Drinks for the discerning palate AKA Mikey was bored

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Drinks for the discerning palate AKA Mikey was bored

Post by Dinsdale »

My IP has probably changed to where I can post on Beer Advocate again... but why?

They made an egregious error in increasing their "celebrity" by allowing the brewers to post there. My comments about "Rogue should try to make 3 great beers instead of 25 mediocre ones" and "the quality control at Deschutes really went downhill since they expanded" got me banned there...

even though those "opinions" are pretty much irrefutable.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Dinsdale wrote:Beer Advocate
Those morons make me laugh. If a beer doesn't jerk off in your face with ten million percent alcohol and a truckload of hops, they think it sucks.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

mvscal wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:Beer Advocate
Those morons make me laugh. If a beer doesn't jerk off in your face with ten million percent alcohol and a truckload of hops, they think it sucks.

Unless a brewery employee posts there -- then it's the greatest concoction known to mankind.

Their dong-slurping of the Rogue dude was funny, in a kind of sad, pathetic way.

Don't get me wrong -- physically, the original Rogue Brewery is super cool... really awesome, and I love going there. I just have to suffer through their appalling crud while I'm there (although if you get a sampler, you might find something you can choke down).
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Fair point about Rogue. It is better to do just a couple beers right than half ass a dozen or so. I had their Shakespeare Stout many years ago and thought it was phenomenal. I don't know if it has changed recently but it was one of the best stouts I've ever had.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I think they still do Shakespeare.

And Dead Guy.

And about 30 other abominations.

BUT, if you ever find yourself in Newport, Or, it is a must-see for a hophead. You have to walk through the brewery to get to the bar, which sits smack against the bayfront (as in the building forms a seawall on the edge of a marina).
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Decent Christmas tipples if you can find them:

Lancaster Bomber, it's ideal for a good session man, come out of the gates at 3.5 PPH (pints per hour}, then slow down to 1.5 - 2.5, carry on for twelve hours. Thwaites was a great name that fell by the wayside, but they're getting it back - I'll admit, the label sold me on this and it's a brilliant bitter.

I buy a dozen every year, at seven dollars a crack, that's it. It doesn't vary dramatically, this is REAL ale, not for lager louts - IPA drinkers fuck off.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Dr_Phibes wrote: It doesn't vary dramatically, this is REAL ale, not for lager louts - IPA drinkers fuck off.
What about Fuller's IPA?
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Balance the books, we all make sacrifices.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Is it me, or is $85 for a six pack of beer seem a bit excessive?

I appreciate a good craft beer as much as the next fella, but I better be gettin’ a hummer with my sixer for that kinda jack. And not from some sexually repressed Trappist monk, either. Regardless, that brew missed KC by 250 miles. Des Moines? Really?

Still, the winter holidays brought the usual round of tasty seasonal brews. The $85 I could’ve dropped on a half-dozen Westys instead went a long way towards a month-long excursion through seasonals bottled by the likes of O’Dell’s, New Belgium, Deschutes, Bridgeport, Anchor, Bells, Sierra Nevada, Samuel Adams, Schlafly, Mothers, Free State, Shiner, and of course, the hometown boys, Boulevard. Apparently, east coast beers do not travel well to the Flyover.

All of them were malty and hoppy, and sufficiently high gravity enough to elicit a scathing three-post beat-down from mvscal. And they all had their own distinguishing characteristics; some good, some not-so-hot.

I’ve never been into trying to grade beers like the homos over on Beer Advocate do – for me it’s pretty simple. Order one and taste it; if it’s good, order another. And if it’s really good, pick up a sixer to bring home. I suppose of all the brews I have (thus far) sampled this holiday season, the one I liked most was O’Dell’s Isolation Ale. Of course, half the goofs over on BA trashed it, but to me it seemed to have the best balance and flavor of the bunch. Bridgeport’s Ebenezer Ale was a very good close second.

A brew that surprised me, though, was Anchor’s “Special Ale”. This year’s offering had a tart aftertaste that can only be described as cranberry-like. Not my favorite. Deschute’s Jubelale and Bell’s Christmas Ale were both smooth pours that made it home in six packs. Boulevard’s Nutcracker was a staple as well. And New Belgium continued their reign as the Starbucks of the brewing industry with their burnt offering, Snow Day. I can’t figure out what compels me to continue to bother with NB’s beers.

So what have I missed? You can only wade through so many seasonal selections down at the liquor super-mart or your favorite 80 tap tavern. And with the end of the holidays fast-approaching, I want to make this weekend’s selection count. What are you drinking?
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Like you I'm not into grading brews. Either I like it or I don't and, though there is some area between really like and really don't like, I would find it impossible to put a numerical grade on it.

And here's another thing. [sacrilege] I prefer my first taste of any beer, ale, stout, porter, or whatever, to be poured from a cold bottle into a glass straight from the freezer. [/sacrilege]

There I said it. :oops:

I realize that some beers are "meant" to be enjoyed at a slightly higher temperature but I'm not one that can pour a beer into a brandy snifter, swish it around, sniff it, sip it, swish it around some more, gargle a little bit of it, and then write down my impressions. I can enjoy a good brew as it warms in its previously frozen mug, but my first impression HAS to be three or four large gulps (maybe about six ounces) taken all at once at around 32 degrees F. Sorry, that's just me

I tried a bottle of the Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale the other day in this manner. It's a very dark, almost syrupy, ale that says "ale brewed with spices" on the front (9.4% ABV, BTW). It was very good. Tasted kind of like pumpkin pie, but still good. Wouldn't slam 4 or 5 with a plate of Mexican food, but very serviceable.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Frozen beer is a device of the breweries though, your taste buds get in the way of the low production cost - so kill them with temperature.
Get some decent ale into you, 10 - 14 degrees centigrade is or replicates cellar temperature, not room temperature - it's quite cold. You can pound them and have something tasteful, they're not mutually exclusive. And there's no reason to swish tasteful beer around in a barrage of unneccesary adjectives to enjoy it, that's for wankers.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

never been much into IPA's, but a buddy of mine picked up a couple of sixers of this beer called
Pliny the Elder by Russian River Brewing out of California.....he treated it like he was handling nitroglycerin.....told me he needed to drink it within 15 days of it's brew date or it would be shit....never seen anybody get quite so worked up over beer....but I need to say that was some pretty tasty beer....not sure it's worth what he paid for it, but definitely one of the best IPA's I've ever had.....
get out, get out while there's still time
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I've had Pliny. Good stuff.

Lately, I've been quaffing a bunch of Apocalypse IPA by 10 Barrel (out of Bend). I think they have a pub in Boise, even. The 6.8% is a bit much if I attach myself to the barstool too long (I live next to a strip mall pub, and take in games and burgers there frequently). But it's a very good IPA.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

In Phoenix this week, I finally had the chance to sample U&L beer. Full Sail IPA and Deschutes Inversion IPA. The Inversion wasn't bad, but I assume that neither are the best you have to offer.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote:In Phoenix this week, I finally had the chance to sample U&L beer.
You live in Tucson?
:?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Full Sail is a shadow of their former selves since they ramped up production. Back in the Old Days, their signature brew was Full Sail Golden, which was awesome -- not sure if they even make it anymore.

Deschutes... same dealio. They opened another brewery which better than doubled their production, and the drop in quality was immediate. Pointing this out got me banned from Beer Advocate (they didn't like my thoughts on Rogue, either, since their brew "master" posts articles there). Used to be, they could do no wrong. As an aside, one of my funniest moments was at the original Deschutes Brewpub in Bend, before they had outside sales. Long story that concluded with my buddy saying "Mom, I can fish without a license... I can't fish without weed." Good old days.

Really, the only widely-distributed U&L brewery that doesn't suck (OK, not "suck," but lives up to their smaller-days quality) is Bridgeport, whose IPA is great.

Anymore, it's still about the smaller places that haven't gone national or sold out to Inbev yet. Been digging on 10 Barrel lately. And there's some great brewpubs in Portland that don't distribute beyond their facilities, or beyond the metro area.

If you see Deschutes Mirror Pond, give it a whirl. Good pale.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Neither beer was awful, but neither was remarkable. There's a microbrewer on the east side of Madison that makes an APA, an IPA and a double IPA, all of which are better. They have averaged 40% growth every year for the 7 years they've been in business. They recently expanded into the Chicago metro area. We'll see if they can maintain the quality as they ramp up the quantity. So far, so good.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Best of luck with that. I can't think of one example around here that hasn't seen the dropoff.

But the biggest enemy is the huge corporations that come in and make offers the little guys can't refuse. And every last one of the sellout turned to complete crap (although Widmer was always complete crap).
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Dinsdale wrote:If you see Deschutes Mirror Pond, give it a whirl. Good pale.
Big time thumbs up to Mirror Pond. If I recall, a pretty decent % alc too. First time I had it was after a round of golf somewhere out there in the U&L... some golf course around Mt. Hood. Anyways, hit the links all day, low humidity, didn't drink much water, apparently. 19th hole, Mirror Pond- after a few, quick buzz which turned into a full-on, "Holy fuck, I need to settle down here for a bit before I drive back to Portland."

No worries... topped off the night by fucking a ballerina I met at a sushi bar later that night (DragonFish, if I recall the name of the place correctly).

Yeah, Mirror Pond rocks.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Dinsdale wrote:If you see Deschutes Mirror Pond, give it a whirl. Good pale.
It's not bad. I think their Black Butte Porter is 1st rate, though. The best I've had from Deschutes anyway.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Ken wrote:No worries... topped off the night by fucking a ballerina I met at a sushi bar later that night
Was her name Carrie?

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

mvscal wrote:Black Butte Porter

You spelled it wrong -- it's Black Butt.

Black Butte is a land formation southwest of Bend. Black Butt is what you get after drinking the Porter from Deschutes all night.

If you want pure misery, get tanked, then cap the late-night off with a Black Butt. If you're feeling brave, chase it with some red wine.

That said, I've drank approximately a metric shit-tonne of it.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Most IPA is utter rubbish to me. My favorites for right now are...

1. Rhorbach Scotch Ale: A brilliantly balanced beer and by far the best beer that has come out of Rochester.

2. Custom Brewcrafters Night Owl Cream Porter: A beautifully crafted porter.

3. Long Trail Hibernator: Another Scotch ale. Brilliantly done. This brewery is in Vermont, just east of Killington.

4. Saranac Black Forest: In the brewery once responsible for Matts and Utica Club now comes some of the best New York craft beer. Black Forest is one of the best.

"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

BSmack wrote:Most IPA is utter rubbish to me.
Does your husband feel the same way?

BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Tough talk from a guy who shaves his junk.

I like ale made and stored properly, not swill that was designed for soldiers unlucky enough to be stationed in India.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

I think the hops probably bruise your tender palate, Nancy.

BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Hops are fine. It is OVER hopping that is almost always pointless.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

If a brewmaster knows what he's doing, he puts enough malt in it to balance it. Dogfish Head is one of the higher rated east coast microbrewers, but they just load up the hops with no consideration of balance. I find their 60 Minute/90 Minute IPAs to be mediocre.

My favorite local brewmaster puts in 3 lbs of Cascade hops per barrel of his double IPA, but he puts in an appropriate measure of malt. It's a full-flavored beer, but it never seems bitter. He's also highly regarded for his Belgians. And last month he was experimenting with an Imperial Brown Ale, which was quite good.

mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Goober McTuber wrote:If a brewmaster knows what he's doing, he puts enough malt in it to balance it.
Big if in many cases. I would just like to point out the fact that putting "3lbs of Cascade hops per barrel" is stupid. Believe it or not, you can make a balanced, full flavored beer without ridiculous overkill on the ingredients.

It's a marketing gimmick nothing more.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

mvscal wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:If a brewmaster knows what he's doing, he puts enough malt in it to balance it.
Big if in many cases. I would just like to point out the fact that putting "3lbs of Cascade hops per barrel" is stupid. Believe it or not, you can make a balanced, full flavored beer without ridiculous overkill on the ingredients.

It's a marketing gimmick nothing more.
Since you've never tasted the beer, it's pretty easy to dismiss this as standard mvscal blather.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Goober McTuber wrote:Cascade hops
We teach you about microbreweries. We supply your hops (and likely your barley).

Do we have to drink it for you too, or do you at least have that part covered?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Cascade hops
We teach you about microbreweries. We supply your hops (and likely your barley).

Do we have to drink it for you too, or do you at least have that part covered?
We take what we've learned. We buy our hops from those who produce them. Then we build on that.

U&L beer is just so 20th century.

BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Christ Dins, you weren't kidding about Rogue. Here's the Oregon beers available at Beers of the World. Any of them worth drinking?

http://www.mybeersoftheworld.com/microbrews/ot/oregon

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BSmack wrote:Christ Dins, you weren't kidding about Rogue.
Belying my reputation here, I always speak the truth (no2, not2 that2 truth2).

Here's the Oregon beers available at Beers of the World. Any of them worth drinking?
I'll type as I go down the list:

-Full Sail Wassail (winter seasonal) is deece. Full Sail was once awesome, now, not so much.

- Full Sail Sessions Lager is good, but it's relatively cheap around here. Kinda like old school, before the corporate shit took over too badly, American Lager.

- Rogue Whatever... pass. Sad, since their (now main) brewery is... while I've been to an infinitesimal percent of the world's breweries, I can 't imagine a cooler location/setup. It kinda forms a seawall on Yaquina Bay, next door to the boondoggle new buhzillion dollar NOAA research center. Food is good, too. If you're ever in Newport OR, it's amazing (new brewery, not the old brewery -- they've been around a long time). Just get a sampler and save yourself the pain of drinking a full one (although I had a tangerine one there a few years ago that was drinkable... and I HATE fruit beer).

- Widmer Whatever -- the original Portland AB sellout. No big, since even before the sellout, everything they made was complete shit. Add to that, way back when, one of the Widmer brothers used to regularly come into my work and hit on me (I'm actually pretty manly-man IRL, and my sexual preference should be abundantly clear upon a quick perusal of my "fashion sense."), which was the epi-tome of discomfort.

So, of the choices on your list, many (most?) of which I haven't had, the (locally) cheap shit is the only one I could recommend in good faith. Sessions is quite quaffable, too.

That list eats AP balls.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Deschutes is now distributing in Wisconsin. Mirror Pond is OK, nothing special. Not worth $9.49/sixer in the cheapest big box in town.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Actually, YD's boys at Deschutes make pretty good stuff -- not the great stuff they made when they were much smaller, but pretty good.

The steepest gookmart in town doesn't get $9.49 a sixxer.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Shipping costs, I imagine.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Is $9.49 significantly higher than similar locally brewed stuff?

Seems like if that's the case, it won't be very competitive.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Dr_Phibes wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:37 pm Frozen beer is a device of the breweries though, your taste buds get in the way of the low production cost - so kill them with temperature.
Get some decent ale into you, 10 - 14 degrees centigrade is or replicates cellar temperature, not room temperature - it's quite cold. You can pound them and have something tasteful, they're not mutually exclusive. And there's no reason to swish tasteful beer around in a barrage of unneccesary adjectives to enjoy it, that's for wankers.
I decided to wander into the food forum since....well, CdS is kind of unreadable and thought this needed a rack.

I'm surprised a sophisticated wino like Miguel would subscribe to the 'muhrican macroswiller school of "ice cold beah".

A few months back I walk into the kitchen and what do I find? An open, partially drank, 4 dollar pint of Heady Topper sitting on the counter. :evil: :evil:

My first thought was, "fukkin' OL.....I'm gonna slap the shit outta her". She already knows she doesn't like "my beer", but it doesn't stop her from opening one and taking a few sips, from time to time.

After recovering from my rage, out of curiosity, I decided to take a swig to see how horrible it was.

It had sat out on the counter a minimum of 16 hrs. Fully flat, and room temp.....and it was completely drinkable. It was still better than a budweiser at any temp.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Had a delicious Jai Alai IPA from Cigar City Brewing last night. I prefer Two Hearted but Jai Alai is a close second. Just a smooth, high quality, high ABV I PA. Don't mess with a good thing.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17981/46363/
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.