Cincinnati Chili

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

mvscal
Blank

Cincinnati Chili

Post by mvscal »

People seem love it or hate. Most hate it. I think that's because it isn't chili. It has some common elements but it isn't even close to what people expect when they eat something called chili. When properly executed, it is a mix of Mexican mole sauce and some kind of northern Indian Mughlai or Punjabi style dish. How it wound up being popularized by a Greek immigrant in Cincinnati fucking Ohio is another mystery. This didn't occur to me until I threw the spice mix into the meat. It was immediately identifiable as a type of garam masala. The red kidney beans (rajma dal) and the dairy heavy finish are also characteristic of northern Indian cuisine.

The ingredients looked a little sketchy at first glance but I kept an open mind and they do work quite well. It was very well balanced.

1.5 lbs ground beef
1 medium onion, fine dice
2 largish garlic cloves, fine dice
1 16 oz can tomato sauce
2 tbs ancho chili powder
2tbs cocoa powder, unsweetened
1 tbs dried oregano
1tbs red wine vinegar
1tbs worcestershire sauce
1 tbs kosher salt
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp cumin
.5 tsp allspice
.5 tsp celery seed
.5 tsp ground cloves
2 bay leaves
A little molasses
1 can red kidney beans
pasta (or basmati rice if you want.)
Finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese, a shitload

Heat a little oil in a heavy three qt. sauce pan, casserole or skillet. Add the beef, salt, onions, garlic, oregano, salt and black pepper. Saute until meat is no longer pink just barely.

Raise heat to medium high, add ~1 cup of water or enough to just cover the beef, the vinegar and WS and the spices minus the cocoa. Reduce by half at least at a rolling boil.

Lower heat to a slow simmer and add the tomato sauce, cocoa and beans. Simmer for at least 30 minutes. Add water or reduce to your preferred consistency. You don't want it too thick or too watery. Adjust seasoning with salt, black pepper and a touch of molasses (don't go overboard. A little bit brings depth to the other spices and a faint hint of sweetness).

Serve over pasta (or rice) and top with a fuck ton of cheese and some diced onions if you like.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Cincinnati Chili

Post by Mikey »

Had it a couple of times and not particularly fond of it. Possibly because, as you said, I was expecting chili. Serving over basmati rice instead of spaghetti noodles sounds like a pretty good fit.

Been thinking of making a batch of real chili this weekend (I'm on a staycation until Wednesday), but will definitely be making some osso buco alla Milanese tomorrow. Picked all missing ingredients today.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Had Osso Buco last Friday night at Topper's in St Maarten. Outstanding.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Goober McTuber wrote:Had Osso Buco last Friday night at Topper's in St Maarten. Outstanding.
Easy to make, too.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I had a several pieces of the veal shank in the freezer from the last time they were on sale at the local market ($7 or $8 vs $11 or $12). For this batch I augmented the frozen ones with a couple of fresh pieces I picked up for the occasion. The fresh pieces were noticeably better (more of the creamy fall-apart texture) than the frozen ones. I must have kept them in the freezer too long.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

:?

Okay, maybe I'm missing something here...

Inspired by Mikey's and mvscal's rave reviews of osso buco, I purchased a package of four thick, pink veal shanks down at the local Costco several weeks back. I followed Marcella Hazan's recipe posted in the Osso thread to the letter, and served it up with roasted garlic-parmesan mashed potatoes and par-roasted Brussels sprouts sautéed in bacon and shallots. Nice meal, but I guess I was expecting... More?

Don't get me wrong: The veal slipped through the string and practically slid off the osso as I plated the dish. And the reduced drippings made for a fine pan gravy. But to read you guys talk about it, I guess I was looking for something, I dunno, transformational? I didn't get it.

I came away from the dish thinking that it made a very nice (and granted, a very tender) pot roast. But not enough to make me ever want to drop the coin on veal again, 'specially when there's a package of perfectly good rib eyes in the case right next to them.

I guess maybe being subjected to what seemed like endless Sunday dinners of the over-cooked, boot-tough chuck roasts served by my grandmother may have soured me a bit on roast beast - though I've come to appreciate that a good, smoked eye-of round roast does make for supreme sammies. Or maybe I've just become accustomed to seeing grill marks on my beef. Regardless, I'll leave the Osso to you connoisseurs and give you both props for inspiring me to try something new.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Were you expecting it to hop off the plate and suck your cock or something? If you seasoned it well and got a nice, deep golden color on the shanks when you sautéed them, it should have been quite delicious. Use your judgment on seasoning.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I grew up in Ohio and approve of this thread.

I've only made Cinci chili a couple times, but used a spice packet. The packet says to basically boil the beef and don't drain it. This grosses me out so I brown it anyway and drain it. It's pretty tasty. Yes, you have to have it on spaghetti noodles. It would not be right any other way. We also used to call it "chili spaghetti." You can really leave out the beans though. Cheese and onions are a must.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

trev wrote:This grosses me out so I brown it anyway and drain it.
Good job getting rid of a lot of the flavor. Try following the technique in my recipe as written just once before you start winging it. Feel free to omit the beans if you wish.