Why US fans dislike soccer...

No headbutting

Moderator: Nishlord

T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

smackaholic wrote:good point. allen iverson didn't learn his skills at a summer bball camp.
Allen Iverson hasn't won dick.
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

War Wagon wrote:
See You Next Wednesday wrote:The USs biggest problem is our lack of true playmakers. Players with the creativity and vision to make other teams worry about. WE have plenty of players who have some high level of technical ability, yet can't seem to create shots for themselves. And I think the reason is obvious, soccer in this coutnry is too organized. When was the last time you saw kids playing a pick-up soccer game? Do you think Ronaldinho or Wayne Rooney or Michael Ballack picked up there game chaning ability in the youth teams? No, they learned that extra something kicking a bal for fun with freinds, trying new things, crazy things. Out kids are put on teams, taught how to trap the ball, pass the ball, shoot the ball, dribble the ball in the most rote ways possible. What we are missing is the street. Why can Africa produce stronger teams? Why can outh America produce strong team? because growing up the kids fashion soccer balls out of whatever and play free flowing soccer anytime of the day. They don't set up cones and dribble around them, they don't set up one-two passing drills. They play. That is where they develop the creativity and the extra imagination that the US lakes entirely.
You are a dumbfuck.

The U.S team didn't "create" shots for the simple reason that they don't know how to play together as a team.

Conversely, other teams did "create" shots, because they do.
You are absolutley right, supergenius, that you are. If only the US had better teamwork we would be right up there competing with the world greats.

How fucking idiotic is that?
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

See You Next Wednesday wrote:If only the US had better teamwork we would be right up there competing with the world greats.

How fucking idiotic is that?
Not idiotic at all.

Sin,
Brazil
Argentina
Holland
ect.
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

T REX wrote:
smackaholic wrote:good point. allen iverson didn't learn his skills at a summer bball camp.
Allen Iverson hasn't won dick.
AI has had a supporting cast of absolute shit.
he is a fukking hood rat, gangster POS, but, he is also an amazing talent. That series against the lakers a few years back showed what a fukking warrior that fukker is when he wants to be. If the US sahkah team had half his talent/heart, they wouldn't be home watching the rest of the tournament on tv.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

RadioFan wrote:
poptart wrote:nowhere near the same level of athlete as American ballplayers
:lol:

You're kidding, right?

Guys who stand around for the better part of 4 hours a day are more "athletic" than guys who run nonstop for an hour and a half?

Have some more herbal tea, pop.
Level of athlete was my statement.

I guess you want to focus on the 'lack of athleticism' of MLB players ...?

How many of the euro foosball dorks could hit a curveball ... ?

How many would throw like a girl ... ?
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

RadioFan wrote:
Go Ghana. FUCK Brasil and all of those samba dancin,' care-free motherfuckers. I'm sick of it.
FAG!

If I see you I will punch you in your jizzreceptacle.

...and then run like hell. :lol:
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

baseball and footie both require a high level of hand/foot to eye coordination. the odds are pretty good that a world class footie player would have made a good baseball player. the biggest difference is the level of stamina required to play sahkah. you won't see any john kruks playing world class futebol.
JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Post by JCT »

poptart wrote: throw like a girl ... ?

I'll sign him!

- Brian Cashman
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

RadioFan wrote: Guys who stand around for the better part of 4 hours a day are more "athletic" than guys who run nonstop for an hour and a half?
Thats a point that soccer geek is constantly trying to make that just doesnt stand up. Soccer players are not running non stop for 90 minutes, they have 10 or 15 second bursts that surround several minutes of standing, walking or joging. Hell if youre going to say that jogging for 90 minutes is exciting as hell to watch, go watch marathons or triathalons, hell talk about excitement switching from speedos to grape smuggler shorts, that would have soccer fans beating drums and chanting for hours
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

As opposed to what? Your star players spending half a game sitting on a bench?

For someone who doesn't like Sahkah, you're spending way too much time on a board painting yourself into a corner. Fact is, Proper Football is the most popular sport in the world, and nobody cares if you don't understand it and would rather see men in helmets and Dynasty shoulder-pad running into each other for 3 hours. Tedious little man.
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

and since when does "most popular" mean "best"
Michael Jackson is one of the worlds most popular singers, that doesnt make him less shitty

How do you say "proper football" in German, cause if it wasnt for the US, thats the language you Lymies would be speaking
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Ah, so you've lost the argument then.

1) If it wasn't for the Russians, we'd be speaking German.

2) If it wasn't for the English, you lot would be speaking Spanish a lot sooner than you will.

3) For someone interested in a sport that has been rife with steroid abuse, your whining about cheating players is laughable.

4) There are plenty of other forums on the oneboard network for you to display your ignorance upon, you're only here to carp, and you're not even any good at it. So fuck off elsewhere if you have nothing interesting to say.
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Guys who stand around for the better part of 4 hours a day are more "athletic" than guys who run nonstop for an hour and a half?
This take has always bothered me. Yes soccer players run more than players in most other sports. However, there is no way you can say they run non-stop for an hour and a half. Fulbacks don't always join the attack and are standing somewhere along the midfield line, forwards don't always fall back to play defense in front of their goal and as such are standing around the mid field line, the keepers...enough said, everyone stands around while the player who just flopped trying to bait the ref into a call rolls around grabbing his ankle, etc.

Not to mention the stalling that goes on in games where teams will pass the ball along the defensive line and then pass it back to the keeper, the keep away when sitting on a lead, the 45 seconds it takes to throw in a ball when leading. The only athletes that run non-stop are distance runners.
The only athletes who run non-stop for an hour and a half are distance runners.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

Left Seater wrote:

Not to mention the stalling that goes on in games where teams will pass the ball along the defensive line and then pass it back to the keeper, the keep away when sitting on a lead, the 45 seconds it takes to throw in a ball when leading. The only athletes that run non-stop are distance runners.
The only athletes who run non-stop for an hour and a half are distance runners.
Trust me Lefty, world class soccer players are in world class shape. A midfielder will run up to a 10K or more in a game. And there is very little standing around. Watch closely. And whatever standing around there is doesn't give them much chance to recover from all the sprints they have to do. They aren't going for a distance run as much as they are doing two sets of 45 min wind-sprint intervals with a 10 min break.

Lefty, you're entitled to your opinion about the sport, but this is one aspect of it you should leave alone. It is mind-boggling how good of shape these guys are in.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

who cares about all the running if they dont get to hit the guy with the ball?
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

Imagine if all soccer players looked like that:
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Q,

Maybe you missed it where I said these guys run more than most other sports?

I just took issue with the take that these guys run non-stop for 90 minutes. They don't. Period.

I am not trying to compare them to other sports. Hell, I run more as a wing official than do many of the players in the games I officiate.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

I played soccer for 17 years. I also played basketball and football and I can tell you that Soccer required more stamina than any of the other sports that I played. I was in better shape playing soccer. I went to a small high school in Europe for my first 3 years of high school and played a ton of sports. After bball season we started soccer and the training was a bitch.

And SoCal, if all you are interested in is hitting then go watch rugby. Soccer is a very physical sport. I can tell you that when I moved back to the US my senior year of high school and played against all the guys that played soccer here, they bitched about my physical play. It takes incredible skill to be able to see what they see and make the passes and shots while someone is hitting and pulling on you. You should try it.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

To do well in soccer you DO have to have a lot going for you.
You have to have outstanding cardiovascular endurance, good dexterity, body control, leg strength, and flexibility.
And Harvdog is right, it is a much more physical sport than most Americans think.

But look now, fabled star 'Ronaldo' is just a tad over 6' tall.
David Beckham is 5'11".
The guys are slight of build.
This is how it basically is for soccer player.
As 'skilled' as these guys are, they are essentially Steve Alford and Bobby Hurley.
Do you understand what I am saying ... ?

Derek Jeter is on the 'small side' for sure in MLB, and hell, he is 6'3" 195.
Skilled little soccer man has his place on the soccer field and that is just fine.
Fact of the matter is that even the TOP soccer players in the world would have NO place in an arena of the 'big 3' American sports .... MLB, NFL, NBA.

Soccer player is, to sum it up, an inferior athlete.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Shaddup 'tart. You said this:
poptart wrote: How many would throw like a girl ... ?
Not one of your finer moments.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

I'm sure they could fire the pill like demons underhand though, Wagon.

Btw, hiefer softball chick has no place on a soccer field.

Don't have the skill set.

'sayin
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Dude, my daughter pitched baseball from 6-11 years of age and still has a fucking cannon of an arm. I'd dare you to play burnout with her. I don't want none. She wore my glove out long ago.

She's not a heifer, either. You've seen my pic. Could my child be fat?

She also played soccer in High school, but that didn't really trip her trigger.

Lose the stereotypes about women athletes.

Just sayin'.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

I've been around a lot of female athletes, and I generally like them.

I'd probably like your girl.

A lot of chicks cry when they lose.

Guys break things.

Not that scientific, I know, but that's the difference as I see it.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

SoCalTrjn wrote:who cares about all the running if they dont get to hit the guy with the ball?
Fucking hell, mate. Where do you place the Who's gig at Cincinnati on your All-Time Favourite Stampede list? Above or below the Hajj stoning?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

poptart wrote:Derek Jeter is on the 'small side' for sure in MLB, and hell, he is 6'3" 195.
Skilled little soccer man has his place on the soccer field and that is just fine.
Fact of the matter is that even the TOP soccer players in the world would have NO place in an arena of the 'big 3' American sports .... MLB, NFL, NBA.

Soccer player is, to sum it up, an inferior athlete.
Tell it to allen iverson. 6'3", btw, is pretty damn big for a SS. The baseball hall of fame is chock full of guys 6 foot and under. So, you might wanna exclude baseball in your dumbass analogy.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Hall of Fame ... ?

Dude, in case you haven't noticed, today's MLBers are a LOT bigger than players of past eras.

Anyway, MLB players are considerably smaller than NFL or NBA players so it's no surprise that you'd choose to go there.

Of the 23 players on the US World Cup team, 10 of them are under 6'0"

Contrast that with last year's 18 MLB all-star starters, where JUST 3 were under 6'0".

Little soccer fella would be a middle-infielder (if that) in MLB, he'd be a Hurley or Alford in the NBA, and he'd be Adam Sandler in the NFL.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

poptart wrote:Hall of Fame ... ?

Dude, in case you haven't noticed, today's MLBers are a LOT bigger than players of past eras.

roids'll do that. and yeah, some are, some aren't.

Anyway, MLB players are considerably smaller than NFL or NBA players so it's no surprise that you'd choose to go there.

you forgot, sin MA

Of the 23 players on the US World Cup team, 10 of them are under 6'0"

Contrast that with last year's 18 MLB all-star starters, where JUST 3 were under 6'0".

I thought you just said that little fellas can't make it in american sports? Sounds like 3 did. How many were 6 ft even or 6' 1? I'll bet quite a few.

Little soccer fella would be a middle-infielder (if that) in MLB, he'd be a Hurley or Alford in the NBA, and he'd be Adam Sandler in the NFL.
And the fridge would'a made a piss poor pinch runner.

Your point is?

Your initial take was sahkah player is not a real athlete. He would need to buy a ticket or sell popcorn to get into yankee stadium. Now, he's a middle infielder?

If your initial claim was sahkah player couldn't bat clean up or play right tackle, I would agree. It wasn't.

Let's just leave it at world class athletes are world class athletes. Derek Jeter could have probably made a pretty damn good forward or sweeper or mopper or whatever. Renaldo could have made a pretty good second baseman or maybe a cornerback with a little bit of lifting and some errrrr "dietary supplements".
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Ok, so the TOP soccer guys might make it in middle infield on a MLB diamond.

Is that supposed to impress ... ?

The rest of the soccer guys (90%) would be SOL at making it anywhere in one of the 'big 3' American sports.

On the other hand, IMO, at least 50% of pro athletes in the 'big 3' would have made it in soccer if they had chosen to play that sport.

Do you think the US World Cup players would be dicking around in soccer if they could compete, and get paid & laid, in one of the 3 biggies ... ?

They chose soccer early on because they knew they couldn't hack it in the bigs.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Leave it to poptard; if you're not pulling big dollars, you're not an athlete? AM talk radio desperately needs you.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

poptart wrote:They chose soccer early on because they knew they couldn't hack it in the bigs.
The reverse is also true.

The inferences that all we need are a bunch of Lawrence Taylors and Shaqs playing for us, that we'd kick ass, is simply idiotic.

Different athletes have different skills. It's the same reason why Pete Sampras or Roger Federer played tennis and not baseball.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

poptart wrote:Hall of Fame ... ?

Yeah, I know. Uncle. :roll:

Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Rugby wouldnt be a bad sport if they allowed blocking and a forward pass.

Soccer is just a god damn boring sport, mock injuries; diving like Greg Looseanus; the faggy little celebrations when they finally do something and the constant stalling might appeal to Euros and people from third world countries but it doesnt now and never will appeal to Americans.

Petros said that if a football player was carried off the field on a stretcher hed have just suffered a season ending injury, to soccer cunt, thats strategy, falling down and acting like a pussy when nothing happened to you is all Americans need to see to know that soccer isnt appealing
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

^^ good point.

Our athletes pride themselves on leaving the field under their own power.

Soccerfags routinely get carried off on stretchers, and more often than not are back on the pitch within minutes.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

WolverineSteve wrote:Soccerfags routinely get carried off on stretchers, and more often than not are back on the pitch within minutes.
[sarcasm]That just speaks more to their recovery ability.[/sarcasm]

Seriously, I still love soccer. I DO hate the flopping just as I hate it in basketball. I saw someone get a yellow card for diving in the Brazil/Ghana game that resulted in a red card due to it being the second yellow for the player. I wish there were more cards given for dives. Anything that is close to it. I guarandamntee you it would all but rid the sport of diving. At the very least, keep blatant dives as cards. If it is questionable, still call a foul but on the diver.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

socal wrote:.....if you're not pulling big dollars, you're not an athlete?
I never made that point.
In fact, you apparently turned a blind eye when I said......

To do well in soccer you DO have to have a lot going for you.
You have to have outstanding cardiovascular endurance, good dexterity, body control, leg strength, and flexibility.
And Harvdog is right, it is a much more physical sport than most Americans think.

RF wrote:The inferences that all we need are a bunch of Lawrence Taylors and Shaqs playing for us, that we'd kick ass, is simply idiotic.
That isn't my inference.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Come again?
poptart wrote:Do you think the US World Cup players would be dicking around in soccer if they could compete, and get paid & laid, in one of the 3 biggies ... ?

They chose soccer early on because they knew they couldn't hack it in the bigs.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

What part of my comments there don't you agree with .... ?
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

poptart wrote:What part of my comments there don't you agree with .... ?
You might start with my tennis comparison, before asking another question with one posed to you, pop.

And no, I'm not saying you inferenced anything. Tards in this thread have though.
poptart wrote:But look now, fabled star 'Ronaldo' is just a tad over 6' tall.
David Beckham is 5'11".
The guys are slight of build.
This is how it basically is for soccer player.
As 'skilled' as these guys are, they are essentially Steve Alford and Bobby Hurley.
Do you understand what I am saying ... ?

Derek Jeter is on the 'small side' for sure in MLB, and hell, he is 6'3" 195.
And your point is what, in regard to Pete Sampras or Roger?

Or should I say "skilled little tennis man?" Dumbass.
poptart wrote:Fact of the matter is that even the TOP soccer players in the world would have NO place in an arena of the 'big 3' American sports .... MLB, NFL, NBA.
Fact is, most major athletes in the U.S couldn't hang for a half of a half on the soccer pitch, just as most of the TOP players in the "big 3" (that's funny, btw, in the big picture), would have NO place on the tennis court.

Apples to apples, not LT to Donovan, nor Federer.

Btw, I'm sure your argument works really well in Korea. I'm sure the whole, "Hey, hold on folks, don't dispair! There's real sports going on ... like football, baseball and basketball!

Especially this time of year.

:meds: :meds:
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

It is MUCH more demanding to be a top 10 world tennis player than it is to be a top 10 world soccer player.
Mentally, physically and emotionally, the demands on a tennis player are much more.
It's not close.
It's a slap in the face of Sampras to put a Ronaldo in the same sentence as him.
Sampras is one of the top 10 athletes of all-time.
I don't expect you to like that take, but ... oh well. haha

Are you going to tell me that Lawrence Taylor (a name you tossed out) wouldn't have kicked ass as a soccer goalie if soccer had been the ONLY sport available to him growing up ... ?

Would he not have been far superior to the half-balding Gunthers and Fabios of the world ... ?

Yes, of course he would.

He'd wipe his ass with those type of guys.

Deion Sanders wouldn't have made it in soccer if it was the only sport he had available to him growing up ... ?

I could go on forever naming off 'big 3' guys who would have kicked ass in soccer if that was the ONLY thing available to them growing up.

You can NOT say the same thing about soccer guys making it in 'big 3' sports.

That is why they chose soccer.

Just step back, remove your emotion, and look at it objectively.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

This is a stupid arguement........

If we had a bunch of Terrell Owens' and Jerry Rice's playing soccer, we would dominate. Period.
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07