Cutting the cord

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Cutting the cord

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

Anyone here drop their cable? I need some input on what apps I'm going to need. I just cant deal with Spectrum anymore and I'm returning all my cable boxes on Saturday. I have Netflix, Hulu and access to Amazon prime, what else will I need to fill in the "sports" gap & I don't care about local channels.

Go...
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
The Whistle Is Screaming

Re: Cutting the cord

I'm not opposed to paying for other apps (it's actually what I expected to do) as long as I'm not paying as much as I did with Spectrum.
The Whistle Is Screaming

Not considering satellite, friends have them and aren't any happier as well as being chained to the contracts. All I'm keeping is my internet service, dropped phone for a magic jack around year ago.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Cut the cord five years ago. Hulu for the kids. NBC sports app for cycling. YouTube for everything else. So 50$ a year for the nbc app, 30$/mo for the WiFi and 10/mo for the Hulu.way cheaper.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

The Whistle Is Screaming wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:41 pm Anyone here drop their cable? I need some input on what apps I'm going to need. I just cant deal with Spectrum anymore and I'm returning all my cable boxes on Saturday. I have Netflix, Hulu and access to Amazon prime, what else will I need to fill in the "sports" gap & I don't care about local channels.

Go...
https://www.reddit.com/r/MLBStreams/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nflstreams/

Reddit college football streams.

Onhockey.TV

ESPN+ for college basketball, worth the $5/month

livetotal.net for obscure international sports
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Papa Willie wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:23 pm If it weren’t for sports, I would have cut my shit years ago. I will say you can get some decent deals through DirectTV if you’ve got your cells through AT&T, but they still fuck you. If I knew I could watch the Braves, Falcons, Hawks & Auburn football & basketball without their assistance, I’d drop ‘em in a second...
You can get all that online for free nowadays. See my last post.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Papa Willie wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:06 pm I've tried some of these rooms and things in the past (certainly for CF), but a lot of times the feeds were kind of shitty. I kind of dig the HD without the jumps. Mind you, these were all sort of not legal sites, but... Might have to check into it. Direct has about a gazillion channels of nothing but shit.
The reddit MLB and NFL and, for the most part, CFB, links are 99.9% perfect. Onhockey.tv is 100% perfect.

Livetotal.net is not, but I like it for the international club soccer.
The Whistle Is Screaming

Thanks Screwy, decision is final. Spoke to Mrs Twis at lunch and this is happening.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

The Whistle Is Screaming wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:48 pm Thanks Screwy, decision is final. Spoke to Mrs Twis at lunch and this is happening.
I recommend it. You can always go back if don't like it. Sling and playstation vue are also good if you want to pay for cable like service.
The Whistle Is Screaming

I was looking at sling, but may go with hulu live. Seems to have more (of course more $) but still will save 70-80 per month.

As for all the sports I really need nhl, nfl, MLB
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

I have been saving $100 a month.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

The Whistle Is Screaming wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:54 pm I was looking at sling, but may go with hulu live. Seems to have more (of course more $) but still will save 70-80 per month.

As for all the sports I really need nhl, nfl, MLB
I think YouTubeTV has good sports coverage. Might wanna check them out.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Been thinking about doing this for a while. We pay Spectrum over $200 per month for internet, TV and VoIP. We don’t really watch much network TV anymore and could probably get by with 100% streaming services. Spectrum is the only real broadband option here.

Let us know how it works out.

I’m actually thinking of dropping the TV service but switching from Sprint to Spectrum for cellular. Anybody have Spectrum phones?
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

I have bundled TV, net, and mobile phones with Xfinity for $135 a month. Works for me and Mrs.O. Memory of our first cable (community antenna TV) in a place where TV reception was not possible in the northern Catskill mountains. Paid $5 a month for 3 channels out of the Albany NY area.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:04 pm ...reddit...

Damn right. Just hit up Reddit 10 minutes before any game. Any game.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

It sucks to be in areas where there isn’t competition. We had nothing but Comcast for years in the Northeast and hated it.

Now we have an alternative called Grande and they rock. Fraction of the cost of the big guys for the same or better service.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Left Seater wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:21 pm It sucks to be in areas where there isn’t competition. We had nothing but Comcast for years in the Northeast and hated it.

Now we have an alternative called Grande and they rock. Fraction of the cost of the big guys for the same or better service.
We're pretty lucky in my part of DC to have cable competition, it's really limited Comcast from jacking up my rate for internet over the years. I'm at $50 for 50 MB/month and for years I was paying only $40.

The only thing I do like about cable is the new cable box interface that Comcast has rolled out (finally) after 20 years of that shitty one. Holy shit. You can verbally change the channel (and it works fast). Having DVR would also be nice, but I find a lot of the sports networks' online streaming interfaces allow for easy replays, which is great.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Damn Screwy I feel for ya. We pay $85 per month for HD cable (270 channels), and internet (800 mbps).

That includes one DVR box and Netflix. We pay a bit more for an additional DVR.

Previous it was closer to $200 in Boston and Philly.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

What Screw said.

Ditched everything and went free to air (in a good geographical spot though). For sport, just deleted 500 links and now go through Reddit. You can get anything, picture-perfect.

Not sure what bodes for the future, most general English Football pages were wiped from Reddit, things to come?
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Pffft. Steal away. People will always play sport and others will always watch them play.

Welcome to the CFL. Sport pre-dates the profit-motive, I'm afraid :(
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Papa Willie wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:45 pm
Mikey wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:48 pm Been thinking about doing this for a while. We pay Spectrum over $200 per month for internet, TV and VoIP. We don’t really watch much network TV anymore and could probably get by with 100% streaming services. Spectrum is the only real broadband option here.

I’m actually thinking of dropping the TV service but switching from Sprint to Spectrum for cellular. Anybody have Spectrum phones?
I think Cocks is prevalent down in San Diego. Mostly Spectrum in North County - used to be TWC before they were bought. Our only other choice is AT&T, which is much slower DSL.

That's weird. I figured SD would be nothing but Cox, since that's where their HO is (I thought). That's all we have here, and like Lefty said - there's no competition, and they've been ass-raping us for years.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Mikey wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:48 pm Been thinking about doing this for a while. We pay Spectrum over $200 per month for internet, TV and VoIP. We don’t really watch much network TV anymore and could probably get by with 100% streaming services. Spectrum is the only real broadband option here.

That's weird. I figured SD would be nothing but Cox, since that's where their HO is (I thought). That's all we have here, and like Lefty said - there's no competition, and they've been ass-raping us for years.
I think Cocks is prevalent down in San Diego. Mostly Spectrum in North County - used to be TWC before they were bought. Our only other choice is AT&T, which is much slower DSL
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

I laughed....

We haven't paid for cable for 10 years

San Francisco is 20 years ahead of the rest of the world...which makes me laugh

the truth
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Left Seater wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:29 am Damn Screwy I feel for ya. We pay $85 per month for HD cable (270 channels), and internet (800 mbps).

That includes one DVR box and Netflix. We pay a bit more for an additional DVR.

Previous it was closer to $200 in Boston and Philly.
That's a good deal.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

A KC Scott post...

88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
The Whistle Is Screaming

Thanks friends, good stuff here. I think we will see how things go with roku, Netflix, Amazon prime, hulu and add on if needed. I will have to get familiar Reddit (you can't expect someone who can't navigate around the photobucket watermark to know anything about it).

Mikey, the 1st thing you can do is drop voip and get a magic jack. It will cost an extra $20 to keep your current #. I have been using it for 9 months and have had no problems. Saves about $25 per month on your bill and it costs $39 a year.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

The Whistle Is Screaming wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:21 pm Thanks friends, good stuff here. I think we will see how things go with roku, Netflix, Amazon prime, hulu and add on if needed. I will have to get familiar Reddit (you can't expect someone who can't navigate around the photobucket watermark to know anything about it).
I sent you two links. Also search "college football streams" or CFB streams, etc.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

KC Scott wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:30 pm Reddit stream - it's great for NFL, but then you've got to connect your TV to laptop or tablet via HDMI and deal with the ads and re-directs. NHL was so-so
The reddit streams for NHL are good, but onhockey.tv is more convenient and 99.9% perfect.

I was going to touch on this earlier....I would suggest for anyone "cutting the cord" to get a cheap used (or cheap new) Chromebook (or any sort of laptop or cheap CPU), a long HDMI cord, and wireless keyboard and mouse. Chromebooks make great media players, and they can be great used because you can wipe them and start out with a just like new CPU.

I did buy a Roku 3 when I cut the cord and it's good, but I'm 50/50 as to whether I'd buy another one or just buy another Chromebook. I do enjoy Roku's seamless display when it comes to youtube and ESPN and HBO, Showtime, other sports networks, etc. I do hate how Roku does not allow for a straight up web browser nor allows a keyboard and mouse. Doing everything with your thumbs kind of sucks.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

KC Scott wrote:Dumped Dish and replaced with Roku (lots of free content) - the Roku Ultra is well worth the price

Subscriptions for Roku:

youtubeTV (most sports channels included by far also includes all local stations for $49 mo)
Prime
Netflix (thinking about dumping this) - With Disney starting their own streaming they'll be losing a lot of content

Reddit stream - it's great for NFL, but then you've got to connect your TV to laptop or tablet via HDMI and deal with the ads and re-directs. NHL was so-so
I was thinking about the YouTube TV. How's the UI on that?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:25 pm
I was going to touch on this earlier....I would suggest for anyone "cutting the cord" to get a cheap used (or cheap new) Chromebook (or any sort of laptop or cheap CPU), a long HDMI cord, and wireless keyboard and mouse. Chromebooks make great media players, and they can be great used because you can wipe them and start out with a just like new CPU.
Not a bad suggestion. But most newer laptops (which isn't a "CPU," but does in fact have a CPU) have bluetooth, as do most newer TVs. No HDMI cable necessary (although I still use a HDMI cable with my ancient setup).
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
The Whistle Is Screaming

So I have a new roku TV (primary), but I don't think it has bluetooth. I currently run hulu, Netflix, Amazon prime etc. What is the purpose of the chromebook? Will I need it for Reddit?

Upstairs in our bedroom we have a fire stick and the basement has Jr's xbox attached.

I don't care too much about the other 2, but the livingroom one needs the most capability. Also need to figure out a replacement for the DVR.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

I used an old iPad to run the net on my TV using the Apple TV.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

The Whistle Is Screaming wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:21 pm So I have a new roku TV (primary), but I don't think it has bluetooth. I currently run hulu, Netflix, Amazon prime etc. What is the purpose of the chromebook? Will I need it for Reddit?
Your new roku probably has bluetooth. The chromebook is for internet streaming flexibility that you can't get with your roku. You can run all your over the top box stuff on the Chromebook just as good as over the Roku, but you have way for flexibility to access any normally available webpage.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Kierland wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:51 pm I used an old iPad to run the net on my TV using the Apple TV.
How? Ipads don't have HDMI last time I checked.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

It doesn’t work for all vids, but it’s a pretty high percentage.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:12 am

Uhm... bluetooth?

A friend of mine has an IPad (yuck) as his only source of TV.

And I don't do Apple (even though I work on tech devices for a living... Apple is garbage), I'm pretty fucking sure they make docks for IPad... (Ok, "pretty fucking sure" was a joke... they do).
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

My kid uses his Bluetooth to play stuff from his IPad I just have never found the need. I’m sure I’ll use it one of these days.
My Mac stuff all works great for what I need if for.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:12 am
Kierland wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:51 pm I used an old iPad to run the net on my TV using the Apple TV.
And Apple TV is a separate unit( which is essentially a dock), has all kinds of outputs.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Dinsdale wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:18 am And Apple TV is a separate unit( which is essentially a dock), has all kinds of outputs.
Thanks, yes, I'm a bit slow on the technology uptake.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

On Friday I replaced our old Netgear WiFi router and range extender with three Google WiFi devices. Suddenly we went from a max of about 25 Mbps and frequent buffering delays on the Amazon Fire to 200+ Mbps near the cable modem and minimum of 90 in the rest of the house. Feeling a lot better about streaming right now.

I’ve been walking around the house for the past couple of days running speed test on my iPhone