j. Geils Band - Fucked over by the R&RHOF again

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Re: j. Geils Band - Fucked over by the R&RHOF again

Post by Smackie Chan »

Papa Willie wrote:nothing that would peel the shit off a midget's dick after brown-tipping Obama.
:?: :shock: :lol:

Get help.
"I see everything twice!"
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

smackaholic wrote:
BSmack wrote:
smackaholic wrote:It's all subjective rubbish, anyway, once you get into the top 20 or so. Bonham, IMO, is the ultimate blues-based rock drummer. No one has a better feel for this type of playing. And, he showed that he could take on new styles and pwn them later in his career. He is the only one I can think of who can get as deep in a groove as Steve Gadd.

The guy that I feel is rated too high here is Peart. I am a YYYYYUGE Rush and Peart fan, but, as "drummer" pointed out once here, or one of the earlier boards, Neil swings like a rusty gate. WTF ever happened to drummer, BTW? i had never really thought much about the concept of "swing" when rating drummers, but I do now.
I got into a similar discussion with Van during chat. He was finally able to persuade me that there was a fundamental flaw Keith Moon's playing compared to John Bonham's. You're right once you realize that it sticks in your craw.
It fukking sucks when someone who actually knows what the fukk he is talking about enlightens you about one of your hero's flaws, doesn't it?

So, what was Keith's flaw, besides really, really bad substance abuse issues? I still think he is one of the greats. He jsn't what a great drummer is supposed to be. He's rather unique. But, he could swing and he was the perfect drummer for The Who.
Basically that he had almost no swing and was technically very very limited. He could play fast and he could keep time and that's what counts and rock and roll but when it came to finding a groove and sticking to it he was not even in Bonzo's league.

Then again if you ask Ginger Baker he thought they were all shit.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

BSmack wrote:........ he was not even in Bonzo's league.
This statement bothers me a bit.

It says that "Bonzo's League" is kind of like AA groove. Bonzo was an absolute swing king. He is Godlike, hell he is almost Gaddlike. He is first ballot GHOF.

As for Keith, I always thought he was a master of time and could groove when he was looking to groove. It was just that his style was utter chaos and groove is about order and repetition.

Where I find Keith brilliant is that although his playing sounded like someone falling down a flight of stairs with a drum kit, it absolutely fit in with what the band was playing. I believe it was SC or one of the other board music smartypants that noted that Keith's playing fit the band perfectly, better than anyone else.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

smackaholic wrote:I believe it was SC or one of the other board music smartypants that noted that Keith's playing fit the band perfectly, better than anyone else.
I don't think I can take credit for that, and if I did say it, it's from a completely ignorant point of view since I know absolutely nothing technical about drumming. I just know what I like, and Keith always sounded good to me. The closest my uneducated ear could discern regarding what Keith did for The Who was what Mitch Mitchell did for Hendrix. Both sounded like they weren't just keeping the beat, but were almost playing lead parts in some songs, like Hendrix's Fire and The Who's My Generation and Baba O'Riley. As far as commenting on technical prowess and ability, I'll leave that to those who know what they're talking about.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Smackie Chan wrote: As far as commenting on technical prowess and ability, I'll leave that to those who know what they're talking about.
Which, around here, includes...nobody.

Except Dinsdale, of course.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Smackie Chan wrote: As far as commenting on technical prowess and ability, I'll leave that to those who know what they're talking about.
Nice one, cheers Smackie! I'd love to take over, but having trouble understanding the criticism. I think they're saying Moon couldn't comprehend more than one tempo? Who knows, it's mindless Zep-no-babble.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

One of my favorite J. Geils songs

get out, get out while there's still time
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Smackie Chan wrote:
smackaholic wrote:I believe it was SC or one of the other board music smartypants that noted that Keith's playing fit the band perfectly, better than anyone else.
I don't think I can take credit for that, and if I did say it, it's from a completely ignorant point of view since I know absolutely nothing technical about drumming. I just know what I like, and Keith always sounded good to me. The closest my uneducated ear could discern regarding what Keith did for The Who was what Mitch Mitchell did for Hendrix. Both sounded like they weren't just keeping the beat, but were almost playing lead parts in some songs, like Hendrix's Fire and The Who's My Generation and Baba O'Riley. As far as commenting on technical prowess and ability, I'll leave that to those who know what they're talking about.

I seem to recall it was you, but it could have been Van.

Anyhoo, I still believe that while not at the top, skill wise, is right up there with Bonham, Baker and a few others in shaping what would become "rock drummer" dude by the 70s.

As for best, chops wise, Carl Palmer, Bill Bruford and Stewart Copeland are right up there. All three would be at home in a big band.
Biggie
The Great Illuminator

Post by Biggie »

Dinsdale wrote:that would be a "no" on J Geils (sup UCant).
Rack.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Love J. Geils, the first 3 albums are classics. The RRHoF is a joke. I see bands & people inducted that didn't even play R&R. Marshall Tucker is another I deem worthy in a similar situation.
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Papa Willie wrote: That'd be kind of cool. Problem is - almost all the originals are dead now!
Yet they're still out selling some who are already in, those best described as representing the living dead.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Peter Wolf is playing in Hartford in April. Gotta see it.

Has anyone seen him? Will he have any J. Geils members with him? Sure would be nice if he could at least get Magic Dick.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Papa Willie wrote:Problem is - almost all the originals are dead now!
None are dead. On the rare occasions when they still perform, four of the original six are onstage. The only two who aren't are drummer Stephen Jo Bladd and, ironically, J. Geils. Bladd is pretty much retired, and Geils basically doesn't like the other band members and sued them for continuing to use his name for the band. Not sure how that played out.

Saw them a couplethree years ago with those four (Peter Wolf, Seth Justman, Magic Dick, and Danny Klein), and they were phenomenal. Luckily, the band's signature sound doesn't derive from Geils or Bladd. As long as Peter Wolf is singing, Magic Dick is blowin' the harp, and Seth Justman is on keyboards, they sound like the old J. Geils Band.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

smackaholic wrote:Peter Wolf is playing in Hartford in April. Gotta see it.
Looks like his setlist contains a few JGB songs, but most of the solo songs I've heard from him are way more pop than blues. His solo material is a far cry from what he did on the early JGB albums, but somewhat similar to Love Stinks & Freeze Frame. Have fun.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

I think spray was referring to Marshall Tucker. J. Geils still get together every now & then.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Joe in PB wrote:I think spray was referring to Marshall Tucker.
I think you're right, in which case so would he.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Smackie Chan wrote:
smackaholic wrote:Peter Wolf is playing in Hartford in April. Gotta see it.
Looks like his setlist contains a few JGB songs, but most of the solo songs I've heard from him are way more pop than blues. His solo material is a far cry from what he did on the early JGB albums, but somewhat similar to Love Stinks & Freeze Frame. Have fun.
Really?

That sucks. Maybe I'll pass. A magic dickless lineup just wouldn't be the same.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

smackaholic wrote:Maybe I'll pass. A magic dickless lineup just wouldn't be the same.
I can just about guarantee no members of JGB will be with him, but most of his recent sets are heavy with their tunes. Might not be bad. He's a great showman.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

And down goes J Geils. Way to go Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. You killed him.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

BSmack wrote:And down goes J Geils. Way to go Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. You killed him.
That should punch the band's ticket for induction next year.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Smackie Chan wrote:
smackaholic wrote:Maybe I'll pass. A magic dickless lineup just wouldn't be the same.
I can just about guarantee no members of JGB will be with him, but most of his recent sets are heavy with their tunes. Might not be bad. He's a great showman.
Well, there's one we can definitely scratch from the list.

RIP J Geils.

Now that the guy that was blocking them from performing as the JGB, is no more, maybe the rest can get back together as the JGB.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Most of the groups who are left playing today that are worth a shit are so busy counting their concert and tour money at $ 250 a seat plus they could give a fuck about the RRHOF. I personally could give a fuck who gets in, because the RRHOF don't mean shit to me.

I am paying $ 120 a seat to see Tom Petty at Safeco in August, $ 130 a seat to see The Doobie Bros and ZZ Top at Cashmere WA in August, Paid $ 275 a seat to see the Randy Travis tribute show in Nashville in February.

They all can just keep touring and I will keep paying to see them because this live music will not last forever.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

This will take you back to 79 or whenever it came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqDjMZKf-wg[/youtube]
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Derron wrote:This will take you back to 79 or whenever it came out.

Ftfy

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Very interesting thread with good takes and reads, start to finish. Nobody even came close to pissing me off, which is unusual.

RIP J. Geils, enjoyed their music very much. I'll reserve comment on the R&RHoF except to say I'm glad ELO got in.

For some reason I can't explain, whenever I hear tracks by J. Geils band, I'm reminded of Robert Palmer. Maybe Smackie can explain it, I hope so. I hate there being stuff I feel strongly about that I Can't Explain. Maybe that's why I hadn't chimed in on this excellent topic until now.

So if nobody can explain the subliminal connection, I'll blame it on Keith Moon and The Who instead. But I always liked Robert Palmer.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

So, Wags thinks a schmaltzy musician with 1 tune in his discography that doesn't send 90% of people with functioning ears into compete rage is good?

Well, color me SHOCKED!!!!!!!

Although I can think of one thing J Geils and Robert Palmer have in common... it involves well-fed worms.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

There was a time when Robert Palmer was listenable.

https://youtu.be/7_QveXWAZoo

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Dinsdale wrote: Although I can think of one thing J Geils and Robert Palmer have in common... it involves well-fed worms.
Knew that was coming, color me not the least bit shocked.

But surely, Dins, Robert Palmer had more then 1 good song... didn't he? I'm too lazy to search for it and too senile to remember.

Whatever, let that take nothing away from J. Geils band... or my decades old man crush on Keith Moon that has been well documented. I read some of what others critique him for and just shake my head. Regardless of his technical prowess, or lack thereof, the guy just seemed to have FUN, a fucking blast, when he was mashing. You can see and hear that in The Who, even moreso than with Bonzo.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

War Wagon wrote:Very interesting thread with good takes and reads, start to finish. Nobody even came close to pissing me off, which is unusual.

RIP J. Geils, enjoyed their music very much. I'll reserve comment on the R&RHoF except to say I'm glad ELO got in.

For some reason I can't explain, whenever I hear tracks by J. Geils band, I'm reminded of Robert Palmer. Maybe Smackie can explain it, I hope so. I hate there being stuff I feel strongly about that I Can't Explain. Maybe that's why I hadn't chimed in on this excellent topic until now.

So if nobody can explain the subliminal connection, I'll blame it on Keith Moon and The Who instead. But I always liked Robert Palmer.

I blame the stroke.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

smackaholic wrote:I blame the stroke.
That set me back quite a bit, no doubt, but didn't affect me in the least regarding what music I like, before and after.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I figured it might explain the Robert Palmer/J Geils connection.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Nah 'holic, forget I mentioned it and focus on this instead.

Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

BSmack wrote:There was a time when Robert Palmer was listenable.
The clip you posted was pretty cool, but he was also listenable when he was a member of Vinegar Joe. Cool tune from them here:
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Had never heard of Vinegar Joe. Now I have and yeah, that didn't suck.