Cast iron skillet

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Cast iron skillet

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Alright, so I caved and bought a 12-inch (sup Irie?) cast iron skillet. I'm a little confused on the after care. Is it OK to season with canola oil or do I have to use shortening? Also, do I really have to put it in the oven for at least an hour afterward? That would seem like a huge pain if you were making breakfast before work.

I made a stir fry today and the chicken stuck to the pan, but I guess that's to be expected for your first time, right? Also, while we're talking about stir fry, the point is to have enough oil in the pan right? Maybe that is why it stuck for me, I didn't have enough oil for after the chicken was cooked and I threw in the cabbage and veggies.

Any tips for cast iron cooking? What do you guys specifically like to use them for?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Cast iron skillet

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote:What do you guys specifically like to use them for?

Everything?

Frankly, I'm not as picky about pans as I should be, but if given a choice, I'll grab a cast pan.

Stir frying is better done in a wok (if you have a gas range, anyway). The amount of oil is up to you (spring for peanut oil if you're going balls-out). And generally, you're better off cooking the veg first, moving it to the sides of the pan (much more effective in a wok), then put the meat (cut up pretty small) in the middle of a screaming hot pan.

Fry up a bunch of bacon the season the fucker. Once you get your glazed coating, just rinse it with the hottest water you can get while the pan is still hot -- works fine. Don't ever use soap or a scouring pad (doesn't hurt the pan, you just lose the coating and have to season it again, which kind of defeats the purpose of cast iron).
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Thanks for the tips, broski.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Dinsdale wrote: Don't ever use soap or a scouring pad (doesn't hurt the pan, you just lose the coating and have to season it again, which kind of defeats the purpose of cast iron).
No, it doesn't. I agree you don't ever want to use scouring pads on seasoned cast iron, but a little soap with a plastic bristle brush is fine. I do it with mine all the time with no adverse effect to the coating. Once you rinse the (blistering hot) pan in water most of the junk boils off and all you need is quick once over with the brush and a little soap to degrease.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Screw_Michigan wrote: the chicken stuck to the pan,
That's because your pan wasn't hot enough and/or you didn't use any cooking fat.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Delaware Dave
Jake

Post by Delaware Dave »

If you're serious about cast iron cooking

here cause I'm lazy http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/ ... cast-iron/

Good stuff and she goes all Alton Brown for you. Basically, you can play with it till you get it right, burn off and start over. Don't look to have your skillet smooth as a baby's butt first seasoning. It's going to take time. Until then, cook a shit load of bacon and porkchops and burgers with a shitload of fat in them.
War Wagon wrote:Just what we need, another Dave around here.

Welcome, I guess.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Thanks. Would you recommend the flaxseed oil route?

I never realized how complicated this would be.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Couldn't hurt. I've always used canola oil.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Thanks. Would you recommend the flaxseed oil route?

I never realized how complicated this would be.
Are you still talking about the skillet, or your day job?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Just remember -- everything is complicated when you're stupid.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

This one doesn't need any seasoning.

Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Dinsdale wrote:Just remember -- everything is complicated when you're stupid.

That would require self-awareness...
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I don't have self-awareness. That's why I post here.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

I re-seasoning my cast iron grill with coconut oil for shits and giggles. I'll let you know how it goes.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

KC Scott wrote:The wife has collected a couple Griswold skillets - she will Not use any soap on em

To clean, she fills with water and puts it back on the stove to boil off.

When done she smears Crisco on before they go back in the cupboard
I've been using my skillet once a week. I don't use soap, either. I just use hot water. I have canola oil I have been rubbing on it after use. I think I'm doing OK with it.

If I'm not making progress, I'll probably start using my jizz on it.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

As soon as you are done cooking, put a little water in the still hot pan, use the bristle brush on it. Amazing what a good cleaner boiling water is.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.