World Cup, er, 'Brackets'

No headbutting

Moderator: Nishlord

Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

World Cup, er, 'Brackets'

Post by Nishlord »

Here

I have Holland beating Argentina in the final. USA somehow managing to get out of their group and being tonked by Brazil in the Second round. England losing to Germany in the same round.
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Thanks for the link...that was fun to fill out. Went safe and picked Brazil over the Dutch...England finishes third over Italy. I too have Team USA eating it against my World Cup champion pick. My most wild pick...I have the Koreans in the round of 8 and I have the Saudis finishing second in Group H but losing to the French in the knockout round. I took some stabs in the dark but going with chalk with Brazil winning it all.
RedHerring
Elwood

Post by RedHerring »

As always, I'm cheering for these guys:

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke
Mac22
Elwood

Post by Mac22 »

that reminds me... Nish, did you see the movie Green Street... and if you did, what did you think of it?

just saw the england v. hungary game, and they of course show Melanie Slade... i see multiple blogs about her happenings, especially when on the arm of young Theo... is she seriously being made into a celeb over the water?
"Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital."

If teachers made twice as much as rock stars, which would you rather be?

There are two motivations in sports... which one is yours?

RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Re: World Cup, er, 'Brackets'

Post by RadioFan »

Nishlord wrote:I have Holland beating Argentina in the final.
I hope you're right. :twisted:

Honestly, I don't see Holland getting past the quarters in this tournament. The team this year arguably isn't nearly as strong or experienced as the team in '98 ... that team should have won it all. Fucking Kluivert. Still makes me pissed off thinking of that game and his inability to put the ball on goal from point-blank range, TWICE. Holland dominated that game, too.

FUCK.

Who do you have Brasil losing to this year in your bracket Nish? They are scary as hell. There's an international superstar/footballer of the year at every freaking position, seems like. I can't see anyone beating them (outside of PKs), except for maybe Germany, with the home crowd rocking behind them.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

RadioFan wrote:
Nishlord wrote:I have Holland beating Argentina in the final.
I hope you're right. :twisted:

Honestly, I don't see Holland getting past the quarters in this tournament. The team this year arguably isn't nearly as strong or experienced as the team in '98 ... that team should have won it all. Fucking Kluivert. Still makes me pissed off thinking of that game and his inability to put the ball on goal from point-blank range, TWICE. Holland dominated that game, too.

FUCK.

Who do you have Brasil losing to this year in your bracket Nish? They are scary as hell. There's an international superstar/footballer of the year at every freaking position, seems like. I can't see anyone beating them (outside of PKs), except for maybe Germany, with the home crowd rocking behind them.
Hasn't everyone been saying this for 16 years now though? and they have only pulled it outonce, if I am not misdtaken. They just seem to find a way to lose in the knock out round everytime.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

SunCoastSooner wrote:Hasn't everyone been saying this for 16 years now though? and they have only pulled it outonce, if I am not misdtaken.
They won it in '94, were in the championship game in '98 and won it four years ago.

In 2002, they lost one game (which they didn't need to finish first in their group) and never trailed except to England from the second round through the championship. Most of those guys are back this year.
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

Mac22 wrote:that reminds me... Nish, did you see the movie Green Street... and if you did, what did you think of it?
No, because it looked fucking awful. A mate of mine went to see it, and couldn't lost the suspension of disbelief created by Elijah Wood trying to be a hard-nut at West Ham games

just saw the england v. hungary game, and they of course show Melanie Slade... i see multiple blogs about her happenings, especially when on the arm of young Theo... is she seriously being made into a celeb over the water?
Yes. Sigh.

It may be Brazil's World Cup to win, but this year is looking like the tightest World Cup for ages. Italy, Argentina, Brazil and Holland could win it. France and Germany can't be discounted. The Czech Republic could easily rip through the knockout stages, and England are capible of winning it and being knocked out of the group stage.

I'm getting very excited about it now...
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

brazil too tough.

their back used to be their weakness(if they had a weakness), it is 100% better than the last world cup. noone can run and create like this team.

Holland have no heart, they could or should of been playing for atleast 1 if not 2 cups, but poor coaching and no heart has taken major hits. It started when guillet wanted a mil to play for team orange, has been worse since then. I could see a 2nd round exit. what a shame.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

oh yeah

i have $50 on Holland at (18-1) and czech (30-1) to win it all. rack the imperial palace, best odds on both teams at the time. was losing(thanx pacific +12) and figured what the hell, might as well piss all of my money away. gives me more rooting interest in holland and czech games
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Adelpiero wrote:i have $50 on Holland at (18-1) and czech (30-1) to win it all. rack the imperial palace, best odds on both teams at the time. was losing(thanx pacific +12) and figured what the hell, might as well piss all of my money away. gives me more rooting interest in holland and czech games
Rack that shit.

Just hope they don't have to play each other in the knockout stages until the final. :lol:

Adel, about your username ... he's retired, no? Or will he be playing for Italia?
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Adelpiero wrote:their back used to be their weakness(if they had a weakness), it is 100% better than the last world cup.
The thing that has always been underrated, imo, about Brazil is their defense. They definitely can play defense. Nobody was talking about it in '98, but it was their defense which carried them through to the final, not their offense.

2002 was a different story, though ... as they rarely needed defense.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Holland over Brazil

Croatia wins consolation.
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

Here's a very cool interactive wall chart...

http://www.teamtalk.com/Football365/Wor ... ktop_chart

And I am predicting Holland will not even make it out of the group stages. Vive Coote d'Ivorie!
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)