Re: and the winner is???????

Post by Dinsdale »

Busted in the act of being a nice guy.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

You could do a 7 year rota of nothing but west coast courses and none of them would come close to sucking. And you would triple ratings because you can broadcast in prime time.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I've never been to Crosswater, but have watched tournies there on TV. I think it would be a hit. When they built it, they built it loooong, and left room to set it up even longer. Scenic as all get-out, too.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:Goob's senility is kicking in. He'll remember next year, when they go back to Oakmont, and the field will hit less than half the greens, then putt them right off the back. Last time they played there, +5 won it -- because the greens didn't hold shit.
I'm not talking about greens holding shots. The green held the shot I was talking about. It came to a complete stop 7 or 8 feet below the hole. Then rolled off the green.

And the greens might have looked different when Felix drove by. It's also not a spectator friendly course.
http://espn.go.com/golf/usopen15/story/ ... th-us-open

The shot about the U&L was obviously a gratuitous drive-by. I know you have many wonderful courses out there, and I really liked watching continuous live coverage from 1 PM to almost 10 PM. Just not on Fox. Whose contract is for 10 years.

Oh, here's a nice photo of one of the greens:

https://instagram.com/p/4Nmq2zpg2V/
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

There is no question those greens were seriously inconsistent and really young that course had no resemblance to the course I saw last year from the article I read it seems the USGA is responsible for fucking the course up too bad too......I find it interesting that Gary Player was so critical of the course yet I didn't realize he had bid to build the course for the county......I guess I can understand why Player was being such a bitch about it.....i've never understood why the USGA feels compelled to fuck with a golf courses greens if they had just left them alone they would've been fine.....
get out, get out while there's still time
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Papa Willie wrote:
Felix wrote: oh and I blame Fox's cameras for making Chambers Bay look so washed out....the course doesn't look like that....I've been by it a number of times and it's pretty easy to distinguish the fairways and the rough....on TV they looked to be the same color and that's not true at all.../..
Bwahaha!

And again - I'm not ragging on the NW at all, but I would pay you money to find an uglier golf course up there. Jesus - anywhere for that matter. I've never seen people almost intentionally try to make a pretty place ugly like that. Jesus Christ - they could have at least watered the fucking grass!
you know what they charge to play that course....for non-residents, the green fees are $299, if you live in Washington the fees are $275
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

as Dins said, there are a ton on beautiful tough golf courses up here.....they could never hold a major at Bandon, because it just doesn't have the infrastructure....but set those tees back to the tips, and the pros would be in for a rollicking good time.....the Princess is the hardest course I've ever played with Dunes coming in a close second.....but they just can't get the people necessary up there.....as Dins pointed out, Pumpkin Ridge is a tough course that could be made considerably harder by just not watering the greens for a while....Crosswater is money, but wouldn't pose much of a threat to those guys.....

the point being that not all great golf courses are located on the east coast.....there are some really really nice courses out here that could pose problems for those pros.....and what's with the fucking whining....fuck, I put on courses like that all the time.....suck it up Billy and quit acting like a spoiled fucking stooge...
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Papa Willie wrote:Per capita, I'm sure that there are FAR prettier courses out west than there are here in the East, Felix! How many times have you seen me say in this thread that I know how fucking pretty it is out there? That's what I'm saying. It's like these poor bastards went out of their way to fuck this place up! There are TONS of courses out west/NW that would blow the doors off of this shit-pit.

Seriously - that has to embarrass y'all a little bit. I've never seen a trailer-park trash public course around here than had shit brown greens like that. I seriously doubt you have up there, either. What would you think of Augusta Nat'l if they cut down all the trees, let shit-colored fescue grow up, and quit watering the greens?

I'm actually taking up for y'all, because I basically lived in the area. I KNOW how pretty it is up there. Trust me! :grin:
yeah I know what you're saying and truth be told, I am a little embarassed for that course and that the USGA fucked it up so badly....like I said I've been by that course a number of times (as my oldest brother lives about 20 minutes from it) and everytime I've gone by it,it was in spectacular condition

thats what it looks like normally.....now why the USGA thought burning the fairways to a cinder, not watering the greens at all, and not rolling the greens for an even surface is beyond me.....I guess the USGA just wants scores to be in the 5 under range, rather than 15 or 20 under.....after all, they consider the US Open the most difficult tournament in the world.......Ernie Els said that at least 4 of the greens at Chambers were dead....so I guess the USGA uses a scorched earth approach......6 par 4's in excess of 500 yards wasn't enough, lets burn the course up too, that will show em.....
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Rack Billy Horschel for having the balls to come out and tell the truth about the USGA.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Goober McTuber wrote:Rack Billy Horschel for having the balls to come out and tell the truth about the USGA.
there's going to be repercussions......those old white haired fuckers don't like to be made fun of and they certainly don't want players telling them they fucked up, even though everybody knew they did......Horschel will be ostracized by the USGA although I think he could give a flying rats ass about what they think.....they have nothing to do with the PGA tour so in effect Horschel can tell them to go fuck themselves and there's not a lot they can do about it......
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Papa Willie wrote:That's a WHOLE lot more acceptable, but I still wish they would have left some trees up.
You do realize there were no trees to begin with?
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

There probably was trees there -- a hundred years ago. It was a freaking quarry. They used sand/silt that they dredged from the harbor to fill it in.

And rumor has it, the US Open will be back at Chambers in 9 years... maybe they can get it right by then. That's like the USGA defending their shitty prep, it seems. Fuck that, do Sahalee or Pumpkin Ridge (which has proven itself over and over) or the Reserve (proven, and could be made very difficult with enough prep time), or even Crosswater. Just not Chambers.

Or build Bandon into a huge city, which would be ideal. But as it is, the best course complex in the world will never host anything significant, since it truly is surrounded by nothing but cranberries on 3 sides, and the ocean on the 4th.

Aside -- the Bandon dude is trying to obtain more adjacent property to build another course or two. I think there's 5 there already(?). I just find that remarkable -- rich people fly into Coos Bay (about 20 minutes or so up 101, and not a very large city, but at least it's a "city" and not a "town" -- maybe 40K between the surrounding areas) to play golf in the wind in the middle of nowhere. Only thing really going on is a big Ocean Spray plant. Freaking pretty place, though. And over a 5 hour drive for me.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:There probably was trees there -- a hundred years ago.
I guess we could check with Wolfman to be sure.

BSmack

Post by BSmack »

There's a bunch of course around my neck of the woods that are converted quarries. They are some of the nicest places to play on the east side of Rochester. They planted trees on them 40 years ago. I spent most of last Saturday cursing those trees.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Papa Willie wrote: Meaning - it was dirt cheap shit land. Of all the places they could have chosen from that would have been far better. I just don't get it.

For the people that built a golf course on a dump like that, and the people who pay $300 a pop to play it, they should all be starved to death. Whole lotta fucking stupid going on there.
land that close to the Puget Sound is never dirt cheap.....and with Robert Trent Jones Co. designing it, it was going to be expensive no matter what....the course reportedly cost 21 million to build.....so they almost have to charge $300 round to try and recoup their money.....it will take a long time (if ever) to get that money back, but they're in it for the long haul....
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Felix wrote:
Papa Willie wrote: Meaning - it was dirt cheap shit land. Of all the places they could have chosen from that would have been far better. I just don't get it.

For the people that built a golf course on a dump like that, and the people who pay $300 a pop to play it, they should all be starved to death. Whole lotta fucking stupid going on there.
land that close to the Puget Sound is never dirt cheap.....and with Robert Trent Jones Co. designing it, it was going to be expensive no matter what....the course reportedly cost 21 million to build.....so they almost have to charge $300 round to try and recoup their money.....it will take a long time (if ever) to get that money back, but they're in it for the long haul....
With all the golf courses going under across the nation, sounds like a great investment.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Screw_Michigan wrote:With all the golf courses going under across the nation, sounds like a great investment.
lets take a look at some of the public courses that have hosted a US Open....

Pebble Beach-green fees are reportedly about $500 and they're always booked solid

Torrey Pines-charge about $200-250/round (for visitors and depending on the time) and you need to let them know 3 months in advance of when you intend on playing....always booked solid...I was fortunate enough to get on because one of the members of a foursome cancelled...

Pinehurst No. 2-Always ranked as one of the best golf courses in the world and always busy......if you ask for the 252 package, that will get you an overnight stay, breakfast, and a round on No.2 for $252...if you walk up, it would probably cost you in the $300 to $400 range to play No. 2 (they have 7 courses there, but No. 2 is THE course to play at Pinehurst....again, they are always busy.....

Bethpage Black-cost is $130 on weekdays, $150 on weekends and almost impossible to get on, people camp out overnight in order to be one of the first in line to walk-on.....sometimes they can get you out, sometimes they can't.....if you can't get a single out on a course, tell me how busy do you think they are?

make no mistake, holding a US Open is a very prestigious honor in the golfing world, and guaranteed to get you a steady stream of players wanting to play on a course where they held the "toughest test of golf in the world" (USGA's words, not mine)......yeah investing in a golf course right now is a risky business.....some of the courses around here are constantly running specials to get people out to play.....but when you're talking about a course that is considered good enough to host a US Open, you'll have people from all over the world that want to play it.....
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Felix, the difference is those courses are historic. Chambers Bay is a brand new POS that looks like a POS. Why would guys want to pay a premium to play that POS when they can play the other courses you mentioned?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Felix, the difference is those courses are historic. Chambers Bay is a brand new POS that looks like a POS. Why would guys want to pay a premium to play that POS when they can play the other courses you mentioned?
Geography. How many other US Open courses are there within 500 miles of Chambers Bay. Zip, zero, nada, zilch. The grounds crew will put the water back on the course and they money will come pouring in. Period.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Felix, the difference is those courses are historic. Chambers Bay is a brand new POS that looks like a POS. Why would guys want to pay a premium to play that POS when they can play the other courses you mentioned?
10 years ago, Bethpage was a rock filled cratered golf course that you took your old clubs to because you didn't want to fuck up your good clubs hitting rocks and shit....they spent some money and time and turned it into the gem it is now....it's by no means "historic".....same with Whistling Straights, not that old of a course, but with some changes here and there, and new bunker, a shaved green and some fesuce grass, the turned it into a monster.....Chambers is
not a POS as the picture I posted earlier clearly shows.....look, simply because the USGA decided to fuck the course up doesn't take away from the fact it is a beautiful course and a true links setting.....I could post some pictures that make Bandon Dunes look like an uncleaned 1 month old cat box, but the reality is a course doesn't have to be beautiful to be considered a great course...I'm telling you the way that course looked was entirely on the USGA not on the Chambers Bay people.....and I'll make you another bet, in 15 years, that course will be talked about in the same breath as Shinnecock and Whistiling Straights....it needs some maturity to it but once it's firmly established, it will consistently be ranked as one of the top ten courses amatuers can play....
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

And something jarred my memory, and reminded me of a pet peeve I developed during the horrific broadcast -- they kept referring to the "long fescue."

It's TALL Fescue. Shit grows everywhere in the U&L. Hard to keep it out of the (now brown) lawn, unless you mow twice a week.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote:And something jarred my memory, and reminded me of a pet peeve I developed during the horrific broadcast -- they kept referring to the "long fescue."

It's TALL Fescue. Shit grows everywhere in the U&L. Hard to keep it out of the (now brown) lawn, unless you mow twice a week.
that's funny because it's absolutely true...."long fescue", what kind of moron would call it long unless the shit was laying completely down, which no longer makes it fescue, simply makes it a pain in the ass.....hitting out of that shit is dangerous.....tall fescue will wrap around the hosel with the blade of the club following.....I always tell people I'm playing with "head up" if I'm playing from a tall fescue lie......the fucking ball might end up anywhere....but I've hit some pretty impressive shots out of fescue, at least they impressed me and the guys I was playing with.....

motherfucking pus bucket, it's going to be 103 here today, continuing a streak of 100 plus degree days....somewhat dangerous for a guy my age to play in this kind of heat because as you get older you become more susceptible to heat stroke no matter how much water you guzzle down....
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

I played a round with my brother in 95 degree weather. We drank two gallons of water apiece and never had to piss. Absolutely brutal. Got back to the house, crashed out from sheer exhaustion and was woken up by my brother at 1AM telling me he had just called for the ambulance as he was having chest pains. Turned out it was heatstroke. He came through alright, but we don't fuck around with high heat any more.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

BSmack wrote:I played a round with my brother in 95 degree weather. We drank two gallons of water apiece and never had to piss. Absolutely brutal. Got back to the house, crashed out from sheer exhaustion and was woken up by my brother at 1AM telling me he had just called for the ambulance as he was having chest pains. Turned out it was heatstroke. He came through alright, but we don't fuck around with high heat any more.
I could do that shit when I was 25, my brother and I used to go out and play 36 or 45 in 100 degree heat then party like rock stars when we were through.....I a'int 25 no more and heat stroke, or heat exhaustion is a very real, very dangerous situation(s) for someone past 50......
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I was supposed to go today, didn't work out. It's 95. I'm a couple of years short of 50, my buddy is 51. we were probably only going to play 9, but I'll do 18.

When it's this hot, we pound a bunch of water before we go, since we'll likely get stupid-drunk. My buddy is a fat fuck, too.

We'll definitely get out this weekend, probably Sunday, when it's supposed to be 100.

Sounds like you guys are pussies.

And "Tall Fescue" is the species of grass, not a generic term. Extremely common in NW Oregon and Western Washington.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote:I was supposed to go today, didn't work out. It's 95. I'm a couple of years short of 50, my buddy is 51. we were probably only going to play 9, but I'll do 18.
with that much humidity, I'm sure you were wringing wet by the time you finished. Which course did you play?
the web.com tour makes their annual stop here in Boise so I'll be heading down for a couple of days of that......I had a lady just give me 5 full week tickets, clubhouse and hospitality tent access with a face value of $70/ea.....I mean she just handed them to me and said "have fun".....never had anything like that happen.....my brother and I will probably go Sat and Sun for the finish.....tournament is great fun and watching fantastic players play.....we've got a couple of local guys that got sponsors exemptions, so I'll probably follow them for a little bit....

it's supposed to cool down to the lower to mid 90's, still hot but more tolerable....