gumbo

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Truman
Eternal Scobode

Re: gumbo

Post by Truman »

Caught this over on the other board, and was glad to see you post it here.

Isnt boxed roux sacrilegious to a Louisiana native? I'd think it akin to par-boiling ribs before they hit the smoker in these parts... Effective, but not the Way Things Are Done. Oh, don't get me wrong... I could see where a box of Zatarain's would improve the efforts of an Toddowen, AP, or some other culinary pinhead, but from the looks of your PET, you'd already gone to a buncha trouble, so what's another 45 minutes?

That said, it's hard to beat Zatarain's for most anything they make, as I've been known to reach for a box of their red beans and rice of a mid-week evening when I don't have 3-5 hours to fix the Genuine Article.
...rouxs can be tricky, they are easy to burn...
I don't have the luxury of a gas range, and I can imagine where this might be the case. There ain't no saving a burnt roux. A big-ass non-stick pot and about 30 minutes of elbow grease usually produces the chocolately-thick base I'm looking for to brew my gumbo.

Never tried your chicken and sausage version; we eat jambalaya every week-or-so, and I always figured it to be redundant. We like to do a seafood gumbo when I can find fresh oysters - which is a rare occasion, sadly, in these parts.

Still, that looks like a fine mess of good eats, JSC, and I thank you for posting it! Can't wait to give it a try when the okra come in season this spring!
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Truman wrote:I don't have the luxury of a gas range, and I can imagine where this might be the case.
That doesn't matter. Heat is heat. You just have to know your own stove.
There ain't no saving a burnt roux.
Good thing it's just a little flour and oil. It really isn't that tough. Just don't get distracted while you're cooking it.
A big-ass non-stick pot
Anyone bringing a teflon pan anywhere near my kitchen is going to get beaten with it. Non-stick pans are completely worthless. Heat your cooking fat properly before you saute anything and you won't have any problems.

Heavy bottomed stainless steel and enameled cast iron are the way to go. If you're cooking on anything else, you're wrong.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I've never had gumbo. What am I missing? All the ingredients sound good to me.

What's up with your picture taking skills, btw? :?

Fewer close ups of your Irie stove and cooking wear, and more of the food, would have been a good thing.