WingNut

...and then there were 8

Post by Shoalzie »

Friday's Games:
Argentina vs. Germany
A matchup of probably the two most explosive attacks remaining in the tournament. Mexico gave Argentina all they could handle and it took a brilliant goal in overtime to put them through to the next round. On the other hand, Germany literally put the game on ice just a dozen minutes into their match with Sweden. The Germans lead all teams in shots and shots on goal. Klose, Podolski and Ballack will put plenty of pressure on Argentina and I see them in front of their home fans move onto the semifinals.

My pick: Germany 2, Argentina 1

Italy vs. Ukraine
This probably the least attractive of the four quarterfinals. Italy has yet to put together one complete game. Italy has yet to yield a goal...the only ball to get past Buffon so far was off the foot of Zaccardo in the game against Team USA. Italy and Ukraine met in a friendly just before the start of the tournament...finished in a scoreless draw. I see this being a defensive struggle with Italy winning on a goal late in the second half.

My pick: Italy 1, Ukraine 0

Saturday's Games:
England vs. Portugal
You have to wonder how much Portugal will miss Deco, who got a red card in the match against the Dutch. Both teams have gotten most of their offense from the midfield. England needs to push the play much more than they have. When they have done it in this tournament, they're much more dangerous of a side. They've been able to do enough to get this far but they're capable of so much more. Sweden showed their defense isn't inpenetrable. I think Portugal will be able push forth and get more than their fair share of opportunities on Robinson and the English backline. I like their finishes just a little bit more than I like England's. They really could use a second striker to help free up Rooney. Just from what we've seen so far in this tournament, Portugal has shown it's full potential and I see them moving on.

My pick: Portugal 2, England 0

Brazil vs. France
I think this is potentially the best of the quarterfinals matches because both of these sides are peaking at the right time. France struggled to get through Group G. It took them putting on a late barrage against Korea to advance to the knockout round. Brazil had a fairly easy road to the knockout rounds but their offense really didn't come alive until their match against Japan. Ronaldo has come alive and with him finally becoming the all-time leader scorer in Cup history, he can focus solely on the real goal, getting Brazil another World Cup. In the battle of the last three World Cup winners, I see this being a goal fest with Brazil prevailing. This game will be the easiest on the eyes of the four matches...plenty of skill and offense will be on display in this one and not a lot of defense.

My pick: Brazil 3, France 2
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

There will be a mass desertion from work on Friday afternoon for Germany-Argentina, which has to be the game of the tournament. I'm about a thousand times more excited about that game than England-Portugal, which is doomed to go to penalties, even though England should absolutely batter them.

Italy to put Ukraine out. France to crumble to Brazil.
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Agree with Shoalz for the most part, especially with the scores in the first two games.

Arg-Ger is the game of the tournament, at least on paper. Should be excellent.

England-Portugal will be interesting. Portugal has more firepower than England, but will also be missing Deco. Lampard and Girard will have to show up in order for England to win. England in a sqeaker.

Brazil will finally be tested in this tournament. (about freaking time). France is finally starting to click, while Brazil is still trying to get into sync. If France can continue to mark well defensively, they have a chance. I'd say it's a 60 percent chance Brazil moves on, a 40 percent chance France pulls out the win. Henry is due for a breakout game, but so is Ronaldhino.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Argentina 3 Germany 1
Italy 2 Ukraine 1
England 2 Portugal 1
Brazil 3 France 0
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Going out on a limb... :lol:

Semis
Argentina
Italy
England
Brasil

Final
Argentina
Brasil

Champ
Brasil
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

socal wrote:Argentina 3 Germany 1
Italy 2 Ukraine 1
England 2 Portugal 1
Brazil 3 France 0
'swhat I see
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Home crowd, great forward play and better defense. Argentina played so-so in their last game against a tough Mexico squad...... the crystal ball says

Germany 2
Argentina 1

Italy 1
Ukraine 0

Brazil and France could be interesting. Brazil has yet to be challenged. France has played a few close games. They also are finding their stride. Henry and Zidane play well together.

I see at the final whistle

France 2
Brazil 2

It goes to penalty shootout and Brazil wins 3-1.

England...England....England. What can they do? The injuries are tough. I still think that they haven't played a complete game yet. Portugal are in a tough spot. WIthout Deco and Renaldo, that is a tough deal. Especially in the midfield.

England 2
Portugal 1
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

Germany d. Argentina 3-2
Italy d. Ukraine 1-0
Brazil d. France 2-0
England d. Portugal in PKs after a 1-1 tie.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Getting chippy in the opener. Abbondanzieri gets knocked out of the game. Surprised there's only 3 yellow cards given out but it's becoming a dive-fest out there.

War ESPN 360
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Klose strikes again...tied 1-1 with time running out.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

It's a final...Germany wins 1-1 (4-2 in PK). Two brilliant saves by Lehman. This isn't the way these games should end though.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

PK's are a tough way to get knocked out of this tournament, but it was partially the Argentina coaching staff's own fault, subbing Riquelme and Crespo for two defensive-minded players, thinking they could just hang on in the second half. That proved fatal.

Also, Argentina had some back luck with their starting keeper being hurt.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

3 for 3...hopefully that Brazil-France match will be more exciting this early one. Kind of glad to see Mother England go down because they're painful to watch.