Later, Dick

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Later, Dick

Post by Smackie Chan »

Should be in the HoF.

Harmon Killebrew hit the highest home run I ever saw in person, clearing the left field foul pole in Anaheim, but Dick Allen hit a ball harder than anyone I ever saw play. I was sitting behind home plate at a game at the "Big A" when the ChiSox were in town, and Allen hit one on the screws, lining it over the pitcher's head. The ball stayed on a line until it cleared second base, then started to rise. It left the park faster than any ball I've ever seen. Dude was freakishly strong. Shame he was never inducted, mostly because he was considered a "bad guy."
Last edited by Smackie Chan on Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I see everything twice!"
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Re: Later, Dick

Post by Softball Bat »

He was one of the MLB bad-asses when I was growing up.

I remember me and my buddies laffing because dude insisted on being called... Dick.

:)

RIP, Richie Allen!
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Incredible photo. A Pale Hose legend

kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Smackie Chan wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:58 am Should be in the HoF.

Harmon Killebrew hit the highest home run I ever saw in person, clearing the left field foul pole in Anaheim, but Dick Allen hit a ball harder than anyone I ever saw play. I was sitting behind home plate at a game at the "Big A" when the ChiSox were in town, and Allen hit one on the screws, lining it over the pitcher's head. The ball stayed on a line until it cleared second base, then started to rise. It left the park faster than any ball I've ever seen. Dude was freakishly strong. Shame he was never inducted, mostly because he was considered a "bad guy."
He was one of the greats when I was growing up listening to all of the Giants games (Russ Hodges and Lon Simmons) on my Heathkit AM radio and devouring all the box scores every morning in the Chronicle's green sports page.

I don't think I ever saw (or noticed) a baseball hit like that. Back in my younger, stronger days when I played a lot of golf I hit many (though not all, for sure) drives that took off like that. The perfect sweet spot connection would take off on a straight line an then start rising. A thing of beauty.
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

Awesome player. One of my favorites right behind Rod Carew.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

FiatLux wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:53 pm Awesome player. One of my favorites right behind Rod Carew.
Thanks for leaving me out. I needed that like I needed a hole in my head.

Sincerely,
Lyman Bostock
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

FiatLux wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:53 pmRod Carew
Went to Camera Day at the Big A and had my pic taken with him when he was with the Twins. I musta been about about 9 or 10. Pretty cool day.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Was the quintessential contact hitter of that generation.

Lifetime .328 hitter.
Flirted with a .400 season in 1977.

Stud.
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

When mamamustanger was an RN, she treated Carew's daughter, who died of leukemia. Said Carew was a gentleman and a good guy. She also delivered one of Tim Salmon's kids. Used to treat several Angels players.