Recommended Viewing

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Recommended Viewing

Post by Mikey »

Summer of Soul (...Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised)

July 2 on Hulu.

If you have any appreciation for music from the late 60s / early 70s you will be blown away by this.
It happened a couple of months before "Woodstock" but the video was buried for 50 years.

Even if you know nothing about the music, you might still be blown away...
Last edited by Mikey on Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mikey

Re: Recommended Viewing

Post by Mikey »

Stevie Wonder at 19 playing a drum solo.
BB King before he was fat.
Gladys Knight & the Pips. Heard it Through the Grapevine. Fuck yeah.
Sly and the Family Stone...just fucking killing it.
David Ruffin...My Girl
etc.
etc.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

It’s not a “hate whitey” thing.

If you can’t handle a little historical background about what was happening at the time, that led to them putting this on, then by all means skip it.

God and gOD I feel sorry for you snowflakes who can’t bear to have your pre-conceived assumptions challenged without wetting your fucking underalls. Pathetic.

CRT!! CRT!! CRT!!
:meds:
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

All I know is that the performances are incredible. I just hope they make the rest of the 40 hours of recorded performance available at some point.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Papa Willie wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:44 am I get tired of fucking shit that tries to make me feel guilty for being white, Mikey. It’s not black people. It’s white fucking liberals that are so desperately trying to keep blacks voting for Democrats. 3/4 of all media is geared that way now.

I know you’ve never looked at it that way.
You are an incredibly whiny bitch. I know you've always been one, but you have been really acting out lately. What's your excuse? Your cult leader not being in charge anymore?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:25 pm
Papa Willie wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:44 am I get tired of fucking shit that tries to make me feel guilty for being white, Mikey. It’s not black people. It’s white fucking liberals that are so desperately trying to keep blacks voting for Democrats. 3/4 of all media is geared that way now.

I know you’ve never looked at it that way.
You are an incredibly whiny bitch. I know you've always been one, but you have been really acting out lately. What's your excuse? Your cult leader not being in charge anymore?
You have to understand that this kind of stuff is really scary for folks like Meltspray.

If he had any sack left at all he would probably watch the film before attempting to pass judgement. Unfortunately there apparently is no remaining sack.

Funny thing is...you're not going to see any "white fucking liberals" in this film. Except (Republican) former Mayor John Lindsay who played a big role in organizing the show. But that shouldn't deter the whiny meltdown.
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

Fade away kid...
Go Bucs, Gators
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Mikey wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:00 pm Summer of Soul (...Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised)

July 2 on Hulu.

If you have any appreciation for music from the late 60s / early 70s you will be blown away by this.
It happened a couple of months before "Woodstock" but the video was buried for 50 years.

Buried by whom, for whom? since it wasn't black folk...

There's a meta narrative which needs its own exploration and deconstruction.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:20 pmBuried by whom, for whom? since it wasn't black folk...

It was never buried.
"I see everything twice!"
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Smackie Chan wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:23 pm
Innocent Bystander wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:20 pmBuried by whom, for whom? since it wasn't black folk...

It was never buried.
There are six videos linked in that article: ALL of them currently have copyright strikes and are no longer available for US viewing. The main culprit appears to be Disney.

No, the performances were never buried, but the only people who talked about them were greatest generation and boomer blacks. That's what I mean by not being buried by blacks. Maybe
?uestlove ultimately meant it in that way, too... black memories are not respected, unless they fit someone's narrative. Or maybe not.

Anyway, Disney did what it had to do after word got out So it goes.