Joe Burrow speaks about Tua's scary injury

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Joe Burrow speaks about Tua's scary injury

Post by Softball Bat »

J. Burrow: The little guy needs to toughen up a bit. Nothing broken. Meh... I guess he'll be alright. I'm just glad we got the win tonight.

WAT?

:shock:

:)
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Re: Joe Burrow speaks about Tua's scary injury

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Sounds like the NFL needs concussion doctors with more teeth, as opposed to now where they' don't have independent power to take players out of games. And of course franchises like the status quo because they know the players want to play and they don't really give a shit about them.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

As recently as around 2006 or 2007 ESPN was airing a segment on its Sunday Night Football broadcast called... Jacked Up!

They would show the 5 biggest hits of the day, where dudes were just getting destroyed.
And when they showed the destruction, Tom Jackson, Chris Berman, and Michael Irvin (or whoever it was) would all laff and celebrate and shout out, "Hines Ward got... JACKED UP!!"
Dude who just got wrecked is laying out on the field and these studio guys are in celebration m0de on a national TV broadcast.
lol

It is insane through today's lens.

There is just much more awareness now to what is going on with these injuries, and with social media, and cameras everywhere, the whole dynamic has changed.

I happened to see an interview today -- Joe Burrow with Colin Cowherd.

Colin started talking about Tua, and he asked Burrow if he had ever had a concussion.

Burrow kind of chucked and was like, paraphrasing, "Is this a real question? Of course I have. I've had a few, and a couple of times when I was not able to remember the 2nd half of a game."

And this is a guy who is only in his 3rd year in the NFL.
I think he was talking about how he got *dinged* in high school or college.

But really, some dudes are getting their brains scrambled every game in the NFL.

I think the players have become too fast, too big, and the structure of play is now too refined to allow for the same equipment to be used.
Huge, fast players are flying around like missiles.

The NFL has tried hard, through rule changes, to make the game more safe, but it is still very dangerous.

I honestly think the only way to make things better would be to do away with the current helmets and face masks.
Use leather helmets and no face masks.
Let the players wear mouth guards.

The helmet (and face mask) is, imo, a weapon more-so than it is a safety feature.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Softball Bat wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:32 am The helmet (and face mask) is, imo, a weapon more-so than it is a safety feature.
Yep. Always has been, even when I was playing rocket football in the mid 90s. That was how you got hurt, you got blasted with an opponent's helmet.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Donnie Baker's Ghost
I swear to god . . .

Post by Donnie Baker's Ghost »

Good post, Softball Bat. I always liked watching NFL Films in the 80's and 90's when guys helmets were flying off. Nobody was getting carted off the field or at least not very often so something must have changed.

I think you're right about football speeding up considerably. Offensive players are so quick in the modern era that defenses have to hit hard when they can. If you don't come in full speed on defense, a shifty 145lb kid who probably has the global high score in Dance Dance Revolution is going to spin and side step around your old slow ass. There are more hits leading with the helmet and I see your point about it becoming a weapon which is undoubtedly true some of the time but maybe it's because you absolutely must keep your eyes on the target and stay centered. If you lead with the shoulder, Dance Dance Williams might just leap sideways away from your weak side and get 3 more yards.
Shut up, Randy!
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Now the officials over-compensate and *DICK* the Atlanta Falcons with a bullshit "roughing the passer" call.

That's turrible

- Charles Barkley
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

And another one...

Donnie Baker's Ghost
I swear to god . . .

Post by Donnie Baker's Ghost »

Tackling is illegal. To keep everyone safe they should wear little flags on everyone's hips and when the flag gets pulled off everyone stops. During time outs the players get Capri Sun and orange slices. The moms can take turns bringing snacks.
Shut up, Randy!
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Yeah, if a defensive player can't make that play on Brady, or the Play on Carr, then he just simply can't play football.

This is kind of a big problem.
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

The shitty refs had no problem keeping the flags in
their pockets on the Mahome sack.

Que to the 2:45 mark.

Refs better be damn happy the Chiefs won.
Someone may have literally died otherwise.
I have never heard a crowd so pissed. Never.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Yeah, Mahomes was "slung down" probably more "violently" than Brady was.

I mean, neither play is a penalty, imo.

As everyone is screaming now, this rule needs to be fixed and/or clarified.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

The NFL doubles down on the Chris Jones penalty, claiming it was called correctly.

https://theathletic.com/3686321/2022/10 ... ll-chiefs/

Not shocking, seeing as the NFL also doubled down on the obvious tuck rule bullsheet 20+ years ago.

Possible steps the league could take to make things better.

1. Do nothing, and come out after the fact and claim that the zebras got it right.

2. Make such calls subject to replay overrule.

3. Change the rules quite drastically. The QB cannot be hit or tackled. If a defender gets two hands (at the same time) on a QB, the QB is ruled down.

4. Stop the special protection for QBs. They are not given special protection, but are instead treated exactly the same way any other carrier of the ball is treated.

Over the past 60 years the NFL has gradually changed into something players of the 1950s and '60s would not recognize.
3 yards and a cloud of dust is ancient history.
It is all about the passing game now -- and with QBs showing much more mobility and athleticism.

The league luvs this, of course, and has, year-by-year, sought to structure the rules so that passing is encouraged, and pass defenses are neutered.
The passing game is sexy and interesting.
It's all about the ratings, baby!

But what goes along with passing so often is the fact that QBs, generally smaller than most other players, are putting themselves in positions to get *DINGED* much more often than they did in the past.
And the defenders are much bigger, faster, and precise than in years past.

So the league has gradually put in rules to try to protect the golden boys from getting KO'd.
The QBs are now like glorified punters.
There are 21 players on the field and... one quarterback.

I say fvck that noise.

I would have 22 players on the field -- and if the QB wants to pass, guess what might happen?
He might get -----> TRUCKED!
Oh well.
Don't pass so much. Duh!

Put all of the players in leather helmets with no face masks and let's play some ball!
And for cripes sake, get rid of rid of ridiculous replay all-together.
It is the devil.

Won't go down that way, but as always, a man can dream!