Here come BRASIL

No headbutting

Moderator: Nishlord

Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Here come BRASIL

Post by Nishlord »

The World Cup doesn't truly begin until Brazil kick off, y'know. And if they're going to win it again, it's about time they stopped resting on their laurels and really had the fucker.

1970 - Best team ever (according to widespread opinion)
1974 - Horribly European and negative
1978 - Didn't show up by their standards
1982 - Best team never to win it
1986 - Another no-show
1990 - Choked against Argentina
1994 - Cheating bastards, horrible final
1998 - Overhyped, lucky to beat Holland, deserved to lose
2002 - Kept their nerve while other big nations stumbled

The whole world seems to be begging for Ronaldinho to step up to the level of Pele and Maradona.
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

The tournament is theirs to lose.

Should be a good game later today against Croatia.

I think the Aussies may have a shot to tie them, as long as they don't make any defensive mistakes ... not easy to do against Brazil.

Japan will get waxed by at least 3 goals, imo.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

RadioFan wrote:The tournament is theirs to lose.

Should be a good game later today against Croatia.

I think the Aussies may have a shot to tie them, as long as they don't make any defensive mistakes ... not easy to do against Brazil.

Japan will get waxed by at least 3 goals, imo.
i dunno, about the Aussies against Brazil, the 3-1 scoreline against Japan flattered them. In reality the Aussies were outplayed by Japan most of the game. So Brazil should have an easy time, I think, against both those teams.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

We won't see what Brazil are capible of until the knockout stage and meet either Italy or the Czechs. The more time goes on, the more I have a feeling they might not do it. They haven't won in Europe since '58, remember.
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Kaka scored their first goal. Doesnt that mean shit in some language? I think spanish.
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Hm. Brazil are either starting slowly, or they're not all that. They were all over the shop at the back. Croatia should have pulled one back.
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

Nishlord wrote:Hm. Brazil are either starting slowly, or they're not all that. They were all over the shop at the back. Croatia should have pulled one back.
Oh I don't know, they could have pulled one back, but Brazil certainly missed out on some great chances to extend (paging Adriano). Of course, if Ronaldo continues to be sun-blocking fat twat out there then I agree they aren't all that.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Doesn't Brazil traditionally "play down to" the level of their opponent?

Maybe they weren't "all that" today, but they didn't look so bad, either. I saw most of the game, and Croatia didn't seem to be spending too much time mounting any sort of worrysome attacks. Lots of decent balls in and around the box for Brazil...with the caliber of scorers on the Brazilian team, I don't think too many teams are going to be able to give up that many nice balls and come away with a win. Croatia did a good job of keeping those nice passes from resulting in a rocket-on-goal, but...you can only give up so many of those balls within 20 yards of the goal before some of them find the back of the net.

While Brazil wasn't exactly at the top of their game, they still looked like a well-oiled machine, one that's only going to become better and better on offense. We didn't really get to see much of a defensive gameplan from them, due to not being threatened on defense much.

That's my $0.02, darnit.

The Games are off to a great start, though.

Go England. I'm a true blue, apple-pie eating, gun-toting, gasoline-burning, wife-beater-wearing American...but when the World Cup rolls around, I root for the Motherland, all the way. Always have. And maybe someday, if we're really lucky, England might even manage to win one...during my lifetime...hasn't happened yet. It will. Better happen soon...not sure how many more of these my Dad has left in him.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Dinsdale wrote:The Games are off to a great start, though.
Completely agree. Fantastic tournament thus far.

I've seen every game in full, with the exception of Portugal-Angola on Sunday, when I was able to mostly watch at work, with sound muted, and two today, when I was barely able to even glance at the muted TV at work. Good thing only one goal was scored in the last two games today, in my bitter not-having-enough days off perspective. Law of averages and stuff.
Go England. I'm a true blue, apple-pie eating, gun-toting, gasoline-burning, wife-beater-wearing American...but when the World Cup rolls around, I root for the Motherland, all the way. Always have. And maybe someday, if we're really lucky, England might even manage to win one...during my lifetime...hasn't happened yet. It will. Better happen soon...not sure how many more of these my Dad has left in him.
My father's side of the family (Dutch) notwithstanding, Fucking RACK.

My teams are Holland and England. Holland because of my blood. England because they invented the game and play it as it was meant to be played (Beckham's red card in '98 notwithstanding).

Believe it or not, I was actually able to get my Irish grandfather (God rest his soul) to cheer for ENGLAND in Euro '96, in Wisconsin. I came up to visit when it was going on, tried to explain it to him as best I could, and he actually got into the tournament and was cheering for England!

This coming from a man who has said the word "England" and spit on the ground most of his life or at least gave a sour face or a sort of implied "fuck you" tone whenever he was forced to say the word.

But then again my grandfather was a cool dude. Luth knows, as I've told stories about him before. He worked for the Miller Brewing Co., around the end of prohibition ... started in the bottlehous in Milwaukee and ended up the regional sales manager for Northern Wisconsin.

Anyway, the way I figure it, fuck all this bullshit about futball bringing "peace to the world" ('sup Ivory Coast?) If I could get my full-bood Irishman grandfather to watch a major tournament and root for England, it's not that bad of a game.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Brasil looked pretty good early, but I think that had more to do with nerves on Croatia's part. Once the Cro-ats settled in, their talent and Brasil's seemingly dis-interested play kept it close. If Croatia had a true striker, they could've won that game (assuming Brasil didn't step their game up......which is a big assumption).

Kaka's goal was a laser from just outside the box. Brasil had better chances than that, just couldn't hit paydirt.

The Brazilian speed and skill is something to behold. It's still early, but Holland is the best team I've seen so far.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Go Brazil....

TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

^^RRAAAKKKKKKKK!!
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

She's a popular young lady...

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

That chick is very rapidly becoming the Jenn Sterger of the international world.

RACK her.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Dinsdale wrote:That chick is very rapidly becoming the Jenn Sterger of the international world.

RACK her.

Brazil hottie > Jenn Sterger

(I'm going to assume she's all natural)
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

That's funny...don't they spell it with an "S" back home?
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Shoalzie wrote:Brazil hottie > Jenn Sterger

Instead of some silly argument about which one is hotter, I propose we declare them equals, and have them make out with each other as a tribute to international relations and stuff.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Against Australia today, Brazil had moments of flash, but they also looked sloppy at times.

The Aussies should have scored at least once ... the Brazilian keeper gives them a gift by dropping it in the box and dude overshoots a wide-open goal from about 12 feet away? Nice job. :meds:

Australia looked at times like they had a chance of pulling off the monumental upset. They played great defense most of the game, but just couldn't put it in goal. I give some of the credit to the Brazilian goalkeeper -- he's good, very good. Plus, as I've said, Brazil's defense is great ... way underrated.

It will be interesting to see what happens if Brazil gets down a goal in this tournament. I saw some of their superstars bitching at each other today following miscues.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

The good news for Brazil is that they have 6 points despite looking half-speed.

The bad news is they, well, look half speed.

Will they be able to throw the switch in time for the knockout phase? Right now they would get waxed by Argentina and beaten by Holland, Ecuador, and probably Germany and the Czechs (w/ healthy Baros or Koller).

And a potential 2nd round match with the USA could be interesting.

Unless Brazil dials it up a bit.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Shoalzie wrote: Brazil hottie > Jenn Sterger

I'd still take Jen. She at least likes real football.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Cicero wrote:
Shoalzie wrote: Brazil hottie > Jenn Sterger

I'd still take Jen. She at least likes real football.
Hey...Dumbass......Yeah, YOU! Why did you even open this forum? The stupidity knows no bounds...

Anyhoo, Brazil's goalie was outstanding today. Very underrated defense, but yeah, Argentina would have spanked them today. Ronaldo needs a red card where he can be a waterboy for a couple of games...

Nice fold and surrender by the Frenchies, btw... :lol:
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.