Erin Hills

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Erin Hills

Post by Goober McTuber »

The U. S. Open is coming to a spectacular public course in Wisconsin next week. Here's an interesting series of articles on how the course got built, with the idea all along of hosting a U. S. Open.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/go ... 100024980/

P.S. Fuck that Chamber Pot Bay abortion. I assume the Open will never return there.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Erin Hills

Post by Mikey »

I'm not reading all that, though I'm sure it's truly spectacular.

For a truly spectacular public course, you can't really top Torrey Pines.

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

It's a fascinating story and an incredible venue. Erin Hills is compared favorably to Shinnecock Hills and Oakmont Country Club. Epic Open venues. Torrey Pines is just another pretty face.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote:It's a fascinating story and an incredible venue. Erin Hills is compared favorably to Shinnecock Hills and Oakmont Country Club. Epic Open venues. Torrey Pines is just another pretty face.
Well, OK. But at least there's actually been an Open played there (2008) and, whatever you may think of Tiger Woods, it was one of the most memorable Opens ever played. 91 total holes played and Woods was barely able to walk off the course when it was over.

Of course, memorable to you may only include things that didn't happen more than three weeks ago.
The 2008 United States Open Championship was the 108th U.S. Open, played June 12–16 at Torrey Pines in La Jolla, California, north of San Diego.[3] Tiger Woods won his third U.S. Open championship and 14th major title by beating Rocco Mediate on the first hole of sudden-death playoff following an 18-hole playoff. With this victory, Woods joined Jack Nicklaus as the only two in golf history to win the career grand slam three times. The U.S. Open was held at the Torrey Pines for the first time, and took place on the South Course.

It was an unlikely victory for Woods, who entered the tournament considerably short of match practice and was plagued throughout the week by an ailing left knee. Two days after the championship, Woods revealed that he would miss the remainder of the 2008 season after undergoing knee surgery. Through the 2017 Masters Tournament, this is his last win in a major championship.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Tiger must have been really hurting. He needed overtime to beat Rocco Mediate. If you look at the top 13 finishers, other than Tiger they have one major amongst the group. Great test of golf. :meds:

It took Torrey Pines 51 years to get the Open. It took Erin Hills 11. In fact, I believe it was awarded the U. S. Amateur before the course was even finished.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote:

It took Torrey Pines 51 years to get the Open. It took Erin Hills 11. In fact, I believe it was awarded the U. S. Amateur before the course was even finished.

Wow...I mean...so what? :meds:
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mikey wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:

Wow...I mean...so what? :meds:
That says a lot to anyone who knows anything about golf. It probably says a lot to anyone who's not a total moron.

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Aside from the majors, most casual golf fans care not about the venue. Same with tennis or even motorsports, unless you've got a particular person that you pull for.

I was golf fan when Tom Watson was in his prime but don't give 2 shits about any other golfer.

I was a tennis fan when McEnroe was slicing and dicing but have cared little about anyone since.

NASCAR pretty much died to me when Earnhardt left us mere mortals... except I still dig Kevin Harvick.

Point is, team sports like the NFL and MLB are the only games I can sit down and watch for any length of time w/o having a vested and/or local interest in the outcome.

What was the topic about, again? A freaking golf course?

Nobody cares.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

I saw Erin Hills and thought it might be about some stacked stripper. Golf course? Whatever.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

What does Erin McQuin have to say about this course?

Not sure I have the correct name but it was worth a shot.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

War Wagon wrote:What was the topic about, again? A freaking golf course?

Nobody cares.
I'm sure you could regale us with a post about some awesome new bowling alley. Go fuck yourself, you half-baked hayseed.

Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Post by Sirfindafold »

who gives a fuck?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Sirfindafold wrote:who gives a fuck?
Your mom. For $5.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Your mom. For $5.
So, how was it?
Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Post by Sirfindafold »

Mikey wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:
Your mom. For $5.
So, how was it?
She wouldn't give him any credit.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mikey wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:
Your mom. For $5.
So, how was it?
Over-priced.

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Goober McTuber wrote: I'm sure you could regale us with a post about some awesome new bowling alley.
Not really, I doubt there's been a new bowling alley built around here in the last 25 years. Serious bowlers are a dying breed, much like people who subscribe to an actual print version of a newspaper they want tossed in their driveway every morning by 5:00 am w/o fail.
Go fuck yourself, you half-baked hayseed.
Hayseed? I'm a city boy, always have been, as you should know quite well by now. The greater KC metro is about 5 times the size of Madison, btw. Not that there's anything wrong with farm or country boys.

Whassa' matter, grumpy Goobs? Hadn't had your coffee yet at 7:11 am or did McD's put too much sugar but not enough vanilla creamer in it? Geez, what a thin skin. You sure like to pass out the "nobody cares" card but hate when it gets dealt your way.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

War Wagon wrote: bowlers are a dying breed
I wonder why that is...

BTW...I do subscribe to an actual print newspaper, and try to read it every morning but sometimes it's a little late to get to before leaving for work.

My carrier gets a nice bonus every Christmas.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

I have actually seen a few new lanes built recently. Granted they aren't the bowling alleys of the 70s or 80s. Instead they are bars and restaurants that happen to have a few lanes as well. You no longer pay per game but rent the lane by the hour.

Drank a bit in one in Cleveland in March that is between the Hyatt and Quicken Loans arena. Unfortunately 88 was out of town or I would bet he would have joined us.

I don't take the print paper anymore but I agree with tipping service providers well. Our garbage guys and for example get a nice envelope each December.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

War Wagon wrote:Whassa' matter, grumpy Goobs? Hadn't had your coffee yet at 7:11 am or did McD's put too much sugar but not enough vanilla creamer in it? Geez, what a thin skin. You sure like to pass out the "nobody cares" card but hate when it gets dealt your way.
More likely he hasn't had his fifth bottle of Beam just yet. But that's Gobbles in a nutshell, loves to dish it out, gets all pissy and offended when the card he plays gets played back.

Old dude has tissue thin skin, but that is what happens when you pass from aged to mummified.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Jim Beam? Sheesh. Wouldn't have that swill in my house.

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Goober McTuber wrote:Tiger must have been really hurting. He needed overtime to beat Rocco Mediate. If you look at the top 13 finishers, other than Tiger they have one major amongst the group. Great test of golf. :meds:
Through 2 rounds, top 18 have zero majors. :lol: :lol:

Roach, you're either trolling or you just know nothing about golf. Probably both.

Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

I'm more interested in Erin's Hills...
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Whole lotta stupid up in here.

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Goober McTuber wrote:Whole lotta stupid up in here.
Not to mention a whole lot of not understanding the history of golf.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Erin Hills is none too easy on the eyes. And it gave up -16, even with crazy rough.

But the craziest thing was seeing what Wisconsinites refer to as "hills." That will never not be funny.

But a whole buncha FAIL on the National Championship. I doubt the USGA will be returning.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

So so full of wrong. In reality there is only one change that needed to be made and that is that the fairways could have been tightened up. Otherwise the course is fantastic and if the aesthetic appeal of the course is lost on you it is because you likely watch the Open Championship and wonder why they are playing it on a cow pasture.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Exactly. As to Dinsdale's idiotic comment, " I doubt the USGA will be returning", Mike Davis loves the course.

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Face it, tubby, you can add golf to the long list of things you don't know jack shit about.

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

I watched quite a bit of the 3rd and 4th round and rather enjoyed seeing players I had never heard of (not that I follow the PGA much) at or near the top of the leader board. Golf course looked fine to me, a challenge for many of the higher ranked players. It was a bad call not having Harman and Koepka in the final pair. That Thomas guy had shot his load the previous day and even somebody as ignorant of the game as me knew that in advance. That scenario is not exclusive to golf, you see it thru-out sports.

One thing I hate about watching golf at any course is the yokels who seem to be at every last tee box yelling "Get in the Hole!" on a 681 yard par 5 or whatever when the guy is just trying to stay out of the trees.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Papa Willie wrote:Shittiest course I've ever seen the USO at. Sorry Goobs. I'm sure there's better in Wisconsin. Why in the fuck didn't they use one?
I heard they only played Erin Hills because smackaholic's backyard wasn't available.

Come on guys, we gotta get as much mileage out of these jokes as we can before the "upgrades" are complete...
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

War Wagon wrote:I watched quite a bit of the 3rd and 4th round and rather enjoyed seeing players I had never heard of (not that I follow the PGA much) at or near the top of the leader board. Golf course looked fine to me, a challenge for many of the higher ranked players. It was a bad call not having Harman and Koepka in the final pair. That Thomas guy had shot his load the previous day and even somebody as ignorant of the game as me knew that in advance. That scenario is not exclusive to golf, you see it thru-out sports.
Pairings are set on the weekend by score and by time of posting in the case of ties.
One thing I hate about watching golf at any course is the yokels who seem to be at every last tee box yelling "Get in the Hole!" on a 681 yard par 5 or whatever when the guy is just trying to stay out of the trees.
There is a special hell for those people.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Papa Willie wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Face it, tubby, you can add golf to the long list of things you don't know jack shit about.
You're obviously used to the ugly.
Thanks for proving my point, fatso.

Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

Gravy course that will never host another...save the bullshit top 5 argument...
Go Bucs, Gators
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Bucmonkey wrote:Gravy course that will never host another...save the bullshit top 5 argument...
Yes, you're an idiot.
Will the US Open return to Erin Hills? Bet on it

By GARY D'AMATO

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

The U.S. Open is scheduled out through 2026, so a return visit to Erin Hills won't happen for at least 10 years.

But there's no way the United States Golf Association isn't coming back.

Not after a week in which players universally praised Erin Hills as a championship venue, the course was in immaculate condition, the spectator experience was exceptional and the whole thing worked well from an operations standpoint.

When I reached USGA executive director Mike Davis by phone Monday, he summed up the week in one word: "Superb."

Davis said he couldn't be more pleased with his organization's partnership with Erin Hills, which bent over backward to accommodate the U.S. Open. The vast 652-acre footprint gave the USGA room it doesn't have at other venues.

"Operationally, I would say I can speak for our ops guys that it was a huge success," Davis said. "Parking and traffic went well. It is such a great site and one of the beauties is it really is built on well-draining soil. Most places would be just mud after all the rain we got last week.

"So from a spectator standpoint it was a very good experience. I actually had people who have been to multiple U.S. Opens tell me it was one of the best they've attended. Also, I think Milwaukee and Wisconsin were great hosts. It was a very welcoming atmosphere. So I think we're very pleased."

The most important consideration, though, is the golf course. It has to challenge the best players in the world, reward their good shots and punish their bad ones – a fine line that is hard to get exactly right, especially at a first-time venue.

So what about all those low scores? Brooks Koepka won with a 16-under-par 272 total, Justin Thomas fired a record-tying 63 in the third round and 31 players finished under par for the championship.

An unusual week of weather, with some rain falling nearly every day and little wind until Sunday, conspired to take the teeth out of Erin Hills. Give the best players in the world soft fairways, perfect greens and calm conditions and there's no stopping them from breaking par.

"As much as people want to measure the winning score as a metric of success, our metric of success is, are we testing the players? Is each hole delivering the way we want it to deliver?" Davis said. "If everybody takes away from Erin Hills looking at only (scores), they're looking at it myopically."

Erin Hills owner Andy Ziegler pointed out that the course was the first par-72 U.S. Open venue since 1992. So although Koepka won with a record-tying 16-under score, his 272 total was only four shots lower than Dustin Johnson's 276 at Oakmont in 2016 and one shot higher than Martin Kaymer's 271 total in 2014 at Pinehurst.

"We had a little slower golf course than we would have liked," Ziegler said. "But a lot of players found it very difficult. Rory (McIlroy), Dustin (Johnson), Jason (Day) – those guys went home (after missing the cut), so I don't think any of those guys found it too easy."

Players are never afraid to voice their opinions about golf courses and have panned several U.S. Open setups in recent years. Most of them loved Erin Hills.

"I didn't really understand the beef it was getting for low scores," Thomas said. "That's not low for the best players in the world in a major championship. I think there's no reason why it couldn't host another U.S. Open."

Ziegler finally was able to catch his breath Monday and reflect on the first-ever U.S. Open in Wisconsin.

"My overwhelming sense as I look back on it today is a sense of appreciation for what all of the people involved did," he said. "Our team at Erin Hills, if you think about it, this is a small group of people that run a small daily fee golf business and the U.S. Open is such an enormous undertaking. I'm highly appreciative and very proud of our team.

"I really, really appreciate the people of Wisconsin. The volunteers did a wonderful job. We exceeded our attendance and merchandise goals. The fans in Wisconsin are the best in the world. It was a great week."

Ziegler said the USGA had an open invitation to bring any of its national championships to his course, up to and including the U.S. Open.

It's far too early for the USGA to commit to another Open to Erin Hills. There's a process that begins with a nomination from the championships committee, which is considering multiple courses for 2027 and beyond.

But Davis gave every indication that the U.S. Open will return.

"We never come in one of these thinking it's going to be a one and done," he said. "If we bring one, we're going to bring multiple."

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

It'll be back here in 2021.

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Papa Willie wrote:By GARY D'AMATO

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

There's plenty more similar articles out there. But keep shining a light on your own stupidity. It looks good on you.

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

How'd you know I used to live in Florida?

BTW, the players and the USGA all seem to disagree with you.

Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

:meds: You will be dead before they return to that high scoring cow pasture Gobs.
Go Bucs, Gators
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Did TPOTS (That Piece Of Tiger Shit) win? No? Great course!!!