So much for my hopes of any more Rush performances.

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

So much for my hopes of any more Rush performances.

Post by smackaholic »

mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Re: So much for my hopes of any more Rush performances.

Post by Derron »

I will just leave this here for yall's enjoyment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWRMOJQDiLU
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

I was never a fan, but he was a tremendous talent. Too bad it wasn't Phil Collins.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

schmick wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:54 am Never heard of em
Then you are bigger jerk off than you appear to be. I thought that was going to be hard to top, but you did it.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Papa Willie wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:11 pm I hate it for Geddy & Alex. They've been having to live with this over the last few years, and obviously they were sworn to secrecy - which they did well. I'm sure Neil told them he'd pound their faces in if they said anything!

Wow. My daughter is a Rush freak, and on vacation up in Quebec City right now. This'll crush her...
Really? Have to admit, everyone knew Neil had a nerve issue when he retired in 2015 but I remember thinking to myself "that was fast" today when I heard he died. Brain cancer will do that.

RIP Neil. Forever Between the Wheels and the Enemy Within.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

schmick wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:54 am Never heard of em
God I envy you. I've heard segments of two or three songs in my life.

I still keep heavy objects nearby like black pipe, a hammer etc. I can obliterate the source of the transmission and incapacitate the owner within two bars.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Papa Willie wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:42 am Yeah - you’d have to think it was probably starting to affect him back then - and probably was. However - for a guy getting into his 60’s, one could easily see why nerve damage, or just not being able to physically pull off 3 hour shows like that were totally believable. I can promise that 3 hour shows are harder on me now that I’m 55 than they were when I was 25-35! I remember thinking after I had first heard him, that he was probably kind of a laid back, finesse player that didn’t play too hard. Blew me away when I finally did see him, as he just beat the living shit out of the drums!

He was an absolute genius, too. Not only in his innovative playing, but in his lyrics. If you never have, watch any interview with him, and you’ll quickly know that his IQ was off the charts. Had a seriously positive attitude about pretty much everything...

The world sucks more without him... :(
Dude was a genius
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Neil Peart was so committed to his craft that in the early 90s he completely deconstructed his drumming technique and then built it back together again. If you watch his later videos you can see the change.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transc ... rummer.htm

"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

BSmack wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:19 pm Neil Peart was so committed to his craft that in the early 90s he completely deconstructed his drumming technique and then built it back together again. If you watch his later videos you can see the change.

Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

BSmack wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:19 pm Neil Peart was so committed to his craft that in the early 90s he completely deconstructed his drumming technique and then built it back together again. If you watch his later videos you can see the change.

I'll translate for those who don't speak 'Rush'. In plain English, Peart tried to learn a traditional grip.
You can't make it up :lol:
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

There was a lot more to it than that.

There was, of course, the switch to traditional grip, or at least an attempt to. I saw both the TFE and VT tours and he was still playing mostly matched. I don't think he ever did get to the point where he was confident enough in his TG playing.

The interview was much more about his achilles heel, his lack of feel. Drummer (what ever happened to that dude) pointed it out, 10-15 years ago. I had been a huge Peart fan for years and never noticed it until he pointed it out. It changes how I listen to drum playing. My first thought isn't how fast/smooth a drummer's fills are. It is does he swing.

Gruber did help him with it. He did get better and his "swing" improved, but he was still no John Bonham. Bonham, IMO is the gold standard for "feel" in rock drummers. I think he is also a good example of what Neil talks about when he says some drummers are naturals. Buddy Rich would be another. He was famous for not practicing AT ALL.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Papa Willie wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:56 amA good friend of mine roadied for the Dregs, Steve & Purple for quite a few years, and got to know Neil when Steve's band opened up for them back in '86.
Saw that tour in Rochester.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

smackaholic wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:07 pmBuddy Rich would be another. He was famous for not practicing AT ALL.
Probably why Gene Krupka and Joe Morello were better. :mrgreen:

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

"Better" is a hard term to quantify.

Krupa- a pioneer. Extremely musical, but he doesn't have Buddy's chops.

Nobody has Buddy's chops.

Morello-My personal favorite. Krupa's musicality and as close as any human has ever come to Buddy's chops. He is THE jazz drummer, IMO.

Buddy-World class asshole. Super-fukking human chops. Nobody drives a big band like Buddy.
The State
Ren Fairy

Post by The State »

Papa Willie wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:11 pm My daughter is a Rush freak, and on vacation up in Quebec City right now.

They let "land-whales" into Canada, now ?

I thought they checked those things at the border...

I guess it could have migrated from the swamps undetected. But how ?
EAP wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:39 am The STATE has all the answers
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Papa Willie wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:04 am RIch, Krupa & Morello were better than Peart. Hell - I would put Carl Palmer, Rod Morgenstein and Marco Minnemann ahead of Neil as far as being able to pull off more complex runs.

THAT being said, if you had to hear one bar of music played by any of the above drummers - Peart is going to be the only one even a lot of non-musical folks are going to recognize. As far as originality and having his own style, Neil pretty much ruled the roost.

Bonham was very recognizable, but a HUGE bit of that was how Page got him his sound when they were recording. Not knocking him at all, but that is fact...
Page was undoubtedly a recording genius. Dragging Bonham's kit into a stairwell was brilliant.....but, He didn't give Bonzo his sense of feel or groove.

I agree that Rich and Morello could pull off shit that Neil wouldn't even dream of trying. You don't get a left hand like those dudes if you spend your first 40 years playing exclusively matched.

Krupa didn't have their otherworldly chops, but he had that feel, that musicality, which Neil would have killed for. Neil could undoubtedly play the drum solo from Sing Sing Sing, but it wouldn't sound as good as Gene.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

To paraphrase:
My mind is not for rent.
To any god or government.
I’m always hopeful yet discontent.

Can YOU say the same?
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

smackaholic wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:39 pm
Krupa didn't have their otherworldly chops, but he had that feel, that musicality, which Neil would have killed for. Neil could undoubtedly play the drum solo from Sing Sing Sing, but it wouldn't sound as good as Gene.
I don’t believe in this concept, but apparently a lot of people do.

It reminds me of a M*A*S*H episode, Winchester is talking to a pianist who had a arm blown off and was reluctant to play pieces penned for one hand.

Major Charles Winchester: Wrong! Because the gift does not lie in your hands. I have hands, David. Hands that can make a scalpel sing. More than anything in my life I wanted to play, but I do not have the gift. I can play the notes, but I cannot make the music. You've performed Liszt, Rachmaninoff, Chopin. Even if you never do so again, you've already known a joy that I will never know as long as I live. Because the true gift is in your head and in your heart and in your soul. Now you can shut it off forever, or you can find new ways to share your gift with the world - through the baton, the classroom, or the pen. As to these works, they're for you, because you and the piano will always be as one.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

If you weren’t a
Fat
Yellow
Melting
Tard
You would know
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Kierland wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:30 pm
smackaholic wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:39 pm
I don’t believe in this concept, but apparently a lot of people do.

It reminds me of a M*A*S*H episode, Winchester is talking to a pianist who had a arm blown off and was reluctant to play pieces penned for one hand.

Major Charles Winchester: Wrong! Because the gift does not lie in your hands. I have hands, David. Hands that can make a scalpel sing. More than anything in my life I wanted to play, but I do not have the gift. I can play the notes, but I cannot make the music. You've performed Liszt, Rachmaninoff, Chopin. Even if you never do so again, you've already known a joy that I will never know as long as I live. Because the true gift is in your head and in your heart and in your soul. Now you can shut it off forever, or you can find new ways to share your gift with the world - through the baton, the classroom, or the pen. As to these works, they're for you, because you and the piano will always be as one.
You don't "believe" in the concept, because you are either ignorant or retarded. Or both.

I am not a musician, other than a few lessons as a kid and a few years in band. But I am a music fan and I have enough intelligence to listen to others who do know more than I. I listened to what drummer had to say about drummers and have benefited from it. I now have the knowledge to know what to listen for and it has improved the experience for me.

Maybe some day you'll learn how to "believe", but I doubt it.

If you would like examples of what Winchester was talking about, listen to Steve Gadd play. If doing so doesn't give you an appreciation for what "groove" is, you are hopeless. You should donate your hearing to someone that will use it.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Kierland wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:24 pm To paraphrase:
My mind is not for rent.
To any god or government.
I’m always hopeful yet discontent.

Can YOU say the same?
Funny that a leftist POS like you would quote from what I consider the Libertarian anthem.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

That’s because you are an idiot and think I’m a leftist, whatever that means.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

I can’t tell the difference between Neil and what you consider “better” drummers. If that make me a POS, so be it.