First up ...

9 a.m. CT, Tuesday:
*Ecuador vs. *Germany
Costa Rica vs. Poland

2 p.m. CT, Tuesday:
*England vs. Sweden
Paraguay vs. T&T

* qualified for second round

Like Nish said, no games will determine who moves on in either of these groups (though there is an outside chance T&T could move on over Sweden), but the marquee games (ECU-GER, ENG-SWE) will determine who goes in as group winner or runner up. Theoretically, Germany and Sweden will be in attack mode, so they can win their respective groups.

Holy shit, I'm glad I have off starting Tuesday, for the next week.

This tourney is about to get good, starting Tuesday-Friday, and REALLY good starting Saturday, when the knockout stages/single-game elimination round of 16 begin.

As Jimmy Junk would say .... HOLY ___!!! YOU F_______ KIDDING! :lol:
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

I'll be verrrrrry interested in seeing how Germany play this one. They might go for the win, or snore their way through a 0-0 draw just to get England while they're still not not of first gear.

If England beat Germany in Round 2, there'll be so much jumping up and down that Scottish people will be catapulted into the Med.
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'm sure the Swedes would love to put up a good effort today considering they do need a win to move on. Meanwhile the Brits would probably like to please their fans with a solid effort today as well. For as unimpressive as they've been, they're through to the knockout stage. I'm sure there are several teams that would love to be in their position right now regardless of how they've played. To have 6 points after two games is the goal of every team that wants to win this tournament.

The most compelling situations in the tournament are the two groups that don't have a team at 6 points where the group winner and the two teams that will advance have yet to be determined. The Swiss and Korea can move on from Group G with a tie and knock out France but the Swiss would win the group on goal differential. I don't think the second place team in that group would like the idea of facing the potent Spanish squad in the knockout round but the Ukraine looks solid as well.

I can't help but look ahead to Thursday. Great drama for sure starting at 10 a.m. Both big games at the same time. Every team involved in Group E has a lot at stake. If you lose your game, you're done. The Americans are the only team that can't move on if they tie and that blowout loss to the Czechs will cost them dearly if it comes down to a goal differential situation. Team USA is in a good position to move on considering they want Italy to win but the Italians can move on with at least a tie. Just as long as the Czechs don't win a close game and the Americans take care of their own business and win in convincing fashion, they'll get through. Of course they'll have Brazil waiting for them in all likelihood in the next round but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. The Americans flat out need to beat Ghana before they can worry about the other game going on in Hamburg.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Oh yeah, and don't forget that Ecuador have five players on yellow cards. They might just field a second-string side and take their chances with England in the next round.

If the USA manage to beat Ghana, they'll fully deserve to be in the next round.
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

Germany's perfromance today could make England-Sweden a better game by giving those teams a little more of an incentive to win the group. Other than Arg-Ned, this game is the 1st round match I've been looking forward to the most.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Ugly looking injury to Owen right at the start of the game.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Yep, it doesn't look good for Owen at all.

What an incredible goal by Joe Cole. Holy shit.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Great game between Sweden and England.

England should have never allowed that second goal. If Sweden plays the way they did today, their game against Germany should be good.

I see England cruising past Ecuador, barring any defensive fuckups like today. Owen being out is going to hurt them in the latter stages.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Brits looked strong in the first 45. Beautiful goal by Cole and they badly outplayed Sweden to start. Complete flip-flop in the second...England took their foot off the gas but all they needed was a tie to win the group and avoid Germany in the next round. If the Brits put two halves together similar to that first half today, they'll move on for sure against Ecuador and beyond.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Sven does it again. Every time England get a one-goal lead, they take the foot right off the fucking gas. Second half was woeful. Woeful!

Thank God, G0d and G()d we avoided Germany and Argentina's half of the draw. I will not be happy on Sunday until we're 2-0 upl.

(Oh, and Shoalzie - Scottish people would eat your face off if they heard you refer to England as 'the Brits')
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Would you prefer it if I called them Limeys? :lol:

I'll call them English from now...I plead ignorance on the whole England/Great Britain/United Kingdom thing.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Next up:

Wednesday

9 a.m. CT
Mexico vs. Portugal
Iran vs. Angola

2 p.m. CT
Netherlands vs. Argentina
Ivory Coast vs. Serbia-Montenegro

Are you kidding me? Both marqee games are outfuckingstanding, at least on paper.

Mexico is playing well ... better than I thought they would. They should have beaten Angola like an old rug, which leads me to believe they are due. Portugal has talent at every position. Think either of these teams wants to face Argentina next? :lol: Should be a great game. I'd love to see Mexico win ... assuming of course ARG wins or draws with HOL, because I'd love to see an Argentina-Portugal matchup in the next round.

Which brings me to THE absolute game of the first round: HOL vs. ARG.

Don't know about you fellas, but I've had this game circled ever since the draw was announced in December. This is like a Finals game in the first round. It should tell a lot about both teams, going into the knockout stages.

I'm salivating over this game.

Bring it the fuck ON.

HUP HUP HOLLAND!!!!
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

I picked Holland to win it all and if they are to live up to my prediction, they need a good showing against Argentina. Mexico and Portugal will be good but I see a 2-1 Portugal win.

Argentina 2 - Holland 2
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

I had money on Holland to win their group, but I'm praying that they don't, as it'll put Argentina in the bottom half of the draw with England and Brazil, fucking up my team and my other bets.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

So much for expectations. Sheesh. Neither team looked like they seriously wanted to win.

Holland should have pressed harder. Now they get to play Portugal in the round of 16 and if they survive that, England in the quarters. Ugh.

The early games tomorrow should be a lot more compelling.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Can you blame 'em, though? Holland were obviously not bothered about playing a decidedly shaky Brazil or England. And Argentina don't give a fuck who they play.

Games like these - where both teams are already through - are essentially dead rubbers.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

I don't like the Netherlands having to play Portugal in the first knockout game. It's virtually the same team that waxed the orange in the semis in Greece two years ago. Tons of freaking talent on Portugal, plus they are playing really well, despite their underachieving in 2002. And if it goes to a shootout ... shit, I don't want to even think about it.

A potential matchup with England in the quarters just pisses me off because I'm a fan of both teams and don't like seeing them have to play each other, at least not that early.

Argentina is going to absolutely roll Mexico, imo.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

RadioFan wrote:I don't like the Netherlands having to play Portugal in the first knockout game. It's virtually the same team that waxed the orange in the semis in Greece two years ago. Tons of freaking talent on Portugal, plus they are playing really well, despite their underachieving in 2002. And if it goes to a shootout ... shit, I don't want to even think about .
Relax a bit.

That game in 04 was in Portugal and this time around Portugal is a step slower and the Oranje is a step faster.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Argentina played a solid first half against the Dutch but that game was somewhat of a bore considering the skill on both sides. Neither had much to play for...I'm sure we'll see their A-efforts this weekend in the cross-over matches.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Japan up 1-0 against Brazil.

Hell of a game so far. RACK the Japanese goal keeper. Several outstanding saves so far.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Damn jinx. So much for the potential upset.