EVH, runnin’ with the devil.

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

EVH, runnin’ with the devil.

Post by smackaholic »

RIP

Not surprised. Dude had serious substance abuse issues.

But he did bang Valerie Bertinneli for a while in the 80s, so rack him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Re: EVH, runnin’ with the devil.

Post by Wolfman »

RIP. Decent guitar technician.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

schmick wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:18 pm So what you're sayin' is Valerie Bertanelli is available?
Bert & Ernie would be more your speed.
Slap
Elwood

Post by Slap »

smackaholic wrote:But he did bang Valerie Bertinneli
I spilled some loads to her.
smackaholic wrote:I would touch someone's dick, hell, I'd fukking blow him
Bill in Houston
Eternal Scobode

Post by Bill in Houston »

Papa Willie wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:52 pm From 1978 through now, he influenced every person that picked up a guitar in SOME way. You can take that to the bank.
That seems like quite an exaggeration.

Care to provide any details as to what he did, how he played that made him so influential?
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

1st "real" rock concert Aug '78. VH opened for Ted Nugent. Had never heard of them before that, but they blew Nugent away.

Never a huge fan, but enjoyed their music for what it was & thought Eddie was a pretty awesome guitarist.
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Papa Willie wrote:Pretty sure cancer got him.

RIP. One of the most innovative guitarists that has ever lived...
That's what a diet of jack n coke and cigarettes will do.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

Bill in Houston wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:18 am
Papa Willie wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:52 pm From 1978 through now, he influenced every person that picked up a guitar in SOME way. You can take that to the bank.
That seems like quite an exaggeration.

Care to provide any details as to what he did, how he played that made him so influential?
Saw this from Warren Haynes....
RIP Eddie Van Halen
There are a handful of people with any musical instrument that we can credit with actually changing the course of the instrument. Obviously Charlie Parker changed the alto saxophone. Coltrane changed the tenor saxophone. Jaco Pastorius changed the electric bass. John Bonham changed the world of rock drumming. I could go on but you get the point. It’s an amazing feat for any artist to have that kind of impact and influence on any instrument…..But let’s talk about the electric guitar. The advent of the electric guitar changed music, arguably, more than the the advent of any other instrument. The endless combinations of sounds and techniques allowed everyone to seek their own voice which opened up a whole new world of musical expression and possibilities. Maybe I’m biased but in my opinion the electric guitar saved modern music. So when we’re talking about a small pantheon of people who changed the electric guitar that’s a major feat. Monumental!

I still remember the first time I heard Van Halen. It was at a party in Asheville, my hometown. The first VH album had just come out and people were raving about the music and about Eddie’s guitar playing in particular. Never ready to add someone new to my list of who I consider to be great guitarists, I was a bit resistant but ready to give it a chance. At first listen, I can admit now, I was quite impressed but still not ready to give in to the hype. It was obvious that what he was doing was exceptional but he was using a lot of distortion so I wasn’t convinced that he was really pulling it off in a technical sense…. until I heard Eruption. Pretty damn precise! That’s when it hit me. It was a new day in Rock ’n’ Roll. It was a new day in electric guitar playing. Then later when I heard Spanish Fly (from VH2) GOD DAMN!!! He can play that shit on acoustic guitar.

Fast forward. No matter what your tastes, especially if you’re of a certain age, maybe VH’s music was not your thing but you had to admit it was the real deal! I personally never looked at EVH as being a major influence on my own playing as my style was fairly developed by the time I discovered his music but I was always a big fan of his virtuosity. Also I should point out that, as is the case with the emergence of any highly innovative, groundbreaking new music or new musician, it would soon follow that the airwaves would become inundated with a gazillion copycats, most of which paled in comparison to the trendsetter. This has happened in virtually every moment in history where someone changed the course of a genre or where someone changed the course of an instrument. It has also happened historically with songwriting. When someone comes along with a fresh innovative approach to writing songs suddenly copycats appear out of the woodwork. That’s the way it was with Van Halen, both with Eddie’s playing and with the music itself. This inundation left a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of avid music fans, myself included, but again Eddie was the catharsis for change- not to be blamed for what followed- and VH was the real deal.

I only got to see Van Halen, the band, perform twice- once in the early 80’s in Asheville and once a few years ago when they reformed the original band. All four members of Gov’t Mule happened to be in LA at the time and we were invited to the Forum to see what they called a “friends and family” dress rehearsal show. Being there watching Van Halen in a 20,000 seat arena with only 700 lucky attendees was quite an experience. Eddie played brilliantly. The whole band sounded great, as they did when I first saw them several decades earlier. It was something I'll always remember.

I never knew Eddie- never had the opportunity to meet him- but as someone who has studied music since I first got the “bug” as a kid I am compelled to say that the loss of Eddie Van Halen today is monumental! The list of those who changed the trajectory of the electric guitar is a short one and many arguments can be made that I am leaving some out (which I don’t doubt) but in that regard Eddie is joined by the likes of Charlie Christian, Les Paul, and Jimi Hendrix and very few others. Eddie changed the electric guitar. Eddie changed Rock ’n’ Roll. Rock ’n’ Roll changed the world. Any questions?- WH
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Saw him tuning his guitar and jamming all fucked up at the Ernie Ball factory back in the day In front of like 5 people in a tiny studio for maybe 20 mins.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Eat more orange dick you fat fuck
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

Rack the Jew boy...that made Ed money...DLR

Talking about Jew Boys...

What would merica be... without the Jews running the arts ?
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

Welcome to San Francisco....