Baja Style Grilled Chipotle Shrimp Tacos

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

mvscal
Blank

Baja Style Grilled Chipotle Shrimp Tacos

Post by mvscal »

This is very simple and quick. It works well with grilled fish, too.

1 lbs peeled, deveined shrimp
4 cups finely shredded green cabbage (you can buy it preshredded in bags if you want)
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 bunch green onions, sliced
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
Avocado, sliced
mayo
smoked paprika
ground chipotle chile
oil
rice vinegar

Slaw:
Combine the cabbage and onions with the lime juice and a splash of vinegar. Season with S&P to taste.

Sauce:
Combine mayo with smoked paprika to taste.

Shrimp:
Combine 2 tbs oil with 1 (heaping) tsp ground chipotle, 1/2 tsp salt and good splash of your favorite hot sauce then toss with shrimp. Thread onto skewers and grill.

Serve with doubled up corn tortillas. You can just wrap them in slightly damp paper towels and microwave on 50% until warm. Load your slaw then shrimp, mayo and avocado.

Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Re: Baja Style Grilled Chipotle Shrimp Tacos

Post by Goober McTuber »

So mayo + smoked paprika = crema Mexicana?

No cheese?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Would suggest adding some lime juice to the marinade.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

We're not making ceviche, you know.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

We're also not marinading anything long enough for the lime juice to cook it.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:Would suggest adding some lime juice to the marinade.
There is plenty of lime kick in the slaw. I do when using it on chicken, though. I'm using achiote oil in a lot of marinades now also.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Goober McTuber wrote:So mayo + smoked paprika = crema Mexicana?
Whichever. They have the same role. I would recommend the mayo, though. I forgot about the mayo the past couple times I've made them and used crema. They were good but there was a little something missing I couldn't quite put my finger on. That would be the subtle smoky flavor from the paprika.
No cheese?
Nope. Avocado works better, IMO. Actually, I don't use cheese in any (genuine) tacos. I'll use the hell out of some cheddar in American fake tacos.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

mvscal wrote:
Mikey wrote:Would suggest adding some lime juice to the marinade.
There is plenty of lime kick in the slaw. I do when using it on chicken, though. I'm using achiote oil in a lot of marinades now also.
Yes, when I have seafood tacos I like to squeeze a little lime juice over them. I think it's better as a counterpoint to the seafood than as an infusion. Though local microbrewery tasting room had some very nice Sriracha-lime shrimp tacos recently, and the lime was right in the sauce/marinade. They also do a nice chili-salmon taco.

missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

My version of Fish tacos
Ingredients
700g firm white fish fillets ( I used deep sea perch)
12 corn Tortilla’s
Marinade
¼ cup Extra Virgin olive oil
1 1/2 limes juiced
1 fresh jalapeno pepper finely chopped
1 tablespoon Ancho chilli powder ( if you can’t find Ancho chilli powder regular is okay)
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
¼ cup chopped fresh corriander leaves
¼ teaspoon salt
Mix together all ingredients for marinade coat fish fillets well & leave for 20 – 30 min
Using a hot pan or bbq grill cook for 4 min on one side flip then about a min for the other
Let rest for 5 min then cut into big chunks
Mexican coleslaw
¼ small cabbage finely shredded
1 extra large or 2 med carrots grated
1 large tomato quartered then thinly sliced
½ red onion finely sliced
½ cup chopped coriander
1 jalepeno chilli pepper seeded & finely sliced
1 ripe avocado cubed
Toss ingredients together in a large salad bowl & add dressing just before serving
Dressing
¼ cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
½ Lime juiced

To Serve
Warm Tortilla's on grill or in a dry pan
Put a large mound of salad on a tortilla & top with chunks of fish fold in half & nom nom nom!

Marinade also works well with chicken or prawns
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Hi missjo. Unfortunately I am unable to buy fish by the gram.

So mvscal, about the tortillas. You use corn. I've always preferred flour. Is that acceptable, or is it every bit as egregious as sauce on brisket?

missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

Goober it's aprox 1 and1/2 pounds :wink:
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Goober McTuber wrote: So mvscal, about the tortillas. You use corn. I've always preferred flour. Is that acceptable, or is it every bit as egregious as sauce on brisket?
Corn for tacos, flour for burritos. Live it, learn it, love it.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

mvscal wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote: So mvscal, about the tortillas. You use corn. I've always preferred flour. Is that acceptable, or is it every bit as egregious as sauce on brisket?
I'll pass.

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

BTW, between the chipotle and the hot sauce, how hot are these? I might be feeding them to some womenfolk.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Depends on your hot sauce and how much chipotle you use. The ground chipotle will have a bit of a bite to it. I would leave it out if I was serving it to my wife, who does not like spicy food.

When I make chili I make a small batch for her and a large batch for everybody else. The large batch has roasted pasillas (not very hot) and anaheim (not hot at all) chiles, a pile of ground California chili powder (not hot) and a pile of New Mexico chili powder (pretty hot). The wife's batch has a roasted green bell pepper and some of the California chili. She always tastes it and says "this is really good, but pretty spicy." Unfortunately you can't make chili without any chili.

Unless you live in Cincinnati, I guess.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Goober McTuber wrote:BTW, between the chipotle and the hot sauce, how hot are these? I might be feeding them to some womenfolk.
I would call them medium-low but I have a pretty high tolerance for heat. If heat is a concern, you can substitute ancho chili powder. It isn't nearly as hot and smoky as chipotle but it does have a nice earthy flavor. You can also make separate batches which might not be a bad idea to do anyway to get a side by side comparison.

You can also add some chopped cilantro to the slaw if you like. I generally don't since I'm not really partial to it.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

I will be trying this recipe no later than this weekend. I have a shit-ton of Gulf shrimp in the freezer. I would chop the cilantro and add it separately, as I like it that way. What do you think of using apple cider vinegar in the slaw as opposed to just white vinegar?

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

mvscal wrote:
I thought that was common knowledge. But maybe not in places that haven't been overrun by Mexicans.

Toss the corn tortillas in a pan of hot oil for 30-60 seconds per side before putting the goodies in them -- tacos.

Toss a big flour tortilla on a lightly oiled pan while putting the goodies in then rolling it up -- burrito.

Ain't rocket science.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:
mvscal wrote:
I thought that was common knowledge. But maybe not in places that haven't been overrun by Mexicans.

Toss the corn tortillas in a pan of hot oil for 30-60 seconds per side before putting the goodies in them -- tacos.

Toss a big flour tortilla on a lightly oiled pan while putting the goodies in then rolling it up -- burrito.

Ain't rocket science.
Then why do they make taco size flour tortillas and label them taco shells?

mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Well, I hope you enjoy your grilled shrimp burritos. They will taste different with flour tortillas. Keep that in mind.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Dinsdale wrote:Toss the corn tortillas in a pan of hot oil for 30-60 seconds per side before putting the goodies in them -- tacos.
If you're making tostadas I suppose. Corn tortillas for tacos are usually just steamed. You can heat them in a dry pan but you can only do a few at a time that way.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

mvscal wrote:Well, I hope you enjoy your grilled shrimp burritos. They will taste different with flour tortillas. Keep that in mind.
I know they taste different. I've had both. I much prefer the flavor and texture of the flour tortilla. And I don't care what you call it.

I will be eating sauce-less brisket tonight.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I'm way in the flour camp.

But proper tacos are corn. Which is why I rarely make/order them(except on Tuesdays), and opt for burritos instead.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:I'm way in the flour camp.

But proper tacos are corn. Which is why I rarely make/order them(except on Tuesdays), and opt for burritos instead.
Maybe I'll make a giant shrimp burrito.