What would happen if you tried to sail a cargo ship through the Suez Canal sideways?

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

What would happen if you tried to sail a cargo ship through the Suez Canal sideways?

Post by FiatLux »

This

FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Re: What would happen if you tried to sail a cargo ship through the Suez Canal sideways?

Post by FiatLux »

And it would result in a complete shutdown of international shipping like this...

Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Re: What would happen if you tried to sail a cargo ship through the Suez Canal sideways?

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Notice the country on the lower side of the eastern entrance...

It must be Christmas time for the pirates....
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

The day "fucked sideways" became a reality.
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

Post by Innocent Bystander »

FiatLux wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:05 pm Did the captain do it on purpose?

A Cargo Ship Drew a Giant Dick Pic in the Ocean Then Got Stuck in the Suez Canal

Yes, the Captain did it on purpose.

It was a message for someone, like the Zodiac killer's written taunts. The ship itself is a distraction.

What is that ship distracting us from?
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

No timetable given for extricating the vessel.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/3/2 ... suez-canal

Stuck as hell!

Stuck, stuck, stuck...

Well I don't know why I came here tonight.
I've got the feeling that something ain't right...
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

This ship is blocking all vessels from passing?

I hearby christian this ship the "U.S.S. Mitch McConnell."
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Diego wrote:I hearby christian

I hearby christian

What did the deaf man say after a visit from the faith healer?
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

Poptart wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:46 am No timetable given for extricating the vessel.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/3/2 ... suez-canal

What would be the boat equivalent or swerving your car to avoid a squirrel?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Watched a video where some dude broke down what happened.

Surprised it doesn't happen more often. These cargo ships are so big and stack conex boxws so high, they make pretty damn good sails.

Time to start building these things with stronger bow thrusters, maybe more of a keel so they track better.

Might also be a good idea to line the sides, so that when a ship does this, it just rubs along the side rather than get stuffed into the soft sand bank.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Might also be a good idea to widen it to the point that it is wider than the largest ship is long. That way it would just swing around.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:27 am These cargo ships are so big and stack conex boxws so high, they make pretty damn good sails.
Uhm... inertia and stuff? A 500 million pound mass is just whipping all over the place.
maybe more of a keel so they track better.
Wow. I'll go with three places -- the Persian Gulf, the Hudson River, and my local gig, the Columbia. These are all 40 feet or less, and it's a problem maintaining that depth. In the Columbia, on a neap tide, the keel is 3 feet from the bottom... pretty sure that's how the Hudson rolls.

In short -- dumb take.
Might also be a good idea to line the sides, so that when a ship does this, it just rubs along the side rather than get stuffed into the soft sand bank.
The last two tidbits from you were pretty bad. I don't even know how to respond to this one.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Dinsdale wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:15 am
smackaholic wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:27 am These cargo ships are so big and stack conex boxws so high, they make pretty damn good sails.
Uhm... inertia and stuff? A 500 million pound mass is just whipping all over the place.
maybe more of a keel so they track better.
Wow. I'll go with three places -- the Persian Gulf, the Hudson River, and my local gig, the Columbia. These are all 40 feet or less, and it's a problem maintaining that depth. In the Columbia, on a neap tide, the keel is 3 feet from the bottom... pretty sure that's how the Hudson rolls.

In short -- dumb take.
The last two tidbits from you were pretty bad. I don't even know how to respond to this one.
Are you saying that strong winds weren't a factor? Of course they were.

Regarding keels, they are the things that keep a ship underway, tracking straight. One solution is more keels. Some sail boats use 2 and even 3. Although in those cases it is primarily to make a boat that will stay upright when grounded in places that have huge tide swings. Another Idea could be some sort of swing keel system. But that would be big $$$$$ and take away from capacity.

In the end, I think the solution is pretty simple. You need to make the fukking thing wider than the ships are long.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

smackaholic wrote:In the end, I think the solution is pretty simple. You need to make the fukking thing wider than the ships are long.
It reminded me of bumper cars.

You know, when the lone 'tard somehow gets his rig wedged in between a couple other cars and a wall -- and he can't move. Just glued there.

Dude sits there with a dumb look on his face for the entire ride, twisting the steering wheel back-and-forth and nothing happens.

The buzzer goes off, 'tard flops out of his car and slinks away.

pwnt!
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:46 pm
In the end, I think the solution is pretty simple. You need to make the fukking thing wider than the ships are long.
Some strange logic here.

The canal was there first. Maybe they should make the ships small enough to travel safely through the canal. That might be easier than digging what would essentially be a new parallel canal while keeping the existing one operating. Do you have any idea of what the scale of such a project would be?

Don't you think that the size of the smallest canal or river they might have to traverse is already a limiting factor (maybe the main limiting factor) on the size of the vessels they're building? Make the canal bigger and they'll just make the ships bigger, unless you put a limit on what's allowed to pass through.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

I see all those containers and imagine all the crap that is inside on its way to the western world. One time a container of rubber ducks got loose and broke open. They were later found in places all over the world. Gave oceanographers a good look at how world wide currents flow.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."