Format change for next year

The best of the best
Shine
Leads all Lists

Format change for next year

Post by Shine »

I passed on entering this year because I knew my schedule wouldn't allow me to put much time or effort into the thing, at least not on the deadlines/timeframes in place. It's clear others entered even though they must be in a similar boat.* The lack of participation by so-called participants is pathetic.

The other issue is with the forced match-ups where you get people who have no clue about each other facing off. "Hey, I don't know you or anything about you but I'll just assume you suck". As far as assumptions go that's not a bad one all things considered, but still it lacks what I feel the smack-off is really looking for.

My proposed format would be something along these lines:

Let the posters who want to enter, enter. Put a limit somewhere around 32 if the demand gets crazy. Then like the old school WWF Royal Rumble you let everyone into the ring at the same time and let the madness commence. There would be one main thread for all entrants to post in. In addition to the judges we'd assign a referee for the event. If during the course of the free for all the ref deems 2 posters to be locking up they can start a spin-off thread for only the posters in question to take their fight to. That spin-off thread can go on for no more than 1 page, at which point in time they must cease and re-enter the main fray. If 1 poster is getting piled-on by multiple posters then that poster will simply get buttfucked in the mouth until everyone tires of the bloody mess.

This will go on for a timeframe of 3 weeks. Any participant with less than 6 posts, regardless of quality, is automatically out. That means those who can't devote a solid 48 hour chunk of time need to get 2 measly posts in per week to compete. Everyone with 6+ posts is up for review by the judges, and any and all spin-off threads are to be included in the judging. From the original field a final four will be chosen to battle it out for the title.

The longer timeframe and more wide open format should allow for people to get a better sense of who it is exactly that they're smacking. It also opens up more opportunities for counter-punches and pile-ons, two elements generally lacking from the contrived/truncated "battles" we're seeing now.

*the benefit of the doubt is being given to assume "real life" got in the way for the no-shows and not lack of testicular fortitude
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Re: Format change for next year

Post by PSUFAN »

Personally, I like all of it. All I can add is this - maybe next year we'll be able to stir some more interest prior to the event and get some more folks participating. I think the enthusiastic involvement of some of the Stucknut folks has been a welcome surprise this time around..and the multimedia tools have raised the bar some as well.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

I was just going to suggest giving 72 hours per round vice 48. That would still give the judges enough time, and keep this on a one round per week track. But damn if I don't like Shine's suggestion even better.

Rack Shine for putting some serious thought into this.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

Have rounds overlap into a weekend so it offers an opportunity to those that don't fuck around on computers during work or travel. How about Thurs., Fri., Sat and judge the fucking thing on Monday. Jesus this isn't fucking rocket science and if someone decides to drop out for "real stuff" reasons? I suggest not bothering to give a fuck about notifying the organizers in advance, just tell them to go fuck themseves. It works better that way.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Jesus this isn't fucking rocket science
Yep. Thanks for your input prior to the event.

Next time you agree to participate, keep us apprised of your schedule, so we can adjust it accordingly for a smack titan of your towering stature.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

Or maybe bracket into day posters, night poster, and week-end posters.

My .02 would be to keep the thing short. Or short bursts, spread out.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

How about this format?

When the smackoff is announced, you spend your time thinking up funny stuff, rather than wringing out your tampon onto the posting box and faceplanting on the submit button?

Dunno...thinking up funny stuff seems to work for guys like DC and velo and HH.
Dog
Elwood

Post by Dog »

Headhunter wrote:Or maybe bracket into day posters, night poster, and week-end posters.

My .02 would be to keep the thing short. Or short bursts, spread out.

We tried this at stucknut, where each poster was only aloud to make three posts over a 24-hour period. The idea was that it would make it quicker. The 24-hour clock started when the first post was made.

It seemed like a good idea at the time. But there were problems regardless. Mostly the problem was fatigue. After a few rounds, people just aren't into it anymore.
Last edited by Dog on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Religious Warfare: Adults arguing over who has the best imaginary friend.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

I can see that.

I've got some flexibility. I've got a job that allows me to fuck off without notice for a few hours a week. I can keep this up for several weeks. Most people can't. They fall behind at work, orders are backing up in the drive thru.

Smack-offs are definitely marathons.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Y2K wrote:Have rounds overlap into a weekend so it offers an opportunity to those that don't fuck around on computers during work or travel. How about Thurs., Fri., Sat and judge the fucking thing on Monday. Jesus this isn't fucking rocket science and if someone decides to drop out for "real stuff" reasons? I suggest not bothering to give a fuck about notifying the organizers in advance, just tell them to go fuck themseves. It works better that way.
Dude,

You're too busy to participate, but not too busy to participate in constructing next years format?

Looks like someone needs to pick themseves a better excuse for bailing out next time.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

Tardowen wrote:I threaten to jump from the top of the LA Colliseum
Stop talking and start doing, for once.

Face it, Todd, you have no credibility here, until you kill yourself.

Then, at least we can all have a good laugh.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
dotdotdot
Elwood

Post by dotdotdot »

I laughed multiple times while reading the smack decathelon post.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

With all the whinny little cunts we have, well actually one whinny cunt, I think we need a change in the scoring. We should have popular votes and maybe a few superdelegates.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Kid Nashville

Post by Kid Nashville »

smackaholic wrote:With all the whinny little cunts we have, well actually one whinny cunt, I think we need a change in the scoring. We should have popular votes and maybe a few superdelegates.
Whinny cunt? How much more abuse does R-Jack's wife have to take from you losers?
Brock in Va Beach
Jake
Location: Memorial Stadium: Lincoln, NE. The nicest place you could ever go to lose.

Post by Brock in Va Beach »

Kid Nashville wrote:
smackaholic wrote:With all the whinny little cunts we have, well actually one whinny cunt, I think we need a change in the scoring. We should have popular votes and maybe a few superdelegates.
Whinny cunt? How much more abuse does R-Jack's wife have to take from you losers?
Ahhhh the whole "make fun of the guy's wife because I have nothing else routine" worked very well against Saxon back in 2005.

Well done KN. You're becoming a fucking embarrassment around here.
Don't run from a sniper, you'll just die tired.
Kid Nashville

Post by Kid Nashville »

Brock in Va Beach wrote:
Kid Nashville wrote:
Ahhhh the whole "make fun of the guy's wife because I have nothing else routine" worked very well against Saxon back in 2005.

Well done KN. You're becoming a fucking embarrassment around here.
Brock, that wasn't really wife smack so much as it was spelling smack. Way to make me have to explain a joke. But "thanks for playing" you fucking tard.
Brock in Va Beach
Jake
Location: Memorial Stadium: Lincoln, NE. The nicest place you could ever go to lose.

Post by Brock in Va Beach »

If you have to explain your smack, it was pretty much shit in the first place. Continue on with your melt you sappy puss.
Don't run from a sniper, you'll just die tired.