Umpire question...

PING!

The Tourney has begun!

Moderators: Left Seater, Mr T

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Umpire question...

Post by Left Seater »

All of you baseball fans lay out your opinions on this one.

One out. Runner on second.

Long fly ball to deep right field. RF dives to make the catch and umpire between 2nd and 3rd immediately signals no catch. The runner who was off of second runs home. The batter stops at first base. The RF throws the ball into second base and the SS steps on the bag. The team in the field runs off thinking they had an inning ending double play.

As soon as the RF realizes the umpire has ruled no catch he starts to go nuts. Dude jumps up and down and goes crazy saying it was a clean catch. Both managers come out of the dugout. The umpires huddle and discuss the play. After the huddle they determine that the catch was in fact made by the RF.

Now what do you do?

Where does the runner originally on 2nd base go? Was it a double play?

After some discussion I will tell you what the umpires did, and how it was wrong. Not sure there is a correct way to handle this situation.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Re: Umpire question...

Post by indyfrisco »

I would say that the ruling should be that it was a catch. The batter was out. The runner got to go back to second because it was a dead ball due to the umpries fuckin' it up.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

They called the batter out and allowed the run to score.

This was in the RICE v Texas game a few weeks ago. No way that can happen. Granted the call went in our favor, but no way was that correct.

Hard to say if it had an outcome on the game cause Texas wasn't the same after that call.

Here's hoping those umps never do another RICE game.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Yeah, but what SHOULD the call have been? As a college ref, I would think you would know at least one baseball umpire you could bounce the scenario off of. I'm pretty sure I was right, but would like confirmation.

P.S. Don't ask any ump from that game.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Indy,

That is the problem. The umps I know don't really know what to do. There is nothing in the rule book about this situation. They have talked about the approved rulings and one that talks about getting the call correct is the most important has been brought up the most. But in that same approved ruling it says that changing one call can create more problems such as changing a catch no catch call with runners on base.

After they have discussed for awhile most say the runner should return to second and the batter is out. One said let the play stand because the overturning official was behind the plate and had a crappy view at best.