Old Men's Concert Plans

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Re: Old Men's Concert Plans

Post by Joe in PB »

Another new season and another week with back to back shows. Tuesday night I saw the North Mississippi Allstars at the Belly Up Tavern. They were terrific as expected and played a good 2.5 hours. Luther's guitar work was terrific as was the concert until a surprise guest appearance of Charlie Musselwhite. Unfortunately Luther's guitar was at least twice as loud as Charlie's harmonica, and drowned Charlie out. A great show, just a little bummed they couldn't maximize the opportunity of having an awesome harp player contribute.

World Boogie is a masterpiece.

Last night the Record Company was at the Belly Up. They were terrific too, Chris Vos is quite the singer, and guitar player. He played electric, acoustic, lap guitars, and harmonica. Every song on their album is good and some of the live versions were better with more instrumental riffs. Good times.

Last edited by Joe in PB on Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Heard a few songs by The Record Company of Sirius BB King Bluesville. They seem pretty good, and like they'd be great live. Sometimes I miss the old days of being single and living in Cardiff and Quaaludia. Used to go to the Belly Up pretty often back then.

We went to Day 2 of the Playboy Jazz Festival at the Hollywood Bowl on Sunday. There must have been about six or eight acts, starting at 3:00 pm with a half hour set by an all star jazz orchestra from the LAUSD. They were actually really good.

We went mostly to see Lalah Hathaway and Gregory Porter but the act the really stole the show was called Cory Henry and the Funk Apostles. He's an outstanding keyboard player, primary instrument is a B3 but he does all the others too, and a great voice and stage presence. This Prince cover pretty much brought the house down.

He's also the keyboard player for Snarky Puppy.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Goober McTuber wrote:Saw these guys last night. Excellent show.
They sound good and had to be a good time.
Cory Henry & The Funk Apostles @Reggie's Chicago
That funky 70's sound!
Heard a few songs by The Record Company on Sirius BB King Bluesville. They seem pretty good, and like they'd be great live.
Indeed. Chris Vos played a different instrument the first four songs of the show. Starting off playing the harmonica, then electric guitar, and different versions of lap guitar. Oh yeah, jam in the van rocks.

Thanks to Sudden Sam for bringing the Record Company to my attention a couple years ago.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Jason Isbell is great. Will have to go see him if I get a chance.

Next Wednesday we'll be heading up to LA to see Rhiannon Giddens, formerly of the Carolina Chocolate Drops. An amazing talent - sort of Americana/bluegrass/blues.

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Looks like great shows Sam & Mikey.
Last edited by Joe in PB on Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Saw Charlie Musslewhite at the Belly Up Tavern a couple weeks ago.

Next on the docket:

Jimmy Thackery @ Pearl Street Warehouse Wash DC Nov 17th

Jonny Lang @ the Belly Up Dec 6

Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Saw this guy Saturday night at the Stoughton Opera House. Pretty incredible show.

Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

We saw Richard Thompson last summer in San Diego when he was the opening act for Bonnie Raitt. I had never heard of him before, though I was aware of Fairport Convention way back when.
It's always a treat when somebody comes on and you don't know what to expect, and then impresses. He did play a really great set. Obviously a very talented guitar player and songwriter.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mikey wrote:We saw Richard Thompson last summer in San Diego when he was the opening act for Bonnie Raitt. I had never heard of him before, though I was aware of Fairport Convention way back when.
It's always a treat when somebody comes on and you don't know what to expect, and then impresses. He did play a really great set. Obviously a very talented guitar player and songwriter.
If you watch closely he's picking his guitar with thumb and forefinger, and strumming it with 4th and 5th fingers. Fucking amazing guitar player.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Went to the Pearl Street Warehouse at the Wharf in Washington DC last week to see Jimmy Thackery. A very good show, most of it instrumental. It's always nice to see a show or a sporting event when traveling. Good times.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Joe in PB wrote:Went to the Pearl Street Warehouse at the Wharf in Washington DC last week to see Jimmy Thackery.
I knew something really stank here last weekend.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

American Football the band?
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Johnny Lang at the Belly Up Tavern Wednesday night 12/6. If were to describe his style, it would be he plays the guitar like its an extension of his body, and is superb.

Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Joe in PB wrote:...he plays the guitar like its an extension of his body, and is superb.

Nice. Maybe when he gets really good at the guitar, he can buy a Strat...

rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Been to the Stoughton Opera house twice in 6 days. Last Friday was Beausoleil (Cajun music).

Last night was Dinsdale's homeboy, Todd Snider.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I've partied with Todd Snider, in the teen years. He was a friend of some other friends. Beaverton kid.

Never a big fan of his music, but nice guy. He plays around here a lot.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Only half of his show is music. The rest is storytelling. Very entertaining storytelling.

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Summer season is starting, on the docket to start are Sonny Landreth May 10th, and Christina and Michelle Naughton with the San Diego Symphony May 26th.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Sonny Landreth last night. Another great slide guitar player. First really took notice of him on Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival recordings.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Sonny Landreth is damn good. This show went under my radar otherwise I might have found a way to go.

This summer is looking kind of slow for us right now. We've got tickets to see George Benson at Thornton Winery in August.

Just announced Los Lobos, the Mavericks and Ozomatli at Vina Robles Amphitheater in Paso Robles in September. Pre-sale is tomorrow and i'm going to be on-line when it opens up.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Gee, Mikey, looks like you just missed this one three nights ago at Humphrey's Concerts by the Bay:

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Fuck...I missed Weird Al??
:brad: :brad:

I've actually been to some pretty memorable shows at Humphrey's, but haven't been there for a few years and won't be going back.

1 - They cram too many people into a bunch of tiny folding chairs crammed way too close together.
2 - Too may drunk assholes.

Walking to my car after a show there once, there was some guy sitting on the ground puking on my front tire.

We had great seats there for another show (Tedeschi/Trucks), about the 14th row dead center. Some fat fucking couple two or three rows right in front of us decided that they needed to stand up and dance the whole show. All I could really see around them was the keyboard player on one end and the trombone player on the other end. People all around were yelling at them to sit the fuck down, but they didn't sit the entire time. I was throwing used lime wedges I found on the ground at them, to no avail. Security wouldn't do a damn thing. Fuck that. Who the hell wants to dance anyway. I'm too old for that shit.

The amphitheater at Vina Robles is pretty cool. The brown seats in the second section have arm rests and cup holders. Even the open lawn area at the top has great views. I get pre-sale tickets because we belong to the wine club, and we can go to the pre-show bbq in the member's lounge up on top. I just got center seats in the front row just behind the rail for Los Lobos and the Mavericks.

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

The best part of the Weird Al show is that Emo Philips is the opening act.

I also just got tickets for Hot Tuna in December.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote:The best part of the Weird Al show is that Emo Philips is the opening act.

I also just got tickets for Hot Tuna in December.

I saw Hot Tuna out here at a place called Anthology (unfortunately now defunct) a few years ago and would go again if given the chance. Problem is that a lot of the acts on tour that I would like to see, if they stop in the San Diego area, only play at Humphrey's.
I was serious when I said I would not be going back there. A lot of those same acts play in Paso Robles at Vina Robles for two thirds the price. Of course the hotel room and 3 days of wine tasting sort of up the cost, but it makes for a nice weekend.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

I only go to Humphreys when it's a GA show. Agree they pack people in like sardines for seated shows. I rarely go up to Orange County or LA to see a show. Although I am up for a show or game when traveling if opportunity presents itself.

My parents and siblings live in the DC Metro area and I sometimes go to a show while visiting. They have a much better schedule of performers than we have in SD. Of course that's the case too in LA and the bay area.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I might head downtown next week... maybe.

http://www.waterfrontbluesfest.com/artists/
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Summer concert schedule is kind of light this year.

Going to see George Benson at a local winery in August.
Also Los Lobos and the Mavericks in Paso in Sept.

My brother is coming out in a few weeks and we might go see Jeff Beck, Paul Rogers and Ann Wilson in Irvine.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Papa Willie wrote:
Mikey wrote:Summer concert schedule is kind of light this year.

Going to see George Benson at a local winery in August.
Also Los Lobos and the Mavericks in Paso in Sept.

My brother is coming out in a few weeks and we might go see Jeff Beck, Paul Rogers and Ann Wilson in Irvine.
You sure are a lot cooler when you're not talking politics. :hfal:
Fuck ...left something out of that last post.

Trump
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Papa Willie wrote:Image
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Sudden Sam wrote:
Papa Willie wrote: Went and saw these guys weekend before last:
Went and saw them?
Which one of them plays the jug? Acoustic or electric jug?
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Just scored tickets for Van the Man at the Wiltern in LA in February.

I don't want to say how much I paid, but how many more chances will there be to see this guy? Apparently, from recent reviews, he's still a grumpy a-hole but he and the band are still brilliant.

Also, got tickets for Jorma Kaukonen in San Diego in March. Another legend who won't be around forever.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I saw Super Diamond last night. Awesome show. I highly recommend you see them (which seems to be much easier to do on the West Coast).
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Seriously?

Never heard of them until now but it looks like they have a pretty faithful following.

Very strange story.
Early Days in San Francisco
Super Diamond's early performances in San Francisco were at notorious alternative rock venues such as the Paradise Lounge, Slim’s, and the DNA Lounge. The band quickly progressed to regular shows at The Fillmore, The Great American Music Hall and Bimbo’s 365 Club. Much to Super Diamond’s astonishment and delight, they found a plentiful and enthusiastic audience ready to celebrate Neil Diamond's musical legacy. Sell-out shows at all these venues ensued.

n the mid nineties Super Diamond began to expand their fan base with forays into Los Angeles, San Diego, Portland, and Seattle. Before the wider use of the internet and well before social media, Super Diamond generated a new audience in each of these out-of-town markets, relying principally on word-of-mouth. Early shows at the Crocodile in Seattle, The Belly Up Tavern in Solana Beach, and the House of Blues in West Hollywood were well attended and quickly built up to sell-out engagements. Spring-boarding on this, Super Diamond gained audiences at Irving Plaza in New York City, 930 Club in Washington DC, House of Blues in Chicago, Ogden Theater in Denver, The Paradise Rock Club in Boston, and many other venues across the country. “We’ve been traveling the country and spreading the good word of Neil for 15 years now,” Cordeiro said in a phone interview. He and the rest of Super Diamond were just about to go on stage at a House of Blues in San Diego — one of their 110 shows per year. “When we first started it, we never thought it would be a national thing,” Cordeiro, who is also known as Surreal Neil, said. “We thought it would be a little San Francisco band. Now this is how we're making our living. It was a pleasant surprise to find out there was a market for it.” [3] Continuous sell out shows across the country lead to Super Diamond appearing on CNN, Fox News, Comedy Central, Axis TV,[4] and The Late Night Show with David Letterman.[5] Super Diamond has also performed twice at the Hollywood Bowl.[6]
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Was back at the Stoughton Opera House last Thursday for a twin bill. Opening act was the master of Slydeco:

Followed by Marcia, Marcia, Marcia:

When I get a bit ambitious, I'll post a pic of my feet resting on the front of the stage. And I think Sonny stole the show. He did an acoustic set, then an electric set, some of which bordered on psychedelia. Reminded me of Doug Yankus and his band Soup.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Starting to get this summer's schedule lined up. Here's what I have so far:

Keb Mo, May 18, in Poway
Snarky Puppy, May 24, at the Orpheum in LA
Dave Alvin, June 15, in Bonita
Santana and Doobie Brothers, June 23, in Chula Vista

In 10 minutes I'll be getting tickets for Van Morrison on October 8 in Chula Vista.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

What?!? No Tedeschi Trucks?

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Got two tickets for Hamilton tomorrow in Rochester.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:30 pm What?!? No Tedeschi Trucks?
We’ve seen them probably half a dozen (or more) times in the past ten years or so. The OL is tired of seeing them. Wouldn’t mind seeing them again myself. They always put on a great show but I decided to give it a rest this year. Lots of other good opportunities out there and I don’t have anything yet for August or September. Still watching the calendars.

There’s a place here in Carlsbad with a room that seats a couple of hundred at most. Saw a jazz pianist there a couple of years ago named Omar Sosa, who was extraordinary. They have a few shows coming up that I’m considering. David Lindley, Lionel Louke, CJ Chenier and the Red Hot Louisiana Band. I have scheduling conflicts for the first two but seriously considering the Zydeco guys.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Steely Dan isn’t scheduled in SoCal yet this summer. Still waiting to jump on that.