Best Ever - Gone

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Best Ever - Gone

Post by Smackie Chan »

Vin Scully - best baseball announcer ever, and maybe the best in all sports.
"I see everything twice!"
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Best Ever - Gone

Post by Mikey »

Smackie Chan wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:47 am Vin Scully - best baseball announcer ever, and maybe the best in all sports.
Even as a long time Dodger hater I could always recognize that Vin was in a class of one.
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

I honestly thought he was somewhat robotic in the Ed Sullivan style, and lacked any real wit and humor, unlike Miller and Fleming. But I'm amazed that he really was there all that time. And I can't recommend enough the wonderful read of The Boys Of Summer by Roger Khan, which of course includes the young Scully back with the Brooklyn Dodgers.

But most of all we should acknowledge that if we look at the basic facial structure--the jaw, the cheeks and the eyes--we see a basic twin brother of Donald J Trump...Or What... :shock:
Before God was, I am
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Smackie Chan wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:47 am Best Ever - Gone
Wait, wut. I'm still here.

In all honesty, I knew something was up when I heard about an upcoming tribute to Vin Scully on NPR this AM. What a bummer.

1. Vin Scully
1a. Dick Enberg
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

“In a year that has been so improbable the inevitable has happened.”
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:21 pm
Smackie Chan wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:47 am Best Ever - Gone
1. Vin Scully
1a. Dick Enberg
SoCals were definitely spoiled when it came to play-by-play announcers for major sports during the ‘60s-70s. Enberg was the voice of the Angels, Rams, & UCLA basketball, while Chick Hearn, who coined the term slam dunk, was the Lakers’ announcer. And while I was not much into hockey, Bob Miller is considered among the best ever. It was fun to be a sports fan with a transistor radio back then.

Maybe it was this way in other ballparks, too, but thousands of fans brought radios to Dodger Stadium to hear Vin while they were watching the game. His voice was heard throughout the stadium.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Always loved listening to Chick Hearn.

Back in “the day,” fans at Candlestick would have their transistor radios tuned to KSFO listening to Russ Hodges and Lon Simmons. Bill King, the old voice of the Warriors, was pretty awesome too.

One thing about today’s baseball parks is a sort of sensory overload with all the big screens showing highlights, stats, etc., flashing lights, loud music and exhortations to “make some noise.” Back then there were basically an organ and the stadium announcer. Not much mental space anymore to tune into the play-by-play. Do any ball clubs even have an announcer anymore?
Arthur Dent
Elwood

Post by Arthur Dent »

Mikey wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:44 pm Always loved listening to Chick Hearn.

Back in “the day,” fans at Candlestick would have their transistor radios tuned to KSFO listening to Russ Hodges and Lon Simmons. Bill King, the old voice of the Warriors, was pretty awesome too.

One thing about today’s baseball parks is a sort of sensory overload with all the big screens showing highlights, stats, etc., flashing lights, loud music and exhortations to “make some noise.” Back then there were basically an organ and the stadium announcer. Not much mental space anymore to tune into the play-by-play. Do any ball clubs even have an announcer anymore?
Minor league stadium atmosphere is horrible. They seem to think there has to be something going on every second. It would be nice to simply be able to watch the damn game.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Years ago in my youth, The Syracuse Chiefs AAA International League games were broadcast on a low wattage AM station with a play by play guy, Red Barber. He even did away games via wire with canned crowd noise in the background. When a big play happened he'd turn up the volume on the "crowd". Those were the days. On TV we had Dizzy Dean and PeeWee Reese doing the Saturday game of the week. Classic. When the game was slow, ol Dizzy would break out in song.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Skully’s call of Gibson’s walk-off HR in Game 1 of the ‘88 World Series is still my favorite call to this day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

I don't think you're getting it... :)

Vin was in some way a crazily close cousin of #45...

And his similarly blathering bro...

So what. you're going to try and ignore it?... :wink:
Before God was, I am
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Scully's call of the last inning of Koufax' perfect game in 1965.

The radio broadcaster paints a picture for the listener.
It is an art.

Scully was masterful!
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

Slop Fart, you are such a fucking whore. just sayin'.. :wink:
Before God was, I am
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Vin Scully calls the epic Mookie Wilson at bat/Bill Buckner error in the 1986 World Series.

LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

What's amazing about Buckner's Boner is that Mookie was super fast and the chopper was slow and awkward--which is why a borderline HOFer like Buckner could miss it. But even if he had gloved it he was on his heels fifteen feet back and would have had to race Mookie to the bag--Stanley was a truck and wasn't anywhere near ready to take the toss from Buckner. Mookie could well have been safe. :doh:
Before God was, I am
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

LTS TRN 2 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:18 pm What's amazing about Buckner's Boner is that Mookie was super fast and the chopper was slow and awkward--which is why a borderline HOFer like Buckner could miss it. But even if he had gloved it he was on his heels fifteen feet back and would have had to race Mookie to the bag--Stanley was a truck and wasn't anywhere near ready to take the toss from Buckner. Mookie could well have been safe. :doh:
I think this is true, however the error allowed Ray Knight to score.

If Mookie had just beaten the dribbler out, it would have been runners at 1st and 3rd with 2 outs.

Boston still would have had a chance to get out of the inning.
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

NO

There were two outs when Mookie came up. Once again you're revealing yourself as some sort of unspeakable fraud. Flat earth? The bible? What's next? 19 Muzzies with box cutters taking down NYC? :hfal:
Before God was, I am
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

LTS wrote:NO

There were two outs when Mookie came up.
Have you and Aaron Rodgers been hanging out?

Yes, there were two outs.
If Mookie had merely beaten the dribbler out, Knight would not have scored from 2nd base. He would have just made it to 3rd base.
It would have left runners on 1st and 3rd with two outs.
Boston would have had a chance to get out of the inning.

The Buckner error allowed Knight to score the winning run. Game over.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Softball Bat wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:56 am

He’s a dumbshit with no coherent or legitimate takes. But (he thinks) he makes up for it with good grammar.
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

Softball Bat wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:56 am

Yes, there were two outs.
If Mookie had merely beaten the dribbler out, Knight would not have scored from 2nd base. He would have just made it to 3rd base.
It would have left runners on 1st and 3rd with two outs.
Boston would have had a chance to get out of the inning.

The Buckner error allowed Knight to score the winning run. Game over.
Fair enough. And considering the tying run had just come in on the wild pitch, it was a whacky inning indeed.
Before God was, I am
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Softball Bat wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:29 am Scully's call of the last inning of Koufax' perfect game in 1965...The radio broadcaster paints a picture for the listener.
It is an art.

Scully was masterful!
Yes, he was. But Koufax's perfecto was artful on a few levels. As Scully mentioned during the call, Sandy struck out the last six batters he faced and ended the game with 14 Ks. He threw 113 pitches, 79 for strikes. The Dodgers only got one hit in the game, a 5th-inning double by Sweet Lou Johnson (who I got to meet once), and their only run was unearned, with Bob Hendley pitching a complete game in the loss. Other than the Harvey Haddix game, not many pitchers' duels like that one.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Smackie Chan wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:56 pm
Softball Bat wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:29 am Scully's call of the last inning of Koufax' perfect game in 1965...The radio broadcaster paints a picture for the listener.
It is an art.

Scully was masterful!
Yes, he was. But Koufax's perfecto was artful on a few levels. As Scully mentioned during the call, Sandy struck out the last six batters he faced and ended the game with 14 Ks. He threw 113 pitches, 79 for strikes. The Dodgers only got one hit in the game, a 5th-inning double by Sweet Lou Johnson (who I got to meet once), and their only run was unearned, with Bob Hendley pitching a complete game in the loss. Other than the Harvey Haddix game, not many pitchers' duels like that one.
Just one that I can think of, though it didn't involve a perfect game.

On July 2, 1963, Juan Marichal pitched a 16-inning shutout against the Milwaukee Braves, outdueling Warren Spahn, who pitched 151/3 scoreless innings before Willie Mays won it 1-0 with a home run. Marichal threw 227 pitches; Spahn threw 201.

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/02/spor ... nohit.html

Marichal was 25 years old at the time. Spahn was 42 :shock:
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

I’m in the clear with not many. That would be one.