Reyna gone, arena next?

No headbutting

Moderator: Nishlord

T REX
Eternal Scobode

Reyna gone, arena next?

Post by T REX »

Claudia was god awful and was washed up years ago. Captain? He went down with the ship. Good riddance.

Arena should be fired.
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

I don't know why the hell Arena decided to play so conservative in this tournament, especially after 2002, when it was a no-holds-barred, go-for-it style.

Playing conservative in the WC can definitely get a coach axed. Just ask Steve Sampson after the '98 debacle.

I'm not sure Arena falls into the same category as Sampson in that we didn't play that conservative. In fact, I'm sure there are plenty of teams in Italy who'd consider him for a job, based on how we played against the Italians. (Their team got a LOT of shit from their media and fans for not beating us, being a man down for virtually the entire half, from what I've read.) Of course, most of the Italian fans don't care now, since they finished first in the group, and probably won't have much of a challenge until at least the quarterfinals.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Arena resign. He's been the national coach for close to eight years now, a long time for a national coach on the international stage. Most national coaches last one World Cup, maybe two, with one team. If they're deemed "good enough" they might end up coaching another national team. I definitely don't see that with Arena. If he ends up resigning or being fired, I see him coaching an MLS team for sure or maybe even a team in Europe.

If I were a reporter covering the Ghana post-game press conference, I would have asked him if he is going to resign from the U.S. national team. If that question was asked, I didn't see it, as I didn't watch the post-game comments on ESPN. Too pissed, plus I flipped over to the Czech-Ita game.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Just a name to keep in mind. If Arena leaves, watch for Jurgen Kilinsmann. He lives in Cali, is maried to an American woman and the Germans don't like his American training tactics. He is very close with Bruce. He plays an aggressive attacking style. They also play the offside trap like we do. He would get the most of the players and I guarantee we would score some goals. I would love to see it.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Harvdog wrote:Just a name to keep in mind. If Arena leaves, watch for Jurgen Kilinsmann. He lives in Cali, is maried to an American woman and the Germans don't like his American training tactics. He is very close with Bruce. He plays an aggressive attacking style. They also play the offside trap like we do. He would get the most of the players and I guarantee we would score some goals. I would love to see it.
Can we hire Hiddink? If not, bring on the Nazi.

Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Klinnsmann is more of your hippified German than your leather-trenchcoat-and-monacle German. He used to spend the close season toddling round Europe and America in a camper van.

I hadn't thought of him as a potential US coach. That's quite scary.
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Nishlord wrote:Klinnsmann is more of your hippified German than your leather-trenchcoat-and-monacle German. He used to spend the close season toddling round Europe and America in a camper van.

I hadn't thought of him as a potential US coach. That's quite scary.
Well.....Klinsmann is gone as the Nazi's coach. He is coming home to Cali. I would assume Arenas stepping down is next. Good-bye Arenas.