US - Italy thread

No headbutting

Moderator: Nishlord

RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

US - Italy thread

Post by RadioFan »

Kinda difficult to feel optimistic about this game, especially after seeing Italy play earlier this week, following our debacle.

I've been trying to think of a decent analogy to describe this game to my non-futball fan friends and co-workers ....

One I came up with is last year's Missouri team taking on last year's USC team, in college football, on the "neutral" site of Berkley or Stanford.

No offense to Wags or any of the other Mizzou fans here, but my point is the U.S. team isn't that bad, despite their pathetic showing against the Czechs. I've watched them thoughout qualifying, and they can kick ass.

It's just ... that they're against ... Italy. Ugh.

Realistically, a tie against them would be a good result. That was the thinking going into this tournament -- that if we could somehow beat or tie the Czechs and survive against Italy with a tie -- we might be able to beat Ghana and get to the next round.

At this point, if I were on the U.S. team, I'd be so into marking my man on defense, when Italy has the ball, it's not even funny.

I don't think we should just lay back all game long and let the Italians pick and choose their shots ... but, by the very nature of the way Italy plays, I'd be extremely wary of the patented Italian counter attack.

At the onset, however, they WILL attack. We need to weather the storm and NOT give up an early goal. It killed us against the Czechs. My main fear is that the same shit may happen against Italy, with worse results.

Our midfield will be the key to this game, without a doubt. Beasley and Reyna need to fucking show up.

My feeling on this game is we need to play reserved, especially in the first half, and attack only when the opportunity presents itself, especially in the second half.

Thoughts?
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

If it was any major Euro team but Italy - even England - I'd predict an absolute batterment of a game. If the US have a serious go, however, they have a very good chance of upsetting the odds. Italy are notorious at fucking up in the group stage, scraping through, and coming good in the knockout stage.

I've been on this board for 3 World Cups now, and I'm still nowhere near seeing an England - USA game. Sigh.
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Sad to say for American fans, Italy will be the boot in more ways than one in this match.

The American's high ranking (5th!?!?!?) is ridiculous.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

[The Smiths - How Soon is Now?] More guitar. [/The Smiths - How Soon is Now?]

... See I've already waited too long
And all my hope is ... gone ...

Fuck it.

GO USA
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

I think our defense will play better. The one thing that we didn't do well against the Czech's was attack. We need to be able to set up a constant attack against Italy. Their defense is good. We need to be able to create space and have some timed runs into the box if we are to escape with points.

Dream scenario we win. I think there is a good chance we tie. The agony is prolonged until Thursday.

USA 1
Italy 1
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

GHANA??????

they played spectacular.

Let's go....
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Czechs - 3
U.S.A -0

Ghana - 2
Czechs - 0

Italy - 2
Ghana - 0

It is going to be a long day for the Americans on the pitch today.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

Eddie Pope sucks.
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Nice elbow by De Rossi.

Add that to the own goal.....what an unlikely turn of events.
JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Post by JCT »

This just got really interesting.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Game on!

Pope is showing himself to be a liability though. Bruce needs to make a switch at half. Too bad a healthy Tony Sanneh is not an option this time.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

This game has been a Cliff Notes for Italian football.

Displaying the good: Clinical, oportunistic finishing.

The bad: Giving away the ball with out a fight a midfield.

The ugly: Cheep shot on McBride.
JCT

Post by JCT »

If I'm Italy I'm running at Pope and forcing him to do something stupid, again and getting him tossed with that 2nd yellow.
JCT

Post by JCT »

WHOA!
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

i have no beef with the red card for pablo. he did show the cleats with the tackle. and was late with the tackle, studs up. arena needs to quit crying about the call, and explain to pablo what a stupid assanine tackle it was. the tackle was going to do nothing but get him in trouble. yellow or red, he was going to see a card for the stupid tackle.

landon donovan blows. talk about an overrated POS.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Both red cards were properly given. Too many cards in this WC but those were deserved reds. You can't throw ewlbows and you can't go in with both set of cleats in the air towards the oter guy's ankles.

Both plays dumb and paid for.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

At least Pope's out :meds:

Arena sucks too.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

shit coaching

pope has been exploited, knows he's on a yellow and gets the red(debatable)

arena, ever heard of a sub???
JCT

Post by JCT »

It was only a matter of time for Pope to do something stupid. Surprised it was that quick though.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

I miss Tony Sanneh
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

In some respect that was one of the better games the US has ever played. 10 years ago could we survive and almost defeat Italy down a man? No way.

Talent wise, the US is there. Right there. We are not yet up to speed with the heavyweights when it comes to knowledge and experience in big matches though.

That was obvious today. They need to be smarter. They should have been aware that cards have been given out left and right in this tournament and should have adjusted their challenges accoringly. I think that our defenders, other than Onyewu (a stud) are too quick to stab or go to the ground. Play smarter.

Pope was a disaster. He should be remembered for having a great US career but at 33 he is a step slow and it is painfully obvious to everyone except it seems Arena.
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

The Mastreoni red card was a complete joke. The Pope one was less so. Very good effort by the USA. Although I have no idea why Arena pocketed his last substitute.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

I kept waiting for our last sub to come on....

WHAT THE FUCK!

Bruce Arena is a piece of shit. He shouldve subed on some fresh legs during regular time but I thought he was waiting to use that last sub for stoppage time. You know play for the tie and get rid of some time subbing in one last player but no.
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

I thought diving like pussies was something only Central and South American teams did, the Wops must think theyre playing in the turtle Cup cause they dove like a bunch of little bitches
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Absolutely a balls out game for the US. We got hosed on the cards. If you look at the replays, both Pablo and Eddie got the ball. Eddie should have known better. But on his first card the replay showed that he was the one being held and dragged down by the Italian striker.

The ref was the worst I have ever seen. He should be disbarred from ever reffin' a game at the world cup level. What a complete joke he was. This had the makings of an epic game and the ref did every thing he could to botch it.

Bravo to the US. I still think that we should have brought in Eddie Johnson in the 80 minute. His speed and scoring would have been a bitch for the tired Italian defense to handle.

Go ITALY.....beat the Czechs.

Good luck Thursday. Can't wait......
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Harvdog wrote:Absolutely a balls out game for the US. We got hosed on the cards. If you look at the replays, both Pablo and Eddie got the ball. Eddie should have known better. But on his first card the replay showed that he was the one being held and dragged down by the Italian striker.

The ref was the worst I have ever seen. He should be disbarred from ever reffin' a game at the world cup level. What a complete joke he was. This had the makings of an epic game and the ref did every thing he could to botch it.

Bravo to the US. I still think that we should have brought in Eddie Johnson in the 80 minute. His speed and scoring would have been a bitch for the tired Italian defense to handle.

Go ITALY.....beat the Czechs.

Good luck Thursday. Can't wait......
Concur. Mastroeni's should've be yellow.

Go Italia, and don't overlook Ghana.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

disbarred???
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Adelpiero wrote:disbarred???
Yeah, disbarred.... it means to deprive status and privileges
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

SoCalTrjn wrote:I thought diving like pussies was something only Central and South American teams did, the Wops must think theyre playing in the turtle Cup cause they dove like a bunch of little bitches
I thought Italy was known for flopping? They must be getting ready for the 10m springboard in Beijing.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

MuchoBulls wrote:
SoCalTrjn wrote:I thought diving like pussies was something only Central and South American teams did, the Wops must think theyre playing in the turtle Cup cause they dove like a bunch of little bitches
I thought Italy was known for flopping? They must be getting ready for the 10m springboard in Beijing.
no that is the premiere league and pippo inzaghi who are known for diving.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

I dont think of the US team as "We"
1 I dont play on the team
2. I have cheered for their opponent to beat them 15-0 in every game so we wont be subjected to this bullshit again in 4 years
If diving on the ground and faking injuries is what it takes to play soccer, let the rest of the world have it, you wont see a football player ger carried of the field on a stretcher, sprayed with an aerosol can and then jog back on to the field.
Bunch of cunts
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Rack you Harv for the prediction.
If diving on the ground and faking injuries is what it takes to play soccer, let the rest of the world have it, you wont see a football player ger carried of the field on a stretcher, sprayed with an aerosol can and then jog back on to the field.
Bunch of cunts
I really don't see a difference in that and what that Arkansas baseball player did when he didn't get hit by that pitch and then took 5 minutes to get "treatment" for his "hurt" arm. Or in the NBA when you see a guy flop and fall trying to draw the charge or the shooter who may have been grazed on his hand who falls on his ass and slides 15 feet backwards.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

thats why Im watching the Stanley Cup Finals. hockey and football are about the only team sports that I can stomach, cause theyre real sports, the defensive player hits the offensive player, thats how you should play every sport
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

^^^^^
Complete dumbfuck.

Forsberg is known for flopping in the NHL. It happens all the time there.

BTW, Have you never seen a QB, Kicker, or Punter take a dive?
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Floppa is a pile of shit visor clad Euro who learned that shit from watching soccer. Doesnt his family have something to do with soccer in Sweden?
When was the last time you saw a hockey or football player carried off the ice or field on a stretcher only to be sprayed down with an aerosol can wrapped in a towell and then back out there less than a minute later?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Harvdog wrote: Bravo to the US.
Absolutely. I got to watch the entire 2nd half. That was one gallant effort, especially being a man down. When Beasely scored that goal...I was all like jumping out of my chair and shit screaming GOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLL...only to have my fervent hopes and dreams shattered by a wave off.

Not that I ever had any hopes and dreams in the first place about WCS, mind you.

Ahem...
I still think that we should have brought in Eddie Johnson in the 80 minute. His speed and scoring would have been a bitch for the tired Italian defense to handle.
Was thinking the same thing myself. I guess that Arenas wanted defensive players out there, being a man down, and was just trying to preserve the draw. Hey, it worked...fucking pussy.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

That was a brilliant game. Only group so far where there'll be everything to play for in the final round of games. Problem is, Ghana will be well up for it.

Czech Republic and Ghana to go through.
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

SoCalTrjn wrote: When was the last time you saw a hockey or football player carried off the ice or field on a stretcher only to be sprayed down with an aerosol can wrapped in a towell and then back out there less than a minute later?
And you don't think that would happen in either sport is there wasn't line changes, or offense or defense playing a full game or unlimited substitutions?

I don't like it, either, but it's like comparing apples to landmines. If you've come here to bitch and whine and about something you don't understand, fuck off back to Battle Of The Monster Trucks.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

SoCalTrjn wrote:thats why Im watching the Stanley Cup Finals. hockey and football are about the only team sports that I can stomach, cause theyre real sports, the defensive player hits the offensive player, thats how you should play every sport
When you have the intelligence and attention span of a piece of styrofoam, then I can see why you would need endless violence to keep you entertained.

I like football and hockey, but to say they're the only "real" sports because they involve hitting is ridiculous. They're simply different sports - No more or less legit.

If this is your only true judge of what is a sport, why aren't you touting Ultimate Fighting Championship? Yeah...that eliminates all that "girly" stuff like passing, running, jumping, skating, puck handling, etc., and gets straight to the violence. Sounds like that would be more up your alley.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

SoCalTrjn wrote:thats why Im watching the Stanley Cup Finals. hockey and football are about the only team sports that I can stomach, cause theyre real sports, the defensive player hits the offensive player, thats how you should play every sport
Same guy who shows up to a hockey game and only cheers during the fights. :meds:

Since soccer is so beneath you, don't watch.