It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Rooster
Eternal Scobode

Love stinks!

Post by Rooster »

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... ge-71.html

Bummer. I always liked J. Geils.
When are the Beyoncés and the Justin Beibers of the music industry going to get with the program and die? Their music sucks.
Cock o' the walk, baby!
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Re: Love stinks!

Post by Goober McTuber »

Glass deek.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Glass dick stinks too, though this isn't technically one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Sure it is. This has already been covered in a thread that has J. Geils' name in the thread title.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Goober McTuber wrote:Sure it is. This has already been covered in a thread that has J. Geils' name in the thread title.
That wasn't a death thread.

No foul.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Most likely my fav J. Geils tune. The mix in this shows how versatile a band they really were.

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

War Wagon wrote:Most likely my fav J. Geils tune. The mix in this shows how versatile a band they really were.

After listening to that entire 6:31 again, for the first time in years, the last 3:31 or so reminds of why I liked J. Geils band so very much.

So Dins be damned, they DO belong in the R&RHoF.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Good call wags.

Love Stinks, Centerfold, those aren't the songs that will propel anyone to the RRHOF, unless your name is Ringo Star. That was when JGB sold out to make top 40 hits?money. ZZTop did similar. Like ZZ, J. Geils belongs based on their early work.
Last edited by Joe in PB on Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

Sorry, a repetitive chorus followed by subdued jam session with the guitarist holding a couple of chords on a 3 chord song followed up with the bass player hits a couple of strings while someone is playing the bongos does not do it for me. A very simple light weight version of the Dead (with my apologies of even alluding to the comparison.)
J Geils Band was and is POP, hell they even tried to rip off the JGB moniker from the get go to snare unsuspecting toads.

Inspiration for all you fat heroin junkies.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

atmdad wrote:Sorry, a repetitive chorus followed by subdued jam session with the guitarist holding a couple of chords on a 3 chord song followed up with the bass player hits a couple of strings while someone is playing the bongos does not do it for me. A very simple light weight version of the Dead (with my apologies of even alluding to the comparison.)
J Geils Band was and is POP, hell they even tried to rip off the JGB moniker from the get go to snare unsuspecting toads.

Inspiration for all you fat heroin junkies.
So, now we've heard from the "their music isn't complicated enough" guy.

GFY.

Later JGB was most definitely pop-ish, but their stuff from the 70s was ass-kicking blues rock which they did live as well as anyone.

Was J Geils Jeff Beck?

Not even close. He was an adequate guitar player. But they had Magic Dick, the best damn blues harp playin' white boy evah, who also deserves credit for having the best fucking jewfro of the 70s. Fuck, he had the best one in recorded history. Seth Justman was an excellent keys player and the bassist and drummer were adequate as well. And then there is Peter Wolf. To many, myself included, the best rock front man ever. That fukker put on a fukking party every show.

So, why don't you just go sit in the corner and listen to some Yngwie or Steve Vai.

And I am fairly sure that J Geils Band was JGB before Jerry Garcia Band was JGB. Its not like J Geils was drawing crowds of dead heads expecting Jerry.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

With such a ringing endorsement from our resident music expert, I'll lean towards J. Geils being mediocre.

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

atmdad wrote: J Geils Band was POP...when I remember them. :xxxl:

atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

Ehhh ....., :grin:

One of the stupidest arguments is peoples like in music.

Joe, you are in the San Diego neighborhood, Belly Up Tavern, Friday Aug 18, Hopefully Exene's MS doesn't flare up between now and then.

I already have tickets. At least the original band is all above ground and are pretty tight after all these years. Saw them last time at the BUT and they killed it.

Funny thing is, that in my truck with Sirius I usually have it on the Kenny Chesney No Shoes Radio Station, so what the fuck.
atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

smackaholic wrote: So, why don't you just go sit in the corner and listen to some Yngwie or Steve Vai.
I would prefer scraping my eyeballs out with a spork whilst flattening my scrotum with a quarter stone gavel.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Sudden Sam wrote: I may have to head toward Tampa to see them in St. Pete May 14th.
Why don't you just head toward St. Pete?

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Atmdad, the purpose of my last post wasn't to convince you that JGB is HoF worthy, your mind is already made up on that. It was to show that your statement that JGB were and was always POP was incorrect. I listed 3 different albums, none of which were POP.

Hence your misperceived take on the matter has little relevance.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Love stinks!

Post by smackaholic »

Kinda funny how all those ass kicking R&R bands of the 70s all said fuggit, let's get paid somewhere around 1980.

Who was the first to do it? The list of contenders is long. Right off the top of my head I can think of....
Chicago
REO
Journey
Styx
Foreigner
Fleetwood Mac
ZZ Top

I'm sure someone like B or SC can add a few dozen more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

atmdad wrote:Joe, you are in the San Diego neighborhood, Belly Up Tavern, Friday Aug 18, Hopefully Exene's MS doesn't flare up between now and then.

I already have tickets. At least the original band is all above ground and are pretty tight after all these years. Saw them last time at the BUT and they killed it.
To be honest never heard of the band. I checked them out (Breathless) on Youtube, from a Letterman show 35 years ago. I've never been into punk, maybe because my perceived impression was a lot of it was simplistic power chord strumming played by nerds. X did sound pretty good though, with some good riffs. I see Friday nights show is sold out and a second show on Thursday is now for sale. Have fun, great place for a show.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

smackaholic wrote:Kinda funny how all those ass kicking R&R bands of the 70s all said fuggit, let's get paid somewhere around 1980.

Who was the first to do it? The list of contenders is long. Right off the top of my head I can think of....
Chicago
REO
Journey
Styx
Foreigner
Fleetwood Mac
ZZ Top
Good point, the list of bands who didn't sell out for Top 40 pop pablum is probably shorter.

The band at the top of that list, in my book, is Pink Floyd. I'd add LZ and The Who, but dead drummers sorta' ruined their run.

And of course The Beatles will always remain the gold standard of having gotten better over their years together. Incomparable really. I place them in their own category. Never to be matched, replicated or outdone.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

atmdad wrote:Joe, you are in the San Diego neighborhood, Belly Up Tavern, Friday Aug 18,
I miss Monday nights at the BUT. $5 Spaghetti meal & the Mar Dels would play. Good times.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22