You mean catchers CAN'T block the plate?

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Kierland

Re: You mean catchers CAN'T block the plate?

Post by Kierland »

My whole point has always been that it isn’t a problem and if it actually was you would have noticed it in the almost decade it’s been going on, but since you don’t know how to read or think… here we are.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

smackaholic wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:29 am
Diego in Seattle wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:28 pm
Softball Bat wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:13 am
Sort of.

On the other hand, the catcher's eyes are concentrating on catching a ball, while the runner can line the catcher up and unload on him like a missile.
And now that we know more about CTE injuries most sports are trying to minimize collisions.
I've given up on any hopes of a debate about the actual rule from the midget.

You got anything other than pointing out that CTE is a bad thing?

Seems like a pretty simple problem with a simple fix. That fix is to make it illegal for the runner to go in, chest high, shoulder first. The plate. last time I checked, is on the ground. This is why sliding is a thing. It is very easy to tell what the runner's intent is.
I'll probably have to take a shower after saying this, but I have to agree with what you wrote here.

But let's explore this a little more. Will there be rules as to when a catcher can cover home plate? Does this then mean that the runner has to slide at home every time, or does there have to be a coach at home to signal the runner whether to slide or not? It's (obviously) very rare, but how does a player know on a solo, in-the-park dinger whether or not to slide if the catcher is in the vicinity?
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I could see a rule preventing the catcher from coming up the line and far enough to the outside of the base path that the runner would have to run too wide to still touch the plate.

The trouble is, it’s still legal for the runner to deliberately steamroll the catcher AND it specifically states that once the catch gets the ball he can block the plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Diego in Seattle wrote:
smackaholic wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:29 am
Diego in Seattle wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:28 pm And now that we know more about CTE injuries most sports are trying to minimize collisions.
I've given up on any hopes of a debate about the actual rule from the midget.

You got anything other than pointing out that CTE is a bad thing?

Seems like a pretty simple problem with a simple fix. That fix is to make it illegal for the runner to go in, chest high, shoulder first. The plate. last time I checked, is on the ground. This is why sliding is a thing. It is very easy to tell what the runner's intent is.
I'll probably have to take a shower after saying this, but I have to agree with what you wrote here.

But let's explore this a little more. Will there be rules as to when a catcher can cover home plate? Does this then mean that the runner has to slide at home every time, or does there have to be a coach at home to signal the runner whether to slide or not? It's (obviously) very rare, but how does a player know on a solo, in-the-park dinger whether or not to slide if the catcher is in the vicinity?
I think you’re complicating it too much.

The rule should be simple.

If the runner goes in high with the intent to bash the catcher, he’s out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.