Smoker controller/PID

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

ElTaco
Networking Securely

Smoker controller/PID

Post by ElTaco »

Do any of you use a PID/controller to help keep your smoker rock solid and going for hours? I'm thinking about ordering the BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2. This is a great controller but a bit on the expensive side and it only has one meat tip, one air temp tip and the fan. Wondering if someone has a really good cheaper option or uses a nicer one that has wifi/bluetooth that would only be a little bit more then the Digiq. For reference, digiq is $300, + or - $20.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: Smoker controller/PID

Post by Carson »

Good smokers are already easy, why bother?.

Adding a blower is just bells and whistles.

I spent $15 bucks on a digital probe thermometer and that's all the tech I need.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Agreed and I can keep my stuff well at this point, usually as low as 240-250 or higher. I am however a geek and would love to use technology wherever I can. In addition, I like the idea of doing a long and slow while I nap or sleep (overnight). I already have a good thermometer. Basically I just want one, so there.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

ElTaco wrote: In addition, I like the idea of doing a long and slow while I nap or sleep (overnight).
You don't need all that shit to do that. I don't even use a digital probe. Tech geek? This is meat, salt and fire. It doesn't get lower tech than that.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

My bro-in-law bought an auger feed pellet smoker last year. You would jizz all over yourself if you saw this thing in action. Cool as hell.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.