Round of 16

No headbutting

Moderator: Nishlord

RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Round of 16

Post by RadioFan »

Some interesting games to start the knockout stages.

Link to bracket

Holland-Portugal on Sunday is a hell of a matchup.

Germany should get by Sweden and Argentina should roll, setting up a great quarterfinal between those two, possibly.

A Brasil-Spain quarterfinal also looms. That would be a great game as well, as long as Spain can keep playing as they have ... a big if, given their history of choking in the later rounds.

I think the Germany/Argentina/Italy/Swiss side of the draw is tougher than the Brasil/England/Holland/Spain side.

Can't wait for the great level of this tournament to start.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Re: Round of 16

Post by Harvdog »

RadioFan wrote:Some interesting games to start the knockout stages.

Link to bracket

Holland-Portugal on Sunday is a hell of a matchup.

Germany should get by Sweden and Argentina should roll, setting up a great quarterfinal between those two, possibly.

A Brasil-Spain quarterfinal also looms. That would be a great game as well, as long as Spain can keep playing as they have ... a big if, given their history of choking in the later rounds.

I think the Germany/Argentina/Italy/Swiss side of the draw is tougher than the Brasil/England/Holland/Spain side.

Can't wait for the great level of this tournament to start.
This is what it is all about if you are a soccer fan. I cannot wait for the games to start.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

mexico will be tough today

throw out their loss, thay have a tough quality side, who tackle aggresively and hard, should be good physical south american battle
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Mexico played very well. It took a great shot to beat them in extra time.

Ecuador vs. England should be a great match, too.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

england is going to melt in the heat.

ecuador is used to playing in sweltering heat, this is a huge advantage, plus, the meltdown from england fans after a loss would be sweeeeeeeeeeeet, stuttgart will burn.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

England is lucky not to be down 1-0 at halftime.

The longer this game goes on, the better Ecuador's chances become.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Great goal by Beckham. England is going to have their hands full with either Holland or Portugal in the quarters.

Looking forward to the next game this afternoon. Should be a classic. GO HOLLAND
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Adelpiero wrote:england is going to melt in the heat.

ecuador is used to playing in sweltering heat, this is a huge advantage, plus, the meltdown from england fans after a loss would be sweeeeeeeeeeeet, stuttgart will burn.
Yeah, what could have been. The gerries are about 60 years overdue for a good burning courtesy of the allies.

There's hope yet though. The further england gets, the more bitter the hoolies will be when they go down. In the event they do win the whole damn thing, I'm guessing they'll go home and burn the entire fukking island right down to the ground. Someone should get in there quick and liberate their stocks of beer. I'll volunteer my services to oversea the evacuation the john courage warehouse.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

ecuador was playing for extratime, while being down 1-0 :meds: :meds: :meds:
Canadian
canadianlattitude.ca

Post by Canadian »

Well if England plays against Holland or Portugal like they played against Ecuador they will be toast. Actually England has not looked too good this tournament.

I hope they win it all but I don't think they will. I think Potugal if they get past Holland will eliminate England. England would have abetter shot against Holland but they really need to step it up.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

smackaholic wrote:
There's hope yet though. The further england gets, the more bitter the hoolies will be when they go down. In the event they do win the whole damn thing, I'm guessing they'll go home and burn the entire fukking island right down to the ground. Someone should get in there quick and liberate their stocks of beer. I'll volunteer my services to oversea the evacuation the john courage warehouse.
Fat, baby-murdering Osmond-teeth stetson-wearing Americans like you really shouldn't stereotype entire nations.

Although having said that, it pains me to report that England have the ugliest travelling support out of all 32 nations. Football hooliganism is so unfashionable these days, though. Good on the Stuttgart police for rounding up 120 nob-ends, keeping them in the nick over the match and then booting them home.
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
Canadian
canadianlattitude.ca

Post by Canadian »

I predict 2-1 Italy over Australia. In extra time.

I predict the Ukraine will defeat the Swiss in a shoot out 2-1 as well.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

The Italians are such pussies. Although nothing will match the diving going on yesterday.

Wow, what a dumb red card to take!
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Cross Traffic wrote:The Italians are such pussies. Although nothing will match the diving going on yesterday.

Wow, what a dumb red card to take!
Piss on the Italians. Bunch of espresso drinking, scooter driving punks.

Go Roos!!!
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Fuck the Spanish ref for calling a fucking penalty shot with no time left. The Italians were given a fucking gift.
Canadian
canadianlattitude.ca

Post by Canadian »

Man, I thought Australia was going to win, they sure outplayed Italy but that was a bullshit call by the ref giving Italy a penalty kick at the very end, it did not look like a penalty to me.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

That was absolutely criminal.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Did the ref have money riding on the game in Monaco? This game has the smell of a fix.
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

Who but Italy would pull a game like that out of their ass? Or have it pulled for them?
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

The Italians look like they need to mix in a shower, never have seen so many greaseballs in one place.
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

It was a good call, get over it. He slid in, didn't get the ball and impeded the way. He took a way a chace for Italy.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Horrible call. No way a ref should make that call with seconds left in stoppage time.

Nice "courageous" victory, Italy. :meds:
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

See You Next Wednesday wrote:It was a good call, get over it. He slid in, didn't get the ball and impeded the way. He took a way a chace for Italy.
Not for a penalty kick, and certainly not with 12 seconds left.
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Italy have got a very nice passage to the semis now, with an incredibly unconvincing Ukraine.

Come ON, Ghana!
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I had to finally see a highlight of the call. The Australian player didn't go out of his to trip of the Italian player. What probably got him into trouble was after he missed the challenge, he turned his body sideways to create a road block. The Italian player didn't have to go through the downed player but I think he saw an opportunity where he could draw some contact and maybe get a call. It's probably the same sort of thing when a shooter in basketball uses a fake to get a defender up in the air and in a vulnerable position and go out of their way to draw contact. I think the biggest crime of the call is that the Australians had no time afterwards to respond. To use another basketball analogy, it's like getting a free throw opportunity with one second left in a tie game. Officiating has been questionable in many of the games...I won't cry for Australia because there are probably a dozen teams at least with similar complaints.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Frogs and Spain...talk about a game where I don't want either to win.

Wonder how many times Spain's coach called Henry a monkey today.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

What a Spanish choke...up 1-0 to blow it.

Now the easy goal by Zidane to cap it off.