holiday recipes

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: holiday recipes

Post by Mikey »

Never heard of cushaw. Some kind of squash?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Those recipes have a lot of sugar in them. Is this a dessert or just a sweet side dish?
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

Thanksgiving? I think you mean Halloween, because that's a crushed head in a Chinese lathe accident... :shock:
Before God was, I am
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Looks sort of familiar, but I've never seen one cooked. We get some strange stuff around here like jackfruit, dragon fruit (a lot grown in the area), plantains, tomatillos, etc.

I do most of the cooking for T Hanksgiving. Mrs. Mikey does the pies (pumpkin and mince) but still has pretty much the last word on the menu, and she's not into trying much new stuff, so it's mostly family tradition (cue Hank Jr here...).

Oven roasted turkey (always a fresh free-range turkey), cooked without any stuffing besides some herbs and lemons
Sourdough dressing, made from scratch and baked separately from the bird
Mashed potatoes and giblet gravy made from the drippings
Frozen peas (not frozen when we eat them), sometimes with pearl onions
Candied yams (not always)
Pear halves baked with honey or maple syrup, a maraschino cherry in the middle, and topped with corn flakes (wife's family tradition)
A large relish tray with assorted raw veggies and pickles, olives, pepperoncini, artichoke hearts, etc.

Nothing too challenging but it's still a lot of work especially if you're hosting a lot of guests, which we often do. I have no family in the area so it's usually a bunch of Mrs. Mikey's extended family. I sort of like being in the kitchen so I don't have to engage in too much conversation. But by the time dinner is ready I'm usually too drunk, tired, and full from eating stuff while I cook that I'm not all that hungry for dinner. Still tastes good though.
Last edited by Mikey on Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Nobody else in my FUCKING FAMILY cares for turkey very much, so I will make another pork roulade this year.

Butterfly a pork center loin and dry brine overnight. Mix some parsley, rosemary and rough minced garlic with evoo plus nice grind of peppah.

Then blanched spinach and lemon zest topped with shaved pecorino romano. I did top the spinach and cheese with a layer of mortadella because I read it somewhere, but I don't think it really added much. I won't do it this year. Maybe prosciutto...meh. I don't know.

Trussed, spitted and into the rotisserie

Did not suck. Will do the usual cream cheese mashed potatoes, (homemade) bacon, onion and rye bread stuffing and roasted brussels sprouts. Step daughter is in charge of dessert.

I definitely recommend using rye bread in whichever stuffing/dressing recipe you use. It pairs beautifully with roasted pork or turkey.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

That pork roll looks pretty fucking tasty. Ever have any problems with it getting died out? It’s pretty lean and I guess that could have that problem if you overcook it. I’ve cooked bone-in pork rib roasts for Christmas before. Usually doesn’t suck.

I think I could convince Mrs. Mikey to include some Brussels sprouts this year. Would go great with turkey and I’ve gotten that dish down really good the past couple of years.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

So, who's gonna start the post-Thanksgiving dump thread?
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Carson wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:29 am So, who's gonna start the post-Thanksgiving dump thread?
Lts Turd 2

He's the expert at doing shit posts.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Carson wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:29 am So, who's gonna start the post-Thanksgiving dump thread?
Leave it to some alt right douche to dump sophomoric crap in an otherwise ok thread.

Thanks dirtbag.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Seriously? The dark meat has a lot more flavor and doesn't get dried out as easily. I always roast an entire bird using a variation of Marcella Hazan's recipe for roasted chicken. First, brine it overnight in an ice chest, then take a couple or three lemons (we have an endless supply of Meyer lemons on two trees in our back yard), roll them around a little to break up insides, and stab them a dozen times or so with a large fork. Stuff them in the cavity with a mixture of herbs and you get the moistest, most flavorest turkey you ever ate. Gotta be a fresh free range bird, too. None of the pre-processed, salt water injected factory products.

One of my favorite things is re-heating the wings and picking the edible parts off. Breast meat is great for turkey leftover sandwiches, but you need about a half jar of mayo on each one to make them edible.
Last edited by Mikey on Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Sous vide would probably work, but then you miss the crispy skin that's also part of the whole attraction of a roasted bird. The challenge of a whole bird is to get the dark meat cooked through without overcooking the white meat. It's a delicate balance.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:22 am That pork roll looks pretty fucking tasty. Ever have any problems with it getting died out? It’s pretty lean and I guess that could have that problem if you overcook it.
Not gonna say I've never cooked a dry chicken breast or pork loin. That is really easy to do. Salt is your friend. Through the magic of chemistry, salt alters the proteins that comprise the cells of muscle fibers and loosens them up. This allows them to retain more moisture under heat. Not only does it season the meat, it gives you a wider margin for error.

That butterflied center loin was about 1.5 inches thick and was salted about 18 hours. That was enough time for the salt to get pretty deep. If you look at the sliced pic, you see it isn't leaking completely all over the board. It was plenty juicy. The rotisserie was a key part, as well. Indirect charcoal with pecan chunks.

Not too tough and damn good.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Salt is a great why for people who can’t cook to keep things from drying out. The rest of us use other forms of chemistry.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

I just did contribute. I told you you don’t have to use salt to keep moisture.

It kinda funny that you say all I do is name call but when I do anything else you either can’t understand it or just brush it off. Like the whole “what would it take for you to stop swapping recipes with naziis” thing. Never did get a straight answer from you Counselor.
Jsc810 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:56 pm mvscal has posted a nice pork recipe, and previously has demonstrated that he knows his way around a kitchen.
Superficially yes. Not sure why it impresses you.
Strike that, I know exactly why.

Also Et tu with the “ankle biting” BS? That how boards work. Someone posts, someone responds- sometimes. Just another piece of evidence that you don’t own your own mind and are more of an echo chamber, kinda like my buddy’s parrot.

And if you really want me to teach you how to make say Tête de Veau I can, but if you can’t follow other simple threads I’m not seeing a good outcome for you.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Jsc810 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:56 pm mvscal has posted a nice pork recipe, and previously has demonstrated that he knows his way around a kitchen.

Perhaps you have as well, and I'm not remembering it at the moment.

In any event, if you have anything to contribute to this food thread besides ankle biting, feel free to share.
I'm sure queerland is an excellent cook.

Total zero add fuckwit.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

There you go Chip. There’s your hero.
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Kierland wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:06 pmTête de Veau
Pass, and I don't give a fuck if y'all say its good or not.
I'm not eating the head, the asshole, the intestines or
any organs. Unless they are in a bologna or a hot dog.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Dude Sweetbeads are tasty morsels. And lengua tacos are the best. And on and on.

You’re missing out.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

kcdave wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:42 pm
Kierland wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:06 pmTête de Veau
Pass, and I don't give a fuck if y'all say its good or not.
I'm not eating the head, the asshole, the intestines or
any organs. Unless they are in a bologna or a hot dog.
Seriously is that what he came back with? That is something he googled. I seriously doubt that is something he has ever actually eaten and know for certain that he has never prepared or even seen it prepared for himself.

Zero add, leg humping dipshit. Total loser. Don't hold your breath waiting for his his Tête de Veau PET or anything else.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Yeah I’ve never been to Lyon and my cousin isn’t a chef in London, but you keep over salting every meat you see you flyover hack.
Donnie Baker's Ghost
I swear to god . . .

Post by Donnie Baker's Ghost »

I can make squirrel on a stick.
Shut up, Randy!
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Nothing with Jimmy Dean sausage in it is good. Good ingredients make a meal.
Donnie Baker's Ghost
I swear to god . . .

Post by Donnie Baker's Ghost »

2 cans (8 oz) refrigerated Pillsbury™ Original Crescent Rolls (8 Count) or 2 cans (8 oz) refrigerated Pillsbury™ Original Crescent Dough Sheet
1 lb spicy or mild bulk pork sausage
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
Pillsbury dough and cheese is basically the pinnacle of southern cuisine. A pan of grease like this and a watermelon covered in flies and you have yourself a nice sit down meal.
Shut up, Randy!
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Big fan of prosciutto and just about anything.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Brussels sprouts and sourdough bread dressing ready to go into the oven as soon as the turkey comes out. They had these big trays of chanterelle mushrooms at Costco for less than $15.00 last weekend so they’re sort of being featured in the dressing.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Brussel sports are communist
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Daughter, son and daughter in law were supposed to come over from their shithole waste of money crappy little San Diego rentals for turkey. Daughter was coming down with something yesterday and texted me this morning that she was too fucked up to come over. Son and DIL were recovering from something yesterday and were going to come over but he took a COVID test and came out positive. So…I had a 17 lb turkey and enough other stuff to feed five with leftover, but Mrs Mikey and I were the only ones that showed up. Barely even made a dent in the bird.

Dressing and Brussels sprouts

The plate, including sprouts, peas, mashed potatoes, turkey, dressing, with gravy. Not shown - the raw vegetable plate and jiggly cranberry stuff on the side.

Taking a nap before we get into the pies.

I think we will be making a charity run tomorrow to deliver some large care packages of leftovers to some sick millennials.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Looks good Mikey, nice job
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.