Where's the book thread?

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

Where's the book thread?

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Y'all won't reinstate TBP, so who will give us audiobook recommendations this year?
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Re: Where's the book thread?

Post by Left Seater »

I am currently reading Japan 1941. It is giving the view of Japan’s leaders prior to attacking Pearl Harbor.

Happy to drop a few thoughts when I am done.

I am happy to take a few others book recommendations. If they interest me I will likely read them.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

Thanks, LS. Always good to get out of comfort zone.

Audio version:
Pros: builds suspense. Good for ears.
Cons: apologist. Don't care before listening, will see after.

Will listen this weekend.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:16 pmAudio version
Try this - click the "Sample" button under the photo of the book, and see if you recognize the narrator.
"I see everything twice!"
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Left Seater wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:48 pm I am currently reading Japan 1941. It is giving the view of Japan’s leaders prior to attacking Pearl Harbor.

Happy to drop a few thoughts when I am done.

I am happy to take a few others book recommendations. If they interest me I will likely read them.
They were imperialist fucks, you must love them, probably more than you love your own country.
dan's college room mate
Crack Whore

Post by dan's college room mate »

Hey we got our imperialist freak on in the 19th century.

Haven’t done a bit since, despite ample opportunity.

But stand by and watch the chinks. They’re gonna make imperialism great again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Great job 88nazis.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I've never used audio books and never will (probably). I do read though. The brain gets a lot more from reading than it does from listening, though I can understand folks who have long driving trips or whatever where they can't read. But listening seems like the lazy way if the alternative is to sit down and read a book. OK I do eBooks on my Kindle, but at least that's still reading.

Right now, reading Mr Mercedes, by Stephen King. Yeah I'm pretty much into escapist fiction stuff. Prolly because I spend most of my days reading non-fiction (arguably) at work.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

I have a hard time reading book not grounded in possible reality. So I do mostly crime and classics.
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

dan's college room mate wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:14 pm Hey we got our imperialist freak on in the 19th century.

Haven’t done a bit since, despite ample opportunity.
Dude, that's not close to being true. Don't lie to yourself or to us.
But stand by and watch the chinks. They’re gonna make imperialism great again.
The chinks don't need a ground war, just propaganda and dissolution from the inside. They will have help, by our own 'greatest ally'.
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

Mikey wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:53 am I've never used audio books and never will (probably). I do read though. The brain gets a lot more from reading than it does from listening, though I can understand folks who have long driving trips or whatever where they can't read. But listening seems like the lazy way if the alternative is to sit down and read a book. OK I do eBooks on my Kindle, but at least that's still reading.

Right now, reading Mr Mercedes, by Stephen King. Yeah I'm pretty much into escapist fiction stuff. Prolly because I spend most of my days reading non-fiction (arguably) at work.
Mr. Mercedes' synopsis has a lot of suicide and guilt. Funny, with the meaning of the word 'mercedes' attached ...

I don't have time to sit down and read. But I need to do more than nothing at all. I've resisted audiobooks for 20 years. I'm done fighting. Besides, for now it's nice to hear something besides my own internal voice.

LS: I'm not deep into it, but already I feel pity for the Japanese. I empathize with why their leaders were desperate enough to do it, and I empathize with a culture fighting a war of relevance more than a war of simple imperialism. Sometimes a people do not want truth, they want the world as it was without sacrificing the perks of the world as it is.

Everyone knew what was really going on, but it was social suicide to speak up. Reminds me of the Chinese videos this time last year from people who couldn't express what was going on without paying a civic price. So instead of directing anger at their leaders, they needed a scapegoat and a victory. Tada: attacking the colonizing West, as represented by the swollen bully doughboy, the US.

I'm biased, there are a lot of lessons for the US, so far ... but that's my bias. Need to let it play more.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Interesting that Japan and Germany were both afraid to speak up at the same time.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Fuck off traitor.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Currently reading I Kings.
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is